Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs in 2014 for Elite Status in 2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 9, 2014, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs in 2014 for Elite Status in 2015

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2014, 12:21 pm

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by sohb
haha, not that crazy : ) but I didnt think the accelerator miles counted towards status?

I totally forgot to tell my home base is SFO, I will be doing at least 3 east coast trips so thats around 20ishk so a trip to Asia might be what I am looking for then, 1000 dollars to SIN sounds nice, BKK would be even better - but I can´t seem to find any such flights though.
Once you select accelerator, an option to select PQM (which DO count for status) for purchase will come up. This time of year, you can expect to pay 14 cpm for PQM, and it will continue to go up in OCT NOV DEC

..and spending money just for status is crazy.....
Old Oct 4, 2014, 12:26 pm

Programs: UA MP Gold, 1MM, Global Entry
haha, not that crazy : ) but I didnt think the accelerator miles counted towards status?
There are 2 parts - the first is Award Accelerator which only puts redeemable miles in your account. The second is Premier Accelerator which costs substantially more and adds the same number of miles to your PQM total for the year, but does not add any additional spendable miles above the Award Accelerator deposit. Both types can be purchased on paid or award tickets, and can be done within the 24 hour cancelation period so the ticket can even be cancelled at no fee and you get to keep the miles purchased. Many people find that the cost of both types of miles are cheapest (that is a relative term) on international itineraries.
Old Oct 4, 2014, 1:10 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since

I totally forgot to tell my home base is SFO, I will be doing at least 3 east coast trips so thats around 20ishk so a trip to Asia might be what I am looking for then, 1000 dollars to SIN sounds nice, BKK would be even better - but I can´t seem to find any such flights though.
Give me some dates and I can try and find some flights. I rarely fail at attempts to do foolish things.

BKK isn't so easy though, since UA no longer flies there and the resulting reduction in capacity has likely raised fares a bit. SIN is reliable (for low fares), MNL very reliable, but the MNL turnaround is ugly.

If you want to try something relatively novel, there's the "Island Hopper" through Micronesia. But you've really got to have an iron butt to pull it off.
Old Oct 4, 2014, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
Originally Posted by LaserSailor
<snip>
..and spending money just for status is crazy.....
It certainly is these days...

Last edited by goalie; Oct 5, 2014 at 10:16 am Reason: fixed bb code
Old Oct 4, 2014, 1:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
UA doesn't fly to BKK. You have to connect to NH in NRT to get a cheap fare