Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs in 2014 for Elite Status in 2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 9, 2014, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs in 2014 for Elite Status in 2015

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2014, 8:50 pm
sb3

Programs: UA-1K
Originally Posted by TomA
Sounds great, but how did you do that?
After the trip ticketed, I clicked on the upgrade button and that was the miles/$ option. Not everything cleared at once, but all segments did eventually clear. I have no idea if this was a glitch or if it still works, thus the YMMV.

For the trip I took, it was continuous, with no stop longer than 4 hours.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 2:57 pm

Programs: UA
Exclamation Help a newbie :) 18k miles needed for '15 status

Need ~18k United miles to keep my Silver status for 2015, (newb, i know).. Any good runs out of Newark/JFK? Appreciate your help!
Old Oct 6, 2014, 3:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM - AF G – TK G – AZ Ex – Hilton D – Marriott G – IHG P
Originally Posted by sb3
After the trip ticketed, I clicked on the upgrade button and that was the miles/$ option. Not everything cleared at once, but all segments did eventually clear. I have no idea if this was a glitch or if it still works, thus the YMMV.

For the trip I took, it was continuous, with no stop longer than 4 hours.
So you're thinking it just charged you for a one-way?
Old Oct 6, 2014, 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by bkhalsa
Need ~18k United miles to keep my Silver status for 2015, (newb, i know).. Any good runs out of Newark/JFK? Appreciate your help!
That would be a round trip to Singapore, Hong Kong or Bangkok if you want to do a single trip in Y.

I'm not sure about the value of silver being worth it... especially if you only fly 7K miles in a year, but you didn't ask for any opinions on that issue.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 4:22 pm

Take a peek at the mileage run forum, perhaps you'll find some ideas there.

I feel like 18k (and how many ever PQDs you need) to keep silver isn't really worth it IMO. Might as well get the CC and get all the silver benefits except E+ and CPUs (not that you'll get CPUs as a silver in EWR)
Old Oct 6, 2014, 6:24 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
For $1000, you can get a better deal than United Silver/lowly 2P

Originally Posted by bkhalsa
If you're that desperate for lowly 2P on UA, I'm wondering if you plan to do a lot of flying in 2015?

You'd likely have to spend $1000+ to obtain UA Silver (lowly 2P) for 2015. How about doing this-
  1. Get an Explorer Card and get free baggage plus Group 2 boarding
  2. Spend $499 to get an E+ Subscription, covering every flight for the year, E+ at time of booking, no waiting until t24 and hoping to get something other than a middle seat.
  3. Spend $500 and get a United Club subscription.

If you look at it that way, you're miles ahead of every other lowly 2P, in every way, other than being taken care of during irregular ops. And if you're traveling with others (one other, anyway, since you're allowed just one guest), they're going to be more impressed by your Club Card than your elite status.

I've never really thought about it this way until now. Best part about it is that the Club Card benefits don't require that you fly United... you can pick & choose, fly SouthWest if you want, and still use the United Clubs. Of course, they might not be very close to the terminal you're flying out of...
Old Oct 6, 2014, 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
You'd likely have to spend $1000+ to obtain UA Silver (lowly 2P) for 2015. How about doing this-
  2. Spend $499 to get an E+ Subscription, covering every flight for the year, E+ at time of booking, no waiting until t24 and hoping to get something other than a middle seat.
Take note that the $499 E+ subscription is for one person domestic flights ONLY, and excludes Alaska and Hawaii. Whether that suffices for you is a different story. A global E+ subscription is $699/year for one person (though if you were making international trips you'd need far fewer miles for silver)
Old Oct 6, 2014, 7:16 pm

If you're that desperate for lowly 2P on UA, I'm wondering if you plan to do a lot of flying in 2015?

If you look at it that way, you're miles ahead of every other lowly 2P, in every way, other than being taken care of during irregular ops. And if you're traveling with others (one other, anyway, since you're allowed just one guest), they're going to be more impressed by your Club Card than your elite status.

I've never really thought about it this way until now. Best part about it is that the Club Card benefits don't require that you fly United... you can pick & choose, fly SouthWest if you want, and still use the United Clubs. Of course, they might not be very close to the terminal you're flying out of...
That's good advice! ^
Old Oct 6, 2014, 10:08 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by steveman518
Take note that the $499 E+ subscription is for one person domestic flights ONLY, and excludes Alaska and Hawaii. Whether that suffices for you is a different story. A global E+ subscription is $699/year for one person (though if you were making international trips you'd need far fewer miles for silver)
Clearly it doesn't suffice for me; otherwise I wouldn't have done 18-20k MRs the past two years so I could avoid the lowly 2Ps and Explorer Card holders in the Group 2 line.

