Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Award Ticket - 2 pax 2 PNR vs 2 pax 1 PNR

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2014, 10:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: 1K

When selecting 2 pax, only available award tickets are in Economy (Saver and Standard). When selecting 1 pax, Business Saver and Standard are available. I'm assuming this means that there is only 1x Business Saver and 1x Business Standard award for the specific routing. This is on an Asian *A carrier with a connection.

What are the pitfalls of booking 2 pax on 2 PNR for Business Saver and Standard? My SO is flying with me, so we would like to be sitting together, and the SO has never flown Business before.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 10:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
There is no such thing as a standard partner award; partner awards are saver only. What your search results indicate is there is only one saver business award on the UA connecting flight.

Assuming the miles are all coming from your account, the only real downside to splitting the PNRs is that in case of IRROPS, you may be rebooked separately.

As a 1K, the best strategy is to book what you can now, and keep watching for better options, since changes are free. In this case, I would would book the second ticket as a mixed saver award (Y/J) and waitlist for IN (saver business) on the UA connecting flight.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 10:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kacee
There is no such thing as a standard partner award; partner awards are saver only. What your search results indicate is there is only one saver business award on the UA connecting flight.
Both segments are on a partner award, and miles would be coming from my account.

I'm just curious, since there's no such thing as a standard partner award, why is both option available for selection? In this case, 40K and 60K miles option.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 10:54 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by heng512
I'm just curious, since there's no such thing as a standard partner award, why is both option available for selection? In this case, 40K and 60K miles option.
System bug. All partner awards are saver awards.

Both segments are on a partner award, and miles would be coming from my account.
There is no UA or CM segment?
Old Oct 23, 2014, 11:01 pm
Original Poster

There is no UA or CM segment?
Here's the exact routing:

NH859 HND > HKG
TG629 HKG > BKK

On another note, when select 1 pax, HND > BKK on NH849 shows up (only Business), and when 2 pax are selected, that routing doesn't show up. I guess that infers that there is only available award seat on that routing?
Old Oct 23, 2014, 11:06 pm

I guess that infers that there is only available award seat on that routing?
Yes. Disregard my prior comment about booking a mixed award, I thought you had a UA segment that was affecting the output.

TG will generally open J and F seats on the 380 NRT-BKK between 15 and 30 days out. Unless you're looking right around Jan. 1, which is very heavily booked on the intra-Asia routes this year.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 11:17 pm
Original Poster

TG will generally open J and F seats on the 380 NRT-BKK between 15 and 30 days out. Unless you're looking right around Jan. 1, which is very heavily booked on the intra-Asia routes this year.
Thank you for all the help! I guess the best strategy is to just book the best available business class award tickets now for 2 pax on 1 PNR, and change as better options open up.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 11:29 pm

Thank you for all the help! I guess the best strategy is to just book the best available business class award tickets now for 2 pax on 1 PNR, and change as better options open up.
Yes to booking best available now. Be aware that a downside of one PNR is that any changes must be made in tandem. So there are advantages and disadvantages to doing that.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 6:32 am

Programs: UA Gold, CO Plat, CO Million Miler
As others have said, the only issue with 2 PNRs is possible problems if there are IRROPS. I had pretty much the same question you had when I booked a trip for myself and wife to India 2 years ago. I went ahead and booked for the one saver RT that was available in BF at the time, then checked site a couple of times a day after that. Sure enough, about a week later, a second saver seat in BF opened up and I grabbed it. I don't recall, but I may have booked the second seat in saver Y for the return initially, just to make sure we had it and were on same aircraft in event a second BF seat didn't open.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.