Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Uncoordinated AC/UA experience: What alliance?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Uncoordinated AC/UA experience: What alliance?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2014, 5:29 am

Programs: UA 1K/1.5 million miler, SU Gold, JL Sapphire
I think this alliance thing, albeit sometimes useful, is in fact overhyped a bit.

I came back from India, on AI, then transfer on to UA in DEL. Two tickets, the folks in HYD would not check my luggage through even if people told me that this is a benefit. Not that I mind too much since I had plenty of time in DEL, but still...

Then, went UA->NH in NRT. Two different tickets. UA checked my luggage to final destination alright, but no boarding pass. So, when I arrived in NRT, went to the domestic NH counter, where they dutifully issued a boarding pass... and retagged my luggage

(This time, I was late, but then this being Japan and the immigration not being busy, it went well).

Probably an area for improvement. Not that it mattered that much so far, but it would ease connections and flexibility when building an itinerary for servicing clients (just changing a ticket to change origination and termination points is way too expensive, and the UA service center told me not to do that anyway, not worth it!)
Old Oct 22, 2014, 5:52 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH LTD
Originally Posted by kenn0223
UA doesn't do mobile boarding passes for non-UA flights (nor does any other airline I've experienced).
LH does for UA and AC flights.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 1:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
i am flying AC- EWR today then UA then Air India.
AC will not be able to ticket the bags all the way unless i get a supervisor and force the issue.. Most AC staff are so poorly trained they have no idea what stat rules are.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 7:32 pm

Programs: UA Silver
AC and UA computers don't talk that well. I can never check-in on a first-segment AC when travelling on a UA ticket: the system kicks me out just before printing the BP, just after entering passport information. AC agents cannot print BP until 12hrs before first flight. Definitely not as seemless as DL/KL/AF for instance.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 9:37 pm

Programs: United
I struggle with code share connections too. Last trip I couldn't check in on line (if AC is from the Stone Age, couldnt even begin to describe where Brussels Air is from).

Unfortunately, I had a tight connection and was informed at the transfer desk that I was too late, technically to check in for my next flight. They did let me board, so there was really no damage done other than stress and anxiety, I guess.

I think it's maybe a matter of better expectation setting. If the two airlines are really separate on the back end, dont pretend they are united on the front end.

I have one business destination that I think I'll need to switch to BA for.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 8:50 am

Programs: UA nada, Hyatt Disc, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mapu
LH does for UA and AC flights.
SK does it for WF and LH flights as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.