Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs in 2014 for Elite Status in 2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 9, 2014, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs in 2014 for Elite Status in 2015

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2014, 5:41 am
Original Member

Location: Highland PArk,IL,USA -- AA Lifetime Platinum, IHG Plat, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Radisson Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Need 1200 miles to get to 150K

I think at 150K I would get 2 GPU's but I cannot see how to get a low number miles. I bought a trip ORD_MKE and they want me to buy 5000 miles for quite a bit of money. I'm on vacation and no way to take a quick trip for 1200 miles.

I do have several flex miles but cannot use them since I'm over 75K.

I will be in HEL in morning. I could take a quick trip for 600 miles each way but I may get in lots of trouble with family.

Last edited by thepla; Dec 28, 2014 at 5:50 am Reason: this belongs in the existing thread
Old Dec 28, 2014, 7:27 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
By "quite a bit," how much do you mean? 5k for $2.5k (50cpm), or for $700 (14cpm)? The latter might be worth it for 2x GPUs; the former, not so much so unless you have a lot of flexibility in your international travel to ensure you can use them.
Old Dec 28, 2014, 8:03 am
Original Member

Location: Highland PArk,IL,USA -- AA Lifetime Platinum, IHG Plat, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Radisson Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by exerda
By "quite a bit," how much do you mean? 5k for $2.5k (50cpm), or for $700 (14cpm)? The latter might be worth it for 2x GPUs; the former, not so much so unless you have a lot of flexibility in your international travel to ensure you can use them.
Something like 6000 for $975 that was for a Boston trip I had already. I did buy a MKE-ORD and it does go down to $815 for 5,000. I already used two for next year and it would be nice to have 6 since I enjoy one family vacation for three of us and need 6. Bottom line is it worth $400 per GPU. I guess I'd also get 2 more RPU's.

Last edited by thepla; Dec 28, 2014 at 8:18 am
Old Dec 28, 2014, 2:19 pm

Programs: Continental One Pass
Mileage Plus Status Upgrade

I am a mileage plus member on United, silver status. I have made silver for 2014. I have 33,822 miles from flights. I have 16,115 flex miles from my Presidential Plus card. That leaves me 63 miles short of making Gold. Do I just carry this forward or is there someway to purchase the needed miles for Gold status? If I do nothing, do I have to start again in 2015? I also have $ 2,387 in Premier Qualifying Dollars, whatever that is. Thanks.
Old Dec 28, 2014, 2:21 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
You can use award accelerator. There is at least one thread on how to do this in the UA forum. If you don't then the miles above the 25k for silver will disappear and you will start with 0 on Jan 1
Old Dec 28, 2014, 3:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by artfem
I am a mileage plus member on United, silver status. I have made silver for 2014. I have 33,822 miles from flights. I have 16,115 flex miles from my Presidential Plus card. That leaves me 63 miles short of making Gold. Do I just carry this forward or is there someway to purchase the needed miles for Gold status? If I do nothing, do I have to start again in 2015? I also have $ 2,387 in Premier Qualifying Dollars, whatever that is. Thanks.
If you only have $2387 in PQD, you won't even be Silver next year unless you had enough credit card spend to get a waiver. Check the details on this first before purchasing any miles. If it counts, you might want to just purchase some redeemable miles to get up to $2500 and at least keep Silver for next year.
Old Dec 28, 2014, 3:20 pm

Programs: Continental One Pass
Thanks, but as a Chase Card Holder, the PQD requirement is waived. I spoke with Mileage Plus, and they tell me I have until March of 2015 to qualify with Flex Miles.
Old Dec 28, 2014, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by artfem
Thanks, but as a Chase Card Holder, the PQD requirement is waived. I spoke with Mileage Plus, and they tell me I have until March of 2015 to qualify with Flex Miles.
The PQD is only waived up to Platinum and only if you have $25K spend on the Chase CC. Just having the card does not waive PQD requirements.
Old Dec 28, 2014, 11:43 pm
EEE

Programs: UA Gold
Looks like I'm at least getting back to gold this next year. I just accepted a SDC to end up 100 miles over 50k, instead of 50 miles under. (They might have given it to me anyway, but I didn't see any reason to take a chance if I didn't have to.)

