Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

best (award travel using UA miles) travel to taiwan?

Old Oct 16, 2014, 1:55 pm
Original Poster

have united miles to use.....

planning houston (IAH) to taipei TPE sometime in march 2015, with dates somewhat flexible.....

also have amex MR points that I could transfer to one of the partner airlines...

haven't one this kind of trip before, wondering if there were any good pointers, or how to do the stopover if we wanted to in another close destination to taiwan.

thanks!!!!!

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Oct 18, 2014 at 4:05 am Reason: vague thread title
Old Oct 16, 2014, 8:58 pm

You could either have a stopover on the way to Taiwan (like in Tokyo or Seoul) or make TPE your stopover and pick a different destination (Thailand, Vietnam, Singapore.....)
Old Oct 16, 2014, 11:26 pm

Programs: MR Platinum
best travel to taiwan

I don't think you can get to TPE nonstop from IAH. LAX is probably the most common connection point. The post above covers good stopover options so I won't repeat.

Recommend you try one of the Asian carriers in *A instead of flying United metal for the TPAC flight.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 11:01 am
Original Poster

is booking the ticket through United or any of their alliance partners any different? I already have United miles, but could transfer Amex MR to other partner airlines....just didn't know if it would work any differently....
Old Oct 17, 2014, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by AnalogMan
Recommend you try one of the Asian carriers in *A instead of flying United metal for the TPAC flight.
If you redeem in premium classes, you will take a big penalty in additional UA miles required if you mix in *A partners...

Originally Posted by mdcubsfan
is booking the ticket through United or any of their alliance partners any different? I already have United miles, but could transfer Amex MR to other partner airlines....just didn't know if it would work any differently....
An AMEX->SQ transfer allows redemption in SQ 77W J/F IAH-DME-SIN-TPE.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 1:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat, Turkish Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold
The Eva business class has pretty good values as they have like first class services. They usually open up availabilities for *A partners within 90 days of the departure date
Old Oct 17, 2014, 7:03 pm

Programs: MR Platinum
best travel to taiwan

i just did SFO-TPE on EVA J and TPE-NRT-SFO on NH J and UA F. I believe one way UA F ticket cost same as many miles as BR J (BR J cost 10k more miles than UA J). I think the BR flight being nonstop TPAC makes more sense. The stop in NRT reduces the TPAC flight time and limits how long one can sleep on board.

You can book partner flights with your UA miles on united.com (but you may not see all of them, not sure if some level of blocking is still happening).
Old Oct 17, 2014, 9:39 pm
Original Poster

thanks for all the advice! I've spent so much time looking up every single one of the abbreviations!

sorry for all the questions, but if looking at redemption on *A partner airlines (amex points can transfer to all nippon, singapore, and air canada from what I can see) is there one place on UA website where I can look at this, or do I have to sign up for FF accounts with all the partner airlines and look at each place individually to figure out my options before I initiate any AMEX MR transfers?
Old Oct 17, 2014, 10:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
I'm confused...

Are you going to use United miles or transfer?

United.com does not show SQ 77W space (or any SQ award space). You need singaporeair.com to do that. If you want to fly SQ from the USA in premium classes, you need to transfer to SQ.

Your United miles should be able to redeem on UA, BR, NH or TG. There is a penalty of additional miles for non-UA redemptions, though.
Old Oct 18, 2014, 12:40 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Coming out of Houston going to Asia 90% of the time on UA metal you will be going through Tokyo.

Wherever you go in southeast asia, you will stop over in Japan.

Why dont you do a stop over in Japan while going to Taiwan?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.