flight plan?? {automatic image display disabled due to HUGE image size}

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 21, 2014 at 6:21 pm Reason: see note
Old Oct 21, 2014, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
and????
Old Oct 21, 2014, 4:52 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Are you referring jog around North Korea? There was a similiar discussion in recent posts of http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ts-2012-a.html on the likelihood of a error in the flightaware routing database.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 5:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
The only interesting thing I see is they've returned to the great circle route after flying straight across the Pacific for a while due to an unusual Jetstream path.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 6:32 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Nexus, GE
Originally Posted by Kacee
The only interesting thing I see is they've returned to the great circle route after flying straight across the Pacific for a while due to an unusual Jetstream path.
I once had a flyer sitting next to me on a UA flight get absolutely indignant that the aircraft was going "so far out of the way" and that it would be "so much faster if we just flew in a straight line". It's very hard to find a nice way to explain to someone that the earth is indeed not flat.

Let's hope that wasn't the interest of the OP....
Old Oct 22, 2014, 11:26 am

Programs: UA GS
Flying over North Korea seems ambitious. I know my last trip LAX-PVG we came close to, then jogged west of, the NK border. With the crazies running that horrowshow, I'm not sure I would dare get within 10 miles of that border.....
Old Oct 22, 2014, 12:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by astroflyer
It's very hard to find a nice way to explain to someone that the earth is indeed not flat.
Yes you will lose those people as soon as you say "Mercator projection"
Old Oct 22, 2014, 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Are you referring jog around North Korea? There was a similiar discussion in recent posts of http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ts-2012-a.html on the likelihood of a error in the flightaware routing database.
Those odd jogs in Flightaware are always wrong -- no flight actually ever does that.

I you look at the actual Flightaware path for UA857-21st, it's wrong, too, even though the jog isn't shown. Any white route trace in Flightaware is suspect: only the green traces have support. The white ones are out of Flightaware's service area; Flightradar24 is more accurate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.