Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Presidential Plus not currently supported by Apple Pay

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Presidential Plus not currently supported by Apple Pay

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2014, 11:43 pm

Been using my UA PP card for a few years now on my phone to pay... except with an Android phone on Google Wallet and Softcard (formerly ISIS)

I am sure I will get hate for this...

Anyways AMEX cards were added to the wife's iPhone today without issue. UA PP card would not add as others are finding out.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 12:02 am

Programs: Million Miler, 1K - Basically spend a lot of time on planes
MileagePlus Club Visa Card works fine, Amex Platinum works fine, but the Chase Ink Bold does not.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 3:34 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH LTD
Keep Chase busy with complaints and they will have to do something about it eventually.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 2:55 pm

Programs: AS MVP / AA Plat / ex-UA Silver
Originally Posted by mapu
Keep Chase busy with complaints and they will have to do something about it eventually.
Definitely agree. Mileage Plus Explorer MasterCard is not eligible for Apple Pay either, and I called to post a complaint. They don't have plans to migrate MCs over either, which is frustrating. They told me I could close my current MC card, and open a visa one instead if I wanted Apple pay.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 3:32 pm

Programs: UA Gold, CO Plat, CO Million Miler
Well, I took the easy way out. I just called Chase and migrated my Presidential Plus Card to Mileage Plus Club which is a VISA card and supported by Apple Pay. It took only a few minutes on the phone with and I'll have the new card in 3-5 business days. Benefits vary slightly...no more flex miles, but 1-1/2 miles for every dollar of spend, are probably the most significant.

Other than that, I'm sad in that the card is one last vestige of PMCO to go down the tube.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 6:44 pm

Programs: Hyatt, Hilton, US Airways, United, American, Delta
Has anyone gotten Apple pay to verify the Chase Visa MileagePlus Select? Tried yesterday and called the toll free number. The iPhone said to call Chase to verify with them. I called and the 30 minutes was wasted. They added by cell number to the account which didn't help. Tried several times tonight to no avail. Would like to see if others are having the problem or if it just me.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 7:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by hughw
I just ... migrated my Presidential Plus Card to Mileage Plus Club ... Benefits vary slightly...no more flex miles, but 1-1/2 miles for every dollar of spend
Wow, that's a big give-up by you. I see that you're 1K, so that means you qualified the hard way with 0 FQM's and all BIS miles (and possibly purchased accelerator miles). If you plan to keep up that level of flying, then I guess the FQMs don't and never would have any value to you.

I suspect that most folks with the PP card value the FQM's very highly in terms of re-qualifying for premiere status, and would not want to give it up quite so easily.

I'm in a similar situation, where I have a non-Chase card that has an NFC element built into the card, but such an option is not available from Chase. I realized that even if I used that card in lieu of the Chase card for 100% of purchases where POS supported NFC, it might in a year or two be a fairly good percentage of purchases by transaction could, but not dollar amount, as most of my high-dollar transactions tend to be for things like online purchases and hotel stays, where NFC is less of an issue. So if I really wanted Apple Pay but still wanted UA miles, I'd get the lowest-cost Chase United Visa available to add to Apple Pay, and keep the PP card for large purchases and the FQM's.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 8:52 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by Tchiowa
A tad OT but why is everyone so fascinated with Apply Pay? The same service has been available on my Samsung phone for over a year.
Because it's not the same service. With Android, all of the charges go through Google. With Apple Pay, Apple never sees your charges. Some of us don't want one company owning all of our information. There are also some substantial security advantages to Apple Pay.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 9:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by roberton
Because it's not the same service. With Android, all of the charges go through Google. With Apple Pay, Apple never sees your charges. Some of us don't want one company owning all of our information. There are also some substantial security advantages to Apple Pay.
So you're under the impression that your CC information tied to Apple Pay won't be stored by Apple? In their cloud? The same cloud with the naked pictures the whole world gets to see? The same Apple that got nailed for fraud because they required a CC number to get "free" iTunes then used that card to facilitate game and iTunes charges without telling their customers?

I agree with you (sort of) on one thing. No way would I want Apple to own *any* of my information.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 9:57 pm

This is the best part...

Brett stars in 'priceless' MasterCard, Apple Pay commercial

http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascit...ommercial.html
Old Oct 21, 2014, 11:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
So you're under the impression that your CC information tied to Apple Pay won't be stored by Apple? In their cloud?
You seem to not understand the architecture. It's not just a promise by Apple to not store the information - the transactions never even hit Apple servers (at least the ones using NFC). They go directly from the merchant to the issuing bank. That's very different from the Google situation where all transactions must go through Google in order for it to work.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 2:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Steve M
You seem to not understand the architecture. It's not just a promise by Apple to not store the information - the transactions never even hit Apple servers (at least the ones using NFC). They go directly from the merchant to the issuing bank. That's very different from the Google situation where all transactions must go through Google in order for it to work.
You have to register your credit card with the app, thus with Apple. That's what this thread is all about.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 5:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hertz President's Circle, Uber Platinum
Originally Posted by Steve M
I'm in a similar situation, where I have a non-Chase card that has an NFC element built into the card, but such an option is not available from Chase. I realized that even if I used that card in lieu of the Chase card for 100% of purchases where POS supported NFC, it might in a year or two be a fairly good percentage of purchases by transaction could, but not dollar amount, as most of my high-dollar transactions tend to be for things like online purchases and hotel stays, where NFC is less of an issue. So if I really wanted Apple Pay but still wanted UA miles, I'd get the lowest-cost Chase United Visa available to add to Apple Pay, and keep the PP card for large purchases and the FQM's.
Good point. The majority of my monthly bill is airfare, hotel, car rental, cable bill and mobile phone bill. If I put the retail and restaurant purchases on another card I'll earn a few less FQMs and UA miles, however I'll earn miles in another program which will partially make up for it. In addition it remains to be seen how many vendors that I use will actually accept Apple Pay. When my AA and US frequent flyer accounts combine I'll have around 95,000 miles. I'll view this as an opportunity to bring the balance up to an even 100K using my AA MASTERCARD (CitiBank) for all Apple Pay transactions.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 6:14 am

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
You have to register your credit card with the app, thus with Apple. That's what this thread is all about.
Are you equating the "app" with "Apple servers"? They are not the same thing.

Perhaps you would benefit by learning about the "Secure Element".

http://techcrunch.com/2014/01/16/app...-account-info/

http://www.cnbc.com/id/101992749#. (Sensational title, but practical information buried half way through)
Old Oct 22, 2014, 6:48 am

Programs: NEXUS, UA Club
I called Chase today and spoke with someone on the phone. She said that there is no current estimate for having apple pay available, but she did say I was not the first person to ask this question. I asked her to forward to corporate. I'm hoping if they continue to receive calls/complaints that they will do something about it. So please keep calling in!! :-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.