Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs in 2014 for Elite Status in 2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 9, 2014, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs in 2014 for Elite Status in 2015

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2014, 10:43 am

548 miles short including one remaining first class flight SFO-DCA. I could buy PQM at check in, probably 2500 miles for $400+ (my offer yesterday for MSY-SFO). PQDs not a problem (will be over $4,000 by year end which is annoyingly above the threshold for being under it mileage wise).

Cheapest flight out of SFO between now and Dec 30 is to Redding, CA. This is a prop jet flight ~1 each way Dec 26 6 PM to 9 PM. Quick and easy.

Do I still get the minimum 500 miles per leg being Silver? Not sure if prop jet flights are different.

Any better options for a run? Prices for any reasonable times to/from LAX have jumped.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 10:48 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by neutral
... Do I still get the minimum 500 miles per leg being Silver? Not sure if prop jet flights are different. .....
All UA elites on all UA and UX flights (and some *A carriers) receive 500 mile mins for all paid fares (some of the *A partners reduce the amount for discount economy). On UX you will be fine.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 11:19 am

Once you get past status/fare class in terms of upgrade priority, is it ordered by last name? order of check-in? Thanks!
Old Dec 16, 2014, 11:28 am

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by nygiants242
Once you get past status/fare class in terms of upgrade priority, is it ordered by last name? order of check-in? Thanks!
Time of request. That means for gate upgrades, time of checkin.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 8:28 pm

Hey Everyone!

I currently need 1,151 PQM to qualify for 2015. If I do a quick same day run (IAH<>DFW) for 1,000 PQM, will United forgive the remaining 151 PQM needed? Or better yet the 1,151 needed? :b
What about if I travel in Jan, any hope of them allowing PQMs earned then to qualify? Problem is I'll be out of the country from 26 DEC to 26 JAN.

(questioning if it's even worth it after the recent program changes)
Old Dec 16, 2014, 9:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by sdonabedian
Hey Everyone!

I currently need 1,151 PQM to qualify for 2015. If I do a quick same day run (IAH<>DFW) for 1,000 PQM, will United forgive the remaining 151 PQM needed? Or better yet the 1,151 needed? :b
What about if I travel in Jan, any hope of them allowing PQMs earned then to qualify?
No to all three.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 9:41 pm

Welcome to FT!,sdonabedian
... I currently need 1,151 PQM to qualify for 2015. If I do a quick same day run (IAH<>DFW) for 1,000 PQM, will United forgive the remaining 151 PQM needed? Or better yet the 1,151 needed? :b
What about if I travel in Jan, any hope of them allowing PQMs earned then to qualify? Problem is I'll be out of the country from 26 DEC to 26 JAN. ...
Over look 151 shortage? unknown and the question many have -- can you live with the wrong answer?
Over look 1,151 shortage? very, very doubtful
Allow use of January travel to meet shortage? Never have heard of anyone being successful of this and there are reports of those that have failed trying.

... (questioning if it's even worth it after the recent program changes)
Always a good question -- always a individual cost vs benefit tradeoff.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 10:11 pm

Programs: UA Gold
You can do the IAH-DFW with one leg in first and have enough.
Ehhh,.. That is if they have a 2 class plane on the route. Otherwise you could head over this way (TPA) for a same day return.

Anyway you go you're looking at a premium price for not purchasing in advance.

Last edited by FTstudent; Dec 16, 2014 at 10:18 pm
Old Dec 17, 2014, 7:15 am

Originally Posted by FTstudent
You can do the IAH-DFW with one leg in first and have enough.
Ehhh,.. That is if they have a 2 class plane on the route. Otherwise you could head over this way (TPA) for a same day return.

Anyway you go you're looking at a premium price for not purchasing in advance.
Yeah I should look into that as well...thanks for the info guys!
Old Dec 17, 2014, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by Xyzzy
Your math does not take into account that UA credits dollars to segmets according to "Industry standards" and nt acording to how many dollars are assigned to each coupon in the fare calculation. From what I've seen the amount of PQD credited per segment is based mostly on distance flown on a particularlar segment as a percentage of the total distance flown that is then taken as a percentage off of the fare paid -- less government fees.
This only applies to flights that share a fare. Since his ticket has multiple fares the PQD will be distributed between the appropriate flights only.

