Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Flying To Australia With Golf Clubs - Just Plain Stupid?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2014, 4:06 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Hi,

Going to be in Australia over for six weeks in February, perfect time to play golf down under.

I'm a Gold so I get 3 bags. Am I stupid to try to take my clubs along. I have a proper travel bag (not hard case but padded) and will wrap up things well.

Any thoughts and experiences?

Also, the clubs aren't expensive. If United bend/break them what would be the procedure to get them replaced. Will I get replacement cost or actual cost (they are about 1 year old and I have receipts).
Old Oct 13, 2014, 5:23 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, DL FO, DL MM, Marriott Gold, Hyatt platinum
I'd invest in a hard case. But otherwise, go for it!

I've not traveled to Australia, but have made two golfing trips from the US to Scotland and Ireland with clubs and never had a problem.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 6:11 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA MM Gold, Marriott LT Titanium
Been there, done that. I have a Clubglove travel bag with a Golf Boy Backbone support rod. I don't think a hard case is needed with my travel setup. Just make sure you clean your clubs and shoes because they will be inspected for any dirt or debris on arrival.

Enjoy your time in Australia.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 7:03 pm

Programs: CO - Onepass Gold Elite--> UA - MileagePlus Gold Premier--> Silver --> AS - MileagePlan MVPGOLD!
This post is just silly.
Everyone knows: United breaks GUITARS. Not golf clubs.
:-D
Old Oct 13, 2014, 7:41 pm

Programs: UA and SQ; Hilton, Fairmont, Marriott, Rydges Priority
February is a rotten time to play golf in Australia.
It can be stinking hot in the south and very warm, wet and humid in the north.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 8:03 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K MM, Subway Club Member
I don't think this is riskier than flying with them to any other destination. In fact, on the 777s (and other wide-bodies) luggage is containerized and therefore handled significantly less and is less likely to get lost (since it's with 20-50 other items). Longer flights aren't any more likely to have lost/damaged bags than short domestic ones. I'd also rather have the Australian ground staff handling my bags than the staff at some of the airports in the US (aka EWR & IAH)
Old Oct 15, 2014, 6:51 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by inpd
Also, the clubs aren't expensive. If United bend/break them what would be the procedure to get them replaced. Will I get replacement cost or actual cost (they are about 1 year old and I have receipts).
Any ideas on this?

In total the clubs cost $600, so not ultra expensive, but will they be covered if damaged or are they considered fragile items like strollers are I have to sign a waiver?

p.S. Good to know the bags are compartmentized.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Traveled to Phuket three times with clubs, in both hard- and soft-sided bags. Dropped them off at DEN and picked them up in HKT no worse for wear. Typical itinerary DEN-SFO-NRT-BKK-HKT or DEN-IAH-NRT-BKK-HKT.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 10:19 am
Original Member

Any ideas on this?

In total the clubs cost $600, so not ultra expensive, but will they be covered if damaged or are they considered fragile items like strollers are I have to sign a waiver?

p.S. Good to know the bags are compartmentized.
From The UA web page:
United accepts one item of golf equipment per customer as checked baggage.

An item of golf equipment consists of:

One golf bag containing 1 set of golf clubs
Golf balls
One pair of golf shoes
All items must be properly encased in a suitable container. The golf bag must be covered or enclosed in a heavy, rigid carrying case.

United is not liable for damage to golf equipment that is not contained in a hard-sided case.

Excess Valuation may not be purchased for golf equipment that is not contained in a hard-sided case.

First or second checked bag service charges may apply.

Golfing equipment containers measuring over 62 (158 cm) total linear inches (L + H + W) that contain other items in addition to or in place of appropriate golf equipment will be subject to an oversize checked baggage service charge.

Note: All customers, including MileagePlus® Premier® members, who check a golf bag will experience a delay in receiving their bag at the baggage claim due to the manner in which oversized items and sports equipment are required to be loaded, unloaded and delivered to baggage claim.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by JeffS
Just make sure you clean your clubs and shoes because they will be inspected for any dirt or debris on arrival.
Do NT ignore this important advice!
Old Oct 15, 2014, 12:24 pm
Original Member

Another tip for playing golf in Australia.

Many if not all courses have what are called "social tees". These are the tees that non-members are supposed to play from. My friend and I were yelled at by the course marshall at one course because we weren't playing from the social tees.

The next week, at another course, we told that story to the head pro who laughed and explained the "social tee" concept to us. He then took our card wrote something on it and said "I know you yanks like to play any tees you want, so you go ahead and do that here. If any one says anything, show them this and tell them the head pro said so."
Old Oct 15, 2014, 12:44 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Legend717
This post is just silly.
Everyone knows: United breaks GUITARS. Not golf clubs.
:-D
Reply of the week contender

Get a hard case OP, enjoy the golf!
Old Dec 2, 2014, 12:43 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Baggage questions for golf clubs

Hi,

So the United.com documentation is a little bit vague.

It says:

"An item of golf equipment consists of:

One golf bag containing 1 set of golf clubs
Golf balls
One pair of golf shoes

Golfing equipment containers measuring over 62 (158 cm) total linear inches (L + H + W) that contain other items in addition to or in place of appropriate golf equipment will be subject to an oversize checked baggage service charge."

Now all golf containers I know of are more 62 linear inches, there height is typically 50+ inches.

So does it mean I will *not* pay oversized baggage service so long as the container only contains shoes, clubs, bag and balls? Is that what the verbage is getting at? Of it saying I will pay oversized baggage amounts?

Thanks.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
So does it mean I will *not* pay oversized baggage service so long as the container only contains shoes, clubs, bag and balls? Is that what the verbiage is getting at?
Yes

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.