I actually shouldn't have needed this, but they didn't credit a Lufthansa flight, and then nothing ever happened when I submitted a request for credit (now 5 weeks ago). I could call them up and ask, but half an hour on the phone isn't worth it for 500 RDMs if I don't need the EQMs anyway.
Old Dec 29, 2014, 12:53 am

Advice needed: 1009 Miles Short and 3 days

I have had a rough December (family and personal, not related to business or work) and just realized I am 1009 miles short of making UA Gold for 2015.

I have been either Gold or Plat since 1999, and have never missed a year (was Continental guy forever).

What should I do? Wait until 2015 and beg? I hate to do that, and still have three days left.

Here are my details:

YTD Premier qualifying miles: 48,991
YTD Premier qualifying segments: 34
YTD Premier qualifying dollars: $5,768
4 flight segment minimum: 4 of 4
Lifetime flight miles: 818,617

I clear all the other hurdles that are needed.

In addition, I have spent over $100k (this year) on the UA Chase Credit card, so i have that going for me. As mentioned, I have been either Gold or plat for 15 years. I hate to drop down to Silver, but am out of time to really do anything. My home airport is either San Jose (SJC) or SFO or (shudder) Oakland.

Let me know if you have any thoughts on how I can handle this and still get my Gold in the next day or three!
Old Dec 29, 2014, 5:29 am

Programs: UA GS 2.2MM / UC / AS Gold 75K / Bonvoy Plat / Hilton Diamond
The only options that immediately come to mind are an out-and-back same day mileage run that squeak you over the line in the next couple of days:

SFO-SEA in Coach will net you 1356 PQM round trip, and can be done on Dec 30th for ~$549.
SFO-LAX in First (with a small fare class bonus) will net you 1,010 to be right over the line and can also be done Dec 30 for ~$549 ... But more comfortably.

Your final option could be to book a refundable ticket to these locations and see what MileagePlus Accelerator Options you are presented with on united.com to purchase PQM, but this may work out more expensive. Once Accelerator is purchased, you can still cancel/fully refund the ticket.

The big question is how much you plan to fly in 2015 to make this worthwhile - Gold gets you E+ at ticketing and *G status providing lounge access on international itineraries, plus two checked bags per PAX next year, and therefore valuable to many. Good Luck!

Last edited by greenpau; Dec 29, 2014 at 5:36 am
Old Dec 29, 2014, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
OP is already Premier. SFO to LAX and back is 1000 minimum already. Suggest trying MRY or SMF as a starting point to force a connection. Then 1500 miles easily. I see it sub $500 to SNA.
Old Dec 29, 2014, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by greenpau
The only options that immediately come to mind are an out-and-back same day mileage run that squeak you over the line in the next couple of days:

SFO-SEA in Coach will net you 1356 PQM round trip, and can be done on Dec 30th for ~$549.
SFO-LAX in First (with a small fare class bonus) will net you 1,010 to be right over the line and can also be done Dec 30 for ~$549 ... But more comfortably.

Your final option could be to book a refundable ticket to these locations and see what MileagePlus Accelerator Options you are presented with on united.com to purchase PQM, but this may work out more expensive. Once Accelerator is purchased, you can still cancel/fully refund the ticket.

The big question is how much you plan to fly in 2015 to make this worthwhile - Gold gets you E+ at ticketing and *G status providing lounge access on international itineraries, plus two checked bags per PAX next year, and therefore valuable to many. Good Luck!
Doesn't need to be a refundable ticket as long as you cancel within 24 hours
Old Dec 29, 2014, 11:05 am

Thanks for the responses. I just booked a RT to LAX for around $100 and after redeeming a $300 certificate I got for being downgraded from FC earlier this year.

But during the process I was not offered the chance to buy the extra Accelerator options, which I thought was strange? I was hoping to use that option.
Old Dec 29, 2014, 11:25 am

8 Miles Short :(

Screenshot off of my MileagePlus Premier Tracker:

I've met the other requirements for 1K.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.