Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

New deal provides elite status, increased earning with Hertz {Enrollment link active}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 21, 2014, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SwisherTown
Enrollment link: http://united.com/hertzstatus
Overview

Frequently Asked Questions: https://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/pro...ertz-faqs.aspx

CHICAGO, Oct. 21, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- United Airlines today announced the airline is expanding its partnership with Hertz to offer elevated travel benefits to members of the airline's MileagePlus loyalty program, at Hertz and its Dollar and Thrifty brands become United's exclusive car rental partners beginning Nov. 1. Special perks are also in store for MileagePlus Club and Presidential Plus Card members.

MileagePlus members who book with Hertz may earn the following per rental:
1,250 miles – MileagePlus Global Services, Premier 1K and Premier Platinum members;
1,000 miles – MileagePlus Premier Gold and Premier Silver members;
750 miles – Primary cardmembers of MileagePlus credit cards from Chase; or
500 miles – MileagePlus general members.
MileagePlus members will continue to receive discounts when they book Hertz car rentals via United.com.
Members renting with Dollar and Thrifty will still earn 50 miles per day for rentals of one to four days and 500 miles for rentals five days or longer.

Travelers who reserve car rentals before Nov. 1 will accrue the higher level of benefits available if they pick up their vehicle on or after Nov. 1.

Elite Benefits

Additionally, beginning Jan. 1, 2015, MileagePlus Global Services, Premier 1K and Premier Platinum members and primary MileagePlus Club and Presidential Plus Card members may sign up for complimentary Hertz President's Circle status in the Hertz Gold Plus Rewards program, with benefits that include:
Confirmed availability of standard-equipment economy through full-size, four-door vehicles in the United States and Canada, with a minimum 48-hour advance reservation; and
Confirmed one-car-class upgrade availability at all participating locations in the United States and Canada and select European locations.
Questions/discussion of Hertz's Gold Plus Rewards program or specific rental locations should be directed to that forum: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hertz-gold-plus-rewards-423/
Print Wikipost

New deal provides elite status, increased earning with Hertz {Enrollment link active}

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2014, 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by exerda
Originally Posted by CrazyInteg
No PQDs?
Why would they?
Because of the exclusivity.

If they won't allow me to earn miles on other car rental agencies, then PQDs would be nice.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 12:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by iflyuaaa
If I get the ua miles, does that mean no hertz points?
I would be interested in the answer to this too. Anyone know?

Also: if I am a Hertz Gold member, how do I get my Hertz Gold # automatically into my United profile so that I get to bypass the counter?

Last edited by alexperi; Oct 21, 2014 at 12:40 pm
Old Oct 21, 2014, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by joshwex90
It says "as Hertz and its Dollar and Thrifty brands become United's exclusive car rental partners beginning Nov. 1."

Does that mean I can no longer earn MP miles for rentals with Avis after November 1?
"Exclusive"

That's exactly what that means.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by CrazyInteg
"Exclusive"

That's exactly what that means.
So this is completely wrong: http://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/mark...lPartners.aspx?
Old Oct 21, 2014, 12:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by joshwex90
Wonder if they're going to update that.

Although "exclusive" is one of those marketing buzzwords that can mean absolutely nothing.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by Kacee
Wonder if they're going to update that.

Although "exclusive" is one of those marketing buzzwords that can mean absolutely nothing.
Which is exactly why I asked. "Exclusive" can be used in so many ways.

For example, they are the "exclusive" partnership to offer status. So UA offers that benefit with no other car program and/or Hertz doesn't have that relationship with any other airline. But that doesn't mean anything about earning miles
Old Oct 21, 2014, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Kacee
Hertz would still be my last choice. One of the most customer-unfriendly businesses you will ever find. If there's ever a problem (such as a dishonored reservation), Hertz corporate's response to me has always been "get lost."
I had a problem with a Hertz rental in June (reserved a "C" car) and they had none left, and would only move me down to an "A" car, and not up to the next level off. I managed to get a 20% off coupon as an appology, joy.

Originally Posted by Sykes
I hope not. As both Avis President's Club (by virtue of PP) and Hertz President's Circle, I can say that Avis President's Club is miles and miles ahead of the Hertz program.
Looking at the benefits between the two, Avis PC is a better programme. I have been underwhelmed by Hertz nearly every rental. If I happen to have a problem with Avis, it is not uncommon for a phone call from the station manager, or an instant comp of some sort. Very rarely have I been told "no" when asking for a different car than I've received, and more often than not I get more than the 2 class upgrade.

I really hope that Avis PC sticks around for the Pres Plus members.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 1:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EP, DL PL, HH Dia, Marriott Gld, National Exp
Originally Posted by Soccerdad1995
I wouldn't feel too bad for them. I'm guessing that the majority earned it the cheap and easy way (using OPM) just like most of the airline elites.
I'm a Hertz PC earned the hard and expensive way, with over 60 rentals per year, all last minute, one-day, mostly weekday rentals that usually run over $100 per day. Guess Hertz caught up to airlines ... when everyone is an elite, no one is.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 1:11 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, DL FO, DL MM, Marriott Gold, Hyatt platinum
This is a positive step. But I'm going to stick with National.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 1:14 pm

Programs: UA gold; WN A; PC plat; Marriott Gold
you get either or, not both.
when you book a hertz reservation on hertz.com, on the last page where you enter your flight info and credit card etc, you can select hertz points (the default) or an airline program to credit to.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 1:24 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold
That's been my experience- you get one or the other but not both. I don't bother with UA miles anymore since the numbers are so paltry compared to flights or CC spending. I actually like having Hertz points available to use for personal trips/vacations.

I've been pretty loyal to Hertz since somehow an old company code became permanently associated with my profile that most of my rentals are about half compared to other promo rates. I've tried giving the code to others but it only seems to work with my account.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 1:34 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
I love this! Hertz is my company's #1 preferred rental car company and mine as well...and our CDP is hard to beat rate wise..very rarely do I find a better rate for personal rentals... perhaps occasionally on a very slow travel weekend when an $18 per day rate for a full size pops up.

I've been 5 star for many years but never made it to the Prez Circle before so this is pretty cool. And with the mileage earning changes next year it'll be a tough call whether or not to put my rental points in my UA account or with Hertz Rewards... I use Hertz Rewards now because the mileage earning is pretty paltry. But 1,250 per rental is not bad.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 1:40 pm

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1.3MM Gold, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott L-T Plat, Hertz PC
Does Hertz add still add a surcharge (they used to) when claiming airline "miles" instead of Hertz points?
Old Oct 21, 2014, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
So is it confirmed that we only get the tiered "bonus" UA miles if we do not accumulate Hertz points on the rental?

I am not understanding how this will actual work...
Old Oct 21, 2014, 1:58 pm

Programs: AS MVPG; Hertz Pres; Tanquery Million Minier
Seems like a pretty good deal to me. My company also uses Hertz almost exclusively and I can use that CDP for personal as well, so this only helps with that. As a 5-star I've gotten upgrades on every personal rental this year and none of my corporate rentals, which almost makes me wonder if it's a corporate policy limitation and not specifically a Hertz thing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.