Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Delta confirmed increasing MQD thresholds, surely UA to follow (?)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2014, 2:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,

A blogger posted over on the Delta forum (link) that MQD thresholds for Delta will be increasing in 2015 to $3K/$6K/$9K/$15K for Silver/Gold/Platinum/Diamond. This has not yet been officially announced so at this point, is a rumor.

Isn't it just a matter of time that UA goes to $3K/$6K/$9K/$12K for Silver/Gold/Platinum/1K?
Old Oct 9, 2014, 2:56 pm

Programs: United Plat 2MM, Hilton Gold
Is your question whether UA will follow a policy that we don't even know that DL has adopted?
Old Oct 9, 2014, 2:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Miles Ahead
Is your question whether UA will follow a policy that we don't even know that DL has adopted?
Even better, I think the question is whether UA is "sure to follow" a DL "policy" that is just a rumor
Old Oct 9, 2014, 3:08 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Originally Posted by FlytheTail
Isn't it just a matter of time that UA goes to $3K/$6K/$9K/$12K for Silver/Gold/Platinum/1K?
Yes I think it's a matter of time. In the next 10 years, I do believe the PQD will increase to those values.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by seanp7
Yes I think it's a matter of time. In the next 10 years, I do believe the PQD will increase to those values.
I agree - they will raise the thresholds to match the rise in airfare, not to copy Delta.

I'm going to reach 10K PQD this year even though I'm flying less than last year.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 3:46 pm

At least it will take United 6 months and millions of dollars in consulting fees to determine whether it will copy Delta or not.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 4:22 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN
Originally Posted by halls120
I agree - they will raise the thresholds to match the rise in airfare, not to copy Delta.

I'm going to reach 10K PQD this year even though I'm flying less than last year.
This is part of the reason why they should add in another element that status can be achieved through PQD only. You could have a situation where status can be achieved with combo of travel and PQD at current rates with double the PQD gets you status outright. I am sure that a person spending $5k is more profitable than a $2.5K spend and 25k EQM.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 4:27 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Halo117
I am sure that a person spending $5k is more profitable than a $2.5K spend and 25k EQM.
I bet that a pax who spends $5000 flying on L fares is less profitable to UA than a pax who spends $2500 to fly 25K miles on W fares.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 4:32 pm

Programs: AA/US PlatPro & 1.05MM, DL Plat (challenge), UA dirt
Originally Posted by Kacee
I bet that a pax who spends $5000 flying on L fares is less profitable to UA than a pax who spends $2500 to fly 25K miles on W fares.
Especially if the person on the W fare is attempting to use an instrument--which happens to be a GPU (since it is on a W fare), and those can only be obtained via 1K and higher, which in terms of PQDs is $10k+.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
As a Houston captive, looking forward to it.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 4:49 pm

Programs: UA Silver / FA
Originally Posted by fgirard
Especially if the person on the W fare is attempting to use an instrument--which happens to be a GPU (since it is on a W fare), and those can only be obtained via 1K and higher, which in terms of PQDs is $10k+.
Depends on how the airline values GPUs.. If you upgrade a W fare, you're getting a deep discount in terms of $, but then the airline pulls of a GPU "liability" from their books.

If the difference in $ cost is more than the GPU liability, you're less profitable than me last weekend livin' the dream on K/G fares.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by mduell
As a Houston captive, looking forward to it.
More of that "thinning of the ranks"?
Old Oct 9, 2014, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
More of that "thinning of the ranks"?
Yes, because upgrades have gotten so much easier this year, and the elite experience has never been better
Old Oct 9, 2014, 5:44 pm

Programs: United Plat 2MM, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Halo117
This is part of the reason why they should add in another element that status can be achieved through PQD only.
They used to have this for prepaid travel. 1K was, I believe, $25,000.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 5:49 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN
I think you misunderstood my thoughts on this. A person flying L fares and spending $5K is probably flying more than 25K EQM so they would qualify under the current rules, but a person who is flying W fares may not hit the 25K EQM requirement even after spending $5k. Under the current rules the L fare flyer is rewarded while the W Fare flyer can't even hit silver.

At this stage the whole PQD requirement doesn't really add value to chasing loyalty other than another hurdle to the flyer. If UA really wants to chase HVFs then make PQD a tangible criteria like Hilton does.

Essentially you reward high spenders (PQD only) outright and you reward the moderate spender who is a road warrior (current system of PQD and EQM). Now my example would be for silver whereas Gold would be $10K PQD, PLT at $15K PQD and 1K at $20K PQD.(it doesn't have to be double, but essentially saying you can buy status but limited to airline ticket purchases)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.