Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ORD-MIA Mainline is Back

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2014, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Sulley
Now we all know that one flight is anecdotal.

The AA flight could have also had 40 NRSA on it, as it's hub to hub.

Or it was full because it took extra passengers who were being rerouted from UA due to a crew issue. @:-)
Old Oct 23, 2014, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by Sulley
Now we all know that one flight is anecdotal.

The AA flight could have also had 40 NRSA on it, as it's hub to hub.

While one flight is anecdotal, I also have flown about 40 Saturday inbounds into MIA or FLL over the last 10 years, so I'm very familiar with the market. And nearly every one of them has been packed, with flights often overbooked. The wide open UA flight was definitely an anomaly.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 8:20 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott BonVoy LT Titanium Elite, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by channa
While one flight is anecdotal, I also have flown about 40 Saturday inbounds into MIA or FLL over the last 10 years, so I'm very familiar with the market. And nearly every one of them has been packed, with flights often overbooked. The wide open UA flight was definitely an anomaly.
As someone originally from South Florida with family still in the area, I share the pain.

I've been stuck in FLL/MIA many times.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by Indelaware
I don't mind bumps - indeed they are enjoyable as is being afforded more time in flight. It is the time on the ground that is a bore. The only time I've ever questioned that it might be better to be on the ground was aboard a sea plane suffering fuel starvation in far northern Ontario -- but only until we reached water's edge enabling me to sit back, relax, and enjoy the pilot dead sticking us into the lake.

The only two amenities worth anything are Ch.9 - which yes, is not available on non-mainline - and the flight map which is only available on select mainline aircraft.

I'd never waste $$ or miles on F. If anything, I find the seats upfront uncomfortable - and often the seatmates stuffy. Indeed, I generally ask to please not be "upgraded." The only seat location better than an aisle in Y, IMO, would be in the cockpit.
Well, thank you for those opinions, which represent about 0.1% of people flying today.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 12:05 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
This is a change I like ^

Family and work bring me to MIA frequently. Shame UA will never compete with AA on MIA-LAX/SFO.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 12:05 pm
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
I'd never waste $$ or miles on F. If anything, I find the seats upfront uncomfortable - and often the seatmates stuffy. Indeed, I generally ask to please not be "upgraded." The only seat location better than an aisle in Y, IMO, would be in the cockpit.
LOL. ^
Old Oct 23, 2014, 12:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA PP, AA, DL, BA, CX, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by Madone59
This is a change I like ^

Family and work bring me to MIA frequently. Shame UA will never compete with AA on MIA-LAX/SFO.
FLL-SFO doesn't work for ya ?
Old Oct 23, 2014, 12:12 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by edcho
First IND and now MIA. I wonder where they are pulling all these mainlines from...
Routes like ORD-DCA/BOS, SFO-STL/MSP, etc., that are seeing certain mainline flights replaced with E75 ultimately free up more mainline frames to operate frequencies to smaller markets. The promise of better F meal service, wifi and streaming entertainment on the 70/76-seaters make this trend far more palatable.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 12:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Silver. Former AA gold. UA MP and DL Plat AMEX cardholder
Originally Posted by 787fan
That's a leisure dominated market. Wouldn't compared it to the business types that would probably ride AA on SFO-MIA.

Either way, UA should start it but I don't think they have the proper aircraft for it now that the 757s are going bye-bye.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 12:20 pm

Programs: NEXUS, UA Club
I'm always amazed at the disdain for non-mainline service. Sure, I don't like regional service because it is a way to weaken labor and pay less in salary, because frequent small planes fill the skies (much better, IMO, to limit the number of flights between points), and then there are safety issues (resulting from overworking crew and lower seniority of crew), but to care about the actual size of the aircraft or their deployment on specific routes seems silly.

A plane is, largely, a plane regardless of size. A seat is a seat.

For those of us who fly quite often, it doesn't really matter what specific routes particular equipment types are deployed. If X% of the routes are flown by RJs, then I figure, X% of the time I'll be on RJs.

I don't find the argument that a longer RJ flight is more unsafe than a shorter RJ flight persuasive as nearly all major safety incidents happen near departure or landing.

A 744 or a Q400 - it doesn't really matter. Each get me there.
Well, I can only speak for myself, but for me it's more about the ammenities than the seat. I've only flown Regional jets on AC and UA, so have to limit my experience to those, but the experience is vastly different. On AC they have AVOD and warm meals on the ER-175/190. On the CRJ-700 they don't have warm meals but very decent cold ones. Drinks are served in real glasses, and there is AVOD as well. The difference between mainline and regional is minimal, and quite honestly I prefer the regional flights (especially the single seats when flying J, and in Y I like not having a middle seat). On the other hand, every time I've flown UA, it's that hideous box of crap, plastic cups and no AVOD. Also, I find UA express to be far more delay prone than AC express, but that could just be due to the routes I fly on. Even if mainline UA isn't always rainbows and unicorns it's still a vastly superior experice to the regionals. Narrow the gap and I wouldn't avoid the regionals so much.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 12:24 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by REPUBLIC757
Either way, UA should start it but I don't think they have the proper aircraft for it now that the 757s are going bye-bye.
MIA-SFO is about the same distance as SFO-JFK, and the A319/320 and 737-7/8/900ER are all entirely appropriate for the stage length. AA uses 737-800s on at least one MIA-SFO frequency (of 3-4).

The issue is that the local market is not huge (a fraction of the MIALAX market) and AA already has an entrenched position at MIA. UA feels it adequately serves the South Florida market from FLL, where it is stronger relative to AA than at MIA.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
That's 1x a day, and not even year round.

If the timing doesn't work for you, it's either connect or fly AA. AA has about 4 frequencies MIA-SFO, so schedule is not really an issue with them.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 12:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA PP, AA, DL, BA, CX, SPG, HHonors
That's a leisure dominated market. Wouldn't compared it to the business types that would probably ride AA on SFO-MIA.

SFO-MIA is only 3x daily across all airlines so it's not like there's a huge business demand either (compared to 5x daily for SFO-FLL)
Old Oct 23, 2014, 1:59 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Losing that hour and a half (depending on traffic) to drive up to FLL kills it for me. I've taken the flight, and dont mind the timing X: FLL but it isn't optimal.

That's a leisure dominated market
^
Old Oct 23, 2014, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Have you seen the jumpseat in a non mainline erj-145? Compare that with a mainline 737's jumpseat. You might change your opinion.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.