Originally Posted by andy_b
/FC SFO UA X/CLE UA FMY 339.53QAA07AKN US X/CLT US RDU Q FMYRDU18.60164.65SA14ZNH1 UA SFO Q27.91 248.37SDA14AFN USD 799.06 END ZP SFO CLERSW CLT RDU XT59.94US20.00ZP16.80AY16.50XF SFO4.5CLE4.5CLT3RDU4.5
SFO-CLE-FMY = 340 PQD
FMY-CLT-RDU = 0 PQD (if you don't earn PQM you don't earn PQD)
RDU-SFO = 249 PQD (in 2015)

Unfortunately the last flight (RDU-SFO) is Jan 3. The way I read it, the first flight SFO-CLE-FMY is $339.53, the second flight (even though it's on AA, it's a United ticket, so I hope it counts) is $18.6+$164.6 = $183.

So, if my thinking is correct (please correct me if I'm wrong), I'll be $171 short of gold.

Now, I can upgrade myself to E+ on SFO-CLE-FMY, but that only gets me to $143! ~$28 short!!

Any suggestions for burning $170? on UA? How about $28?

Much thanks!
It looks like you're 354 short... if you're in SFO this weekend you can book a (relatively expensive) SFO-XXX turn. Looking at the weather I would say there's a decent chance things will be running smoothly in which case you can do something really short like SFO-SMF. Of course if things go fubar you're better off with mainline (I'd recommend SFO-LAX based on frequency).
Old Dec 17, 2014, 11:55 am

73K Miles, $25K spend ==> UA Platinum???

Hi-

I apologize if a similar question has been answered previously. I am currently a UA Platinum, achieved via a successful status match challenge earlier this year. I fly a combination of paid FC for business and paid coach for personal and for the year, primarily domestic. I am at 73,100 PQM, $25,000 PQD and 42 PQS through mid-December with no further travel planned for 2014. My question is, is there any chance United looks at this profile and will award Platinum status for next year based on the high spend (3.3x requirement), despite being short 1,900 PQM? Is there a precedent for United making this kind of decision?

Of course, I could try to find a mileage run fare over next 14 days but would ideally like to avoid if possible.

Thank you,
LBLB4499
Old Dec 17, 2014, 12:13 pm

Welcome to FT!,LBLB4499
Originally Posted by LBLB4499
.... I am at 73,100 PQM, $25,000 PQD and 42 PQS through mid-December with no further travel planned for 2014. My question is, is there any chance United looks at this profile and will award Platinum status for next year based on the high spend (3.3x requirement), despite being short 1,900 PQM? ...
Any chance? -- maybe but no way to predict.

Originally Posted by LBLB4499
.... Is there a precedent for United making this kind of decision? ....
PQD are new this qualification cycle, so nothing to base a precedent on.
Additionally the addition of PQD is showing a change of direction for elite programs so past year's precedents are probably not very applicable.

You can try calling MP Service Center and see if they will make a written commitment, but short of a written commitment -- you have a decision to make.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 5:15 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Need 2300 miles before end of the year

I need 2300 PQM to reach the next status tier before the end of 2014. I've checked UA.com but I really can't find any good deals, and all of the stuff on theflightdeal.com appears to be valid from January next year or after (too late for me). Does anyone have any tips on how to get 2300 miles as cheaply as possible? I tried booking a flight and seeing how much buying the PQM would cost...no thanks. UA is asking way too much for those miles, and I'd rather get RDM without paying 2.9cpm or more on top of the cost of the PQM.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 5:19 pm

Programs: BA Gold, B6 Mosiac, VS, AA, DL (and a legacy UA 2MM)
Wow, you've really waited until the last moment!

Out of SFO it will be hard to find under $600 or so in December for that any miles (like ORD). Try looking at routes where there is competition, and maybe you can find something. Try SJC and OAK also

Last edited by StingWest; Dec 17, 2014 at 5:25 pm
Old Dec 17, 2014, 5:20 pm

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
I recommend checking the mileage-run forum on FT as that's a constant topic of conversation there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.