Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs in 2014 for Elite Status in 2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 9, 2014, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs in 2014 for Elite Status in 2015

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2014, 6:25 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by cacohenassaf
OK then I would have to do a mileage run. I just wish UA would do the same as DL with the rollover... I had 167K PQMs last year, 67K of them were just for nothing...
If you decide you want to do a MR, let us know your available days & times, and your budget (and if you need PQDs, how many), and I'm sure folks can come up with a routing for you.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 6:41 am

Programs: UA, A3, TK, Marriott, IHG, Hertz
Originally Posted by exerda
If you decide you want to do a MR, let us know your available days & times, and your budget (and if you need PQDs, how many), and I'm sure folks can come up with a routing for you.
OK so here is the "problem"
I am at TLV needing 4,822PQMs on UA (Could be used on some classes on LH LX etc I'm sure you know) I have 8 RPUs that I don't see myself using (most of my flights were TLVEWR).
I can do a mileage run or an actual travel - days off is not an issue at this time.
If it's a travel preferably somewhere warm (LIS,MAD for miles should be good)

As far for price, the cheaper for the miles I need the better.
Thank you for your help
Old Nov 27, 2014, 7:52 am

Programs: UA 1K & 0.6 MM
This is when I really miss the option to get PQMs with the credit card. I remember twice "buying" EQMs with miles in December to reach the next tier status pre-merger. I actually went to Chase.com to try to do the same, and it wasn't an option. Wah.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
I see TLV-ADD-DEL for $748, December 9th-11th. Long layover in ADD both ways....but you wanted somewhere warm. :-)

It's on ET, where most classes seem to earn 100%. This one books in O.
https://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/mar...spx?ItemId=532

Flight details: http://goo.gl/flights/KQNK
Old Nov 27, 2014, 9:04 am

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
My youngest son will be 1100 miles away from Gold status at the end of the year. Everyone else in the family has gold status, so it would be mostly symbolic. What are the chances the MP will give it to him? Unfortunately, I'll the routes I can't seem to find an acclerator offer for less than 5000 miles ($550 for rdm and pqm)
Old Nov 27, 2014, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by aacharya
I see TLV-ADD-DEL for $748, December 9th-11th. Long layover in ADD both ways....but you wanted somewhere warm. :-)

It's on ET, where most classes seem to earn 100%. This one books in O.
https://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/mar...spx?ItemId=532

Flight details: http://goo.gl/flights/KQNK
haha thanks, but i think if I do a mile run I would go with LH/LX to MAD for about $450. I don't know where you would look to see all the variables of the fare class, length of the trip, airliner, destination... I can't find a website that would give me all that.

UA site would just show you some of the Star alliance and not all of them (They prefer Turkish - which only gets me 4790 miles to MAD in a good price - about 20 miles short!!! damn)
Old Nov 27, 2014, 9:29 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Mileage Plus
Almost all my UA ticketed travel is on *A (usually codeshare ANA), so while I met PQM/PQD threshold, I only have 3 of 4 required UA operated segments. Awkward! I think I'm going over to Krisflyer next year. (Not complaining - just sayin'.)
Old Nov 27, 2014, 9:32 am

Originally Posted by chelmkamp
Almost all my UA ticketed travel is on *A (usually codeshare ANA), so while I met PQM/PQD threshold, I only have 3 of 4 required UA operated segments! I think I'm going over to Krisflyer next year. (Not complaining - just sayin'.)
This is a bit annoying that you have to fly 4 segments on UA. for the PQD threshold there is a simple solution to avoid it...
Old Nov 27, 2014, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

haha thanks, but i think if I do a mile run I would go with LH/LX to MAD for about $450. I don't know where you would look to see all the variables of the fare class, length of the trip, airliner, destination... I can't find a website that would give me all that.

UA site would just show you some of the Star alliance and not all of them (They prefer Turkish - which only gets me 4790 miles to MAD in a good price - about 20 miles short!!! damn)
ITA Matrix and google.com/flights are my go-to tricks - and as they give fare class upfront, I can then cross-check that the PQMs earn at 100% - as you well know, LX/TK and others have notoriously low-earning fares sometimes.

This is a bit annoying that you have to fly 4 segments on UA. for the PQD threshold there is a simple solution to avoid it...
Getting the UA Club Card waives this.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Nov 27, 2014 at 9:38 am Reason: Merge
Old Nov 27, 2014, 9:43 am

ITA Matrix and google.com/flights are my go-to tricks - and as they give fare class upfront, I can then cross-check that the PQMs earn at 100% - as you well know, LX/TK and others have notoriously low-earning fares sometimes.

Getting the UA Club Card waives this.
UA Club Card or Credit Card? If I am not mistaken it only waive it up to platinum and not 1K. The easiest solution would be just to change your address to abroad.

And thanks I will check both of them to see how I can find the best deal. LH has some classes within EU that don't get you miles at all, for all EU airliners there is some low fare classes that don't get you miles at all regardless if it's within the EU or not.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

UA Club Card or Credit Card? If I am not mistaken it only waive it up to platinum and not 1K. The easiest solution would be just to change your address to abroad.

And thanks I will check both of them to see how I can find the best deal. LH has some classes within EU that don't get you miles at all, for all EU airliners there is some low fare classes that don't get you miles at all regardless if it's within the EU or not.
UA Club Card waives the 4-segment requirement - which is what the comment was on. I don't mean the PQD waiver.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 9:51 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
I second Google Flights.

I haven't checked the mileages earned yet, but there are definitely a good deal of December options to Spain & Portugal for $400 or less which might earn just enough miles. I know TLV-VIE-BCN on OS will come in just a hair shy ($384 / 4600-ish PQM). The LX & LH options, assuming they book into the right fare class to earn miles, will definitely work (but getting them to do so will be problematic IMHO).

The only thing I don't like about Google Flights is that I then need to use Great Circle Mapper to get a rough idea of the mileage if they're unfamiliar routes; I don't think Google Flights lists the miles anywhere prominent.
Old Nov 28, 2014, 6:32 am

Originally Posted by exerda
I second Google Flights.

I haven't checked the mileages earned yet, but there are definitely a good deal of December options to Spain & Portugal for $400 or less which might earn just enough miles. I know TLV-VIE-BCN on OS will come in just a hair shy ($384 / 4600-ish PQM). The LX & LH options, assuming they book into the right fare class to earn miles, will definitely work (but getting them to do so will be problematic IMHO).

The only thing I don't like about Google Flights is that I then need to use Great Circle Mapper to get a rough idea of the mileage if they're unfamiliar routes; I don't think Google Flights lists the miles anywhere prominent.
Thanks, I think I found something with brussels airlines to LIS for less than $400. Just to have platinum next year i think it would be worth it. as far as 1K I will have to say goodbye this year.
Old Nov 28, 2014, 10:57 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by porciuscato
My youngest son will be 1100 miles away from Gold status at the end of the year. Everyone else in the family has gold status, so it would be mostly symbolic. What are the chances the MP will give it to him? Unfortunately, I'll the routes I can't seem to find an acclerator offer for less than 5000 miles ($550 for rdm and pqm)
IMO, @ 1100 miles, not likely at all. Should be a cheapo mileage run somewhere to easily generate that as long as he is OK on PQD's ?
Old Nov 30, 2014, 1:35 pm

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
FYI, I emailed MP CS regarding being just a little short on mileage for Gold (~50PQM) and received this response:

Dear Mr. jasonvr:

Thank you for contacting the MileagePlus Service Center.

At this time, I can only advised you to use the Accelerator. There is no way to control the exact number of miles that one would need. This is the only way to be sure that you make the status.

We will not be advised if there will be some kind of challenge or threshold for those who didn't make it or were close. This information is not given to us until the end of January or the first part of February.

Regards,

XXXXXXXX
MileagePlus® Lead Representative

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.