Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs in 2014 for Elite Status in 2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 9, 2014, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs in 2014 for Elite Status in 2015

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2014, 9:10 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, IHG Plat Amb, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by MattR23
You're mistaken. You can use accelerator miles towards 1K status. Perhaps you're thinking of Flex PQMs, which can't be used towards 1K.
Not sure. It happened to a friend of mine last year. If I'm wrong and it is with Flex, I stand corrected.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 9:14 am

Programs: UA Plat, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
I'm not sure what you have left in the way of flights for the year, but look at possible upgrading a couple of your existing flights to FC (paid upgrade ahead of time). That should get you 150% PQM on those upgraded segments, IIRC.

Might be more expensive, but it will be a net positive from an experience standpoint, instead of the net negative experience that is a MR.

This should give you 3 options to consider (in order of expense):
1. MR somewhere, waste a day on a plane instead of home with your family.

2. Buy PQM's. If you go this route, play around with a bunch of random bookings until you get an offer that is right at, or just slightly higher than the amount of PQM's you need. Just remember to cancel the bookings within 24 hours. DO NOT buy 12,000 PQM's just because that is the lowest amount you are currently offered.

3. Upgrade a few of your existing flights to FC. Just make sure you do it ahead of time, and not as a TOD upgrade.

You could also do some combination of the above.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 9:19 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by eyuro
Not sure. It happened to a friend of mine last year. If I'm wrong and it is with Flex, I stand corrected.
You can buy up. I finished at about 98k due to some weather cancellations and bought the difference last year. You can't use flex, and the credit card waiver for PQD's doesn't apply for 1K.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 9:22 am

Ultimately, it is your decision but is your time worth $600? If it comes down to paying for the accelerator or missing the 1K mark I'd cough up the money.

Another option would be to buy a fully refundable, short trip, ticket and hope they offer a better accelerator (or at least one with a lower mileage option). Buy the accelerator and get your money back. If it helps; I have a DEN - SMF (1800 miles round trip) and the accelerator options are 6,000 miles and 8,000 miles; both at 11.3 cents per mile.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by eyuro
If I'm not mistaken, the final mileage from 75K to 100K to make 1K can't be bought. Your purchasing of the accelerator assuming you have enough dollars will not get you 1K. It would need to be actual flown miles. This was last years program rules.
This is NT correct. Flex PQM can not be used to go from 75k to 100k. purchased or flown PQM definitely qualify. It's the spend waiver that does not apply to 1K. One must have $10k in PQD if one has a US address.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
There are numerous flights less than $400 from IAD to the west coast. But limiting it to 12/20 to 12/30 is the issue.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 10:31 am

Programs: DL Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by DrewGzy
Ultimately, it is your decision but is your time worth $600? If it comes down to paying for the accelerator or missing the 1K mark I'd cough up the money.

Another option would be to buy a fully refundable, short trip, ticket and hope they offer a better accelerator (or at least one with a lower mileage option). Buy the accelerator and get your money back. If it helps; I have a DEN - SMF (1800 miles round trip) and the accelerator options are 6,000 miles and 8,000 miles; both at 11.3 cents per mile.
I recently found myself a few thousand miles short, but all my existing itineraries were long ones and the minimum that UA was offering was 6,000 miles. I bought a short roundtrip (~150 miles each way) and then was able to buy 5,000 miles rather than 6,000, which saved me a couple hundred dollars. Then I just cancelled the trip within the 24-hour cancellation window. Still expensive this way, but avoids paying for extra miles that you don't need.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 10:31 am

Programs: UA Plat, Copa Pres. Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG LT Gold, Marriott Gold
I'm in a similar boat actually - looking like I'll end up at ~95K and am mulling a MR to get to the finish line. Not sure where you're based on the east coast, or if you have flexibility to travel earlier - but I have my eye on the first 2 Saturdays in December for a quick SFO-NYC-SFO run (coming in under $350 last time I checked).

I know others prefer other services, but I like Google Flights to visually search for destinations under $X from my home airport.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 11:22 am

Programs: BA Gold, B6 Mosiac, VS, AA, DL (and a legacy UA 2MM)
I know it doesn't come to 5000 miles (closer to 3200 miles), but east coast to DEN flights are very cheap now: Example: EWR<->DEN for $216 RT in early Dec. There is even R space available on some!
Old Nov 18, 2014, 4:01 pm

Programs: UA MM, AA almost MM
Originally Posted by JBord
the credit card waiver for PQD's doesn't apply for 1K.
It does not?!!
Old Nov 18, 2014, 4:22 pm

I happen to be $35 pqd short of the next tier (but fine on PQMs). Any recommendations? I don't have any more scheduled united travel this year. I'm close enough, I wonder if they'll let me through if I ask nicely.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 4:37 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Ilove2fly
Originally Posted by JBord
... and the credit card waiver for PQD's doesn't apply for 1K.
It does not?!!
It does not.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 4:55 pm

Programs: UA MM, AA almost MM
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
It does not.
That really kills it for me to ever made 1k. Just finish reading the t&c. What a bummer! I think one can still qualify for AA top tier without PQD, right? Someone correct me before I jump out of frying pan into the fire.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 4:58 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by Ilove2fly
That really kills it for me to ever made 1k. Just finish reading the t&c. What a bummer! I think one can still qualify for AA top tier without PQD, right? Someone correct me before I jump out of frying pan into the fire.
Correct. No PQD (yet) at AA.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 10:29 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by oshelef
I happen to be $35 pqd short of the next tier (but fine on PQMs). Any recommendations? I don't have any more scheduled united travel this year. I'm close enough, I wonder if they'll let me through if I ask nicely.
I wouldn't count on UA's generosity, but what I'd try would be to ask if you could send them $35 that they could add to a prior flight you had taken. Obviously, they can't do that, but it might open the door to the conversation that says they'll take care of you anyway.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.