Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

New deal provides elite status, increased earning with Hertz {Enrollment link active}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 21, 2014, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SwisherTown
Enrollment link: http://united.com/hertzstatus
Overview

Frequently Asked Questions: https://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/pro...ertz-faqs.aspx

CHICAGO, Oct. 21, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- United Airlines today announced the airline is expanding its partnership with Hertz to offer elevated travel benefits to members of the airline's MileagePlus loyalty program, at Hertz and its Dollar and Thrifty brands become United's exclusive car rental partners beginning Nov. 1. Special perks are also in store for MileagePlus Club and Presidential Plus Card members.

MileagePlus members who book with Hertz may earn the following per rental:
1,250 miles – MileagePlus Global Services, Premier 1K and Premier Platinum members;
1,000 miles – MileagePlus Premier Gold and Premier Silver members;
750 miles – Primary cardmembers of MileagePlus credit cards from Chase; or
500 miles – MileagePlus general members.
MileagePlus members will continue to receive discounts when they book Hertz car rentals via United.com.
Members renting with Dollar and Thrifty will still earn 50 miles per day for rentals of one to four days and 500 miles for rentals five days or longer.

Travelers who reserve car rentals before Nov. 1 will accrue the higher level of benefits available if they pick up their vehicle on or after Nov. 1.

Elite Benefits

Additionally, beginning Jan. 1, 2015, MileagePlus Global Services, Premier 1K and Premier Platinum members and primary MileagePlus Club and Presidential Plus Card members may sign up for complimentary Hertz President's Circle status in the Hertz Gold Plus Rewards program, with benefits that include:
Confirmed availability of standard-equipment economy through full-size, four-door vehicles in the United States and Canada, with a minimum 48-hour advance reservation; and
Confirmed one-car-class upgrade availability at all participating locations in the United States and Canada and select European locations.
Questions/discussion of Hertz's Gold Plus Rewards program or specific rental locations should be directed to that forum: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hertz-gold-plus-rewards-423/
Print Wikipost

New deal provides elite status, increased earning with Hertz {Enrollment link active}

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2014, 2:13 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Originally Posted by goodeats21
So is it confirmed that we only get the tiered "bonus" UA miles if we do not accumulate Hertz points on the rental?

I am not understanding how this will actual work...
While it doesn't say I'm pretty sure it will be one or the other. The Hertz site doesn't let you choose to earn both Hertz points and enter another program as well.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 2:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by goodeats21
So is it confirmed that we only get the tiered "bonus" UA miles if we do not accumulate Hertz points on the rental?

I am not understanding how this will actual work...
What is hard to understand?
Just like now you can choose airline miles or Hertz points.
You can't double-dip.

For those wondering about PC experiences, there's a long thread in the Hertz forum.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR
I've been 5 star for many years but never made it to the Prez Circle before so this is pretty cool.
As one who just made PC after years of 5 star...it's not really any different. They still didn't have my name on the board at LAX last night and made me wait in the Gold line w/everyone else.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 2:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
They still didn't have my name on the board at LAX last night and made me wait in the Gold line w/everyone else.
You have to wait in a line to rent a car?
Old Oct 21, 2014, 2:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Kacee
My reaction exactly. It's completely remarkable. How is that still a thing?
Old Oct 21, 2014, 3:37 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by WIRunner
. . .

Looking at the benefits between the two, Avis PC is a better programme. I have been underwhelmed by Hertz nearly every rental. If I happen to have a problem with Avis, it is not uncommon for a phone call from the station manager, or an instant comp of some sort. Very rarely have I been told "no" when asking for a different car than I've received, and more often than not I get more than the 2 class upgrade.

I really hope that Avis PC sticks around for the Pres Plus members.
I am with you. I love having Avis PC through the Presidential Plus CC. I have never been impressed with Hertz.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Kacee
Originally Posted by mgcsinc
My reaction exactly. It's completely remarkable. How is that still a thing?
When Hertz overbooks and doesn't put your name "on the board", you most definitely have to go inside and wait. Happened to me in LAX and STL back to back weeks. I know if I don't get my alert e-mail from them with my stall number as my plane is landing, I'm SOL and have to deal with this crap.

Just lucky I sprinted off the bus last night after not seeing it - took me 15 minutes to get the *same* Full size I reserved. There were ~30 other Golds in line after me. Only 2 reps working.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by nova08
I wonder how Chase feels about this considering they partner with Avis with the UA branded credit cards. Thought it seems like a positive. I've bounced between Avis First and President's club and I am not sure how President's circle compares to those.

Edit: Just saw that Chase is a part of the announcement. I have to think that this might signal the end of the UA Chase/Avis partnership including President's club membership for the Presidential Plus card holders.
I'm hoping this doesn't end the Hertz/American Express partnership...

There goes United ruining everything again.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 4:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K
When Hertz overbooks and doesn't put your name "on the board", you most definitely have to go inside and wait. Happened to me in LAX and STL back to back weeks. I know if I don't get my alert e-mail from them with my stall number as my plane is landing, I'm SOL and have to deal with this crap.

Just lucky I sprinted off the bus last night after not seeing it - took me 15 minutes to get the *same* Full size I reserved. There were ~30 other Golds in line after me. Only 2 reps working.
That's insane. At national, you never have to wait in line at a full-size (airport, etc.) location. And that's true even if you're just an emerald club person with no status. I don't get how National exists and yet you people put up with this stuff.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 4:54 pm

Programs: UA Plt HertzpresC Avisfirst
FYI, Presidents circle is almost nothing in USA

Just want to give you guys some very accurate INFORMATION based on my experiences with HERTZ PRESIDENTS CIRCLE VERSE HERTZ FIVE STAR

My wife is hertz five star and does approximately 20 rentals per year.
I am Hertz President Circle and I do approximately 80 rentals per year.

When I switched from Avis 4 years ago, for the first year, hertz treated me very nicely. I would reserve a full or premium sedan and get upgraded almost all of the time to a luxury sedan or even luxury or large suv. After the first year its only been downhill. Since I was not happy, I decided to test the system. So whenever traveling with my wife, I would make two reservations (sometimes identical and sometimes just similar). In the end we would use the reservation that was assigned the better car. In the past three years there have been very few trips that I was assigned a better car then my wife. In fact there was a number of times that I got the same car class I reserved and my wife got a 2, 3, or 4 car class upgrade. I always reserve a full size or higher, sometimes I get a nice upgrade and sometimes I get downgrades. The official rules say maximum upgrades is a full size so I guess the loyalty program is targeting people that reserve cheap cars.

In conclusion, I really don't think Hertz PC gets you any better service or better upgrades then five star. If anything, they try to sell you upgrades rather then hand them for free because they see you might have better access funds to do so.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 4:58 pm

Programs: UA Plt HertzpresC Avisfirst
Base on my 10+ times a year experience HERTZ LAX is the worst Rental location in the world. Always mess ups and long lines at the gold counter. Customer service there also stinks.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 5:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
Does this also mean that Hertz will no longer charge that stupid $.75/day frequent flyer surcharge if you want United miles? I've always thought that having to pay a fee for miles on top of what you're already paying for the rental is silly. Plus, if United and Hertz now have an exclusive partnership, I'd expect that Hertz's costs of managing their frequent flyer program would now have dropped.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 5:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
At national, you never have to wait in line at a full-size (airport, etc.) location. And that's true even if you're just an emerald club person with no status.
Plus at National, if you are EC, and reserve a midsize, you almost always get a free upgrade to a full size or better. At certain airports where they have particularly nice fleets (PHX, PSP), I've gotten a luxury car for the el cheapo midsize price.

I don't get how National exists and yet you people put up with this stuff.
It's got to be mostly corporate contracts. Hertz has lots of those. When I worked for a large securities firm we were required to book Hertz. It was awful. They would not deviate from booked car class for anything.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 5:25 pm

Programs: United 1K, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Goodtimes321
Base on my 10+ times a year experience HERTZ LAX is the worst Rental location in the world. Always mess ups and long lines at the gold counter. Customer service there also stinks.
This. When waiting after getting off the plane at LAX, I often see three Avis buses go by before a Hertz bus finally swings around. The cars I've gotten at LAX are far worse than any other location I've rented from. Cars in Gold Choice are bottom of the barrel. Customer service leaves much to be desired. Some (not all) Monday mornings, the line to exit the facility with my car has been horrendously long. The only positive is that I get to see the Lamborghini sitting there. One can dream!
Old Oct 21, 2014, 5:53 pm

As a Hertz PC for this year (20+ stays) just know that it's very, very underwhelming.
I made PC when it took 40 and I agree: Veryunderwhelming.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.