This year's different; no MRs! Platinum with "normal" flying, if you consider a trip to Africa with my wife "normal", followed a month later with a trip to Lima with my daughter to see Machu Picchu, which, at conclusion, will get me just past 75k. Not that I would have planned it that way. Of course not.

But you make a good point about E+ not being applicable to overseas or Hawaii flights for the $499 rate.

So how about a Club Card CC for $400, plus $699 for global E+. $100 more than my original quote, but likely still less than the 18k mileage run.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 11:11 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Premier Gold
Due to a miscalculation, I find myself in an interesting situation: by the end of the year, I will have 101000 PQM but only $9925 PQD. Any ideas on how to get the additional $75, other than scheduling an additional flight? It seems that Economy Plus grants PQDs, but as a 1K i get it for free...
Old Oct 7, 2014, 2:10 am

Clearly it doesn't suffice for me; otherwise I wouldn't have done 18-20k MRs the past two years so I could avoid the lowly 2Ps and Explorer Card holders in the Group 2 line.

This year's different; no MRs! Platinum with "normal" flying, if you consider a trip to Africa with my wife "normal", followed a month later with a trip to Lima with my daughter to see Machu Picchu, which, at conclusion, will get me just past 75k. Not that I would have planned it that way. Of course not.

But you make a good point about E+ not being applicable to overseas or Hawaii flights for the $499 rate.

So how about a Club Card CC for $400, plus $699 for global E+. $100 more than my original quote, but likely still less than the 18k mileage run.
Haha of course I agree that I don't think it's worth it-I was just nitpicking the finer details of the E+ subscription :P

Originally Posted by maduarte
Due to a miscalculation, I find myself in an interesting situation: by the end of the year, I will have 101000 PQM but only $9925 PQD. Any ideas on how to get the additional $75, other than scheduling an additional flight? It seems that Economy Plus grants PQDs, but as a 1K i get it for free...
I don't really think there's another way...
Old Oct 7, 2014, 6:57 am

The OP has 7000 miles in a year--that's likely all domestic, so I think your original suggestion was the best one in that case. (If it is international, or transcons, then buying up to E+ ad hoc would probably be better.)
Old Oct 7, 2014, 12:36 pm

Programs: UA
thanks for all the replies!! much appreciated.

I've been an explorer card holder for 4 years now and do enjoy that safety net it provides if I lose premiere qualification.

surprisingly, I've been lucky enough to get CPU upgrades even on my silver status about 4/5 times in the past year. that's why I was interested in keeping my status alive. since my original post, I now need 16,400 more PQM and $1000 PQDs. I will keep looking for ideas! Thanks again
Old Oct 7, 2014, 1:11 pm

Programs: UA Silver / FA
Originally Posted by maduarte
Ugh, I have a feeling a lot of people will be doing this... Thoughts on creating a "PQD Run" forum?

Sadly from what I understand, it's tickets (less taxes) & E+ purchases only that apply to PQD.

Hopefully, you can do a quick run LAX/SFO RT or something of the like from your home airport...

Edit: Now that I think about it.. what about a buy-up? If you're doing a trip in Y, maybe you're in a high booking class that will offer a cheap buy-up to F.. I had one once for $50 DEN-ORD that credited to PQD.

Last edited by Tblack15; Oct 7, 2014 at 1:13 pm Reason: update
Old Oct 7, 2014, 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by Tblack15
Ugh, I have a feeling a lot of people will be doing this... Thoughts on creating a "PQD Run" forum?

Sadly from what I understand, it's tickets (less taxes) & E+ purchases only that apply to PQD.

Hopefully, you can do a quick run LAX/SFO RT or something of the like from your home airport...

Edit: Now that I think about it.. what about a buy-up? If you're doing a trip in Y, maybe you're in a high booking class that will offer a cheap buy-up to F.. I had one once for $50 DEN-ORD that credited to PQD.
An enterprising person with a history of being loyal (at the 1K level) to UA might float the idea to United Insider that you could choose to donate not just miles to $$$ through UA to a charity and have those $$$ count as PQDs maybe? Would be a win-win for all, I'd think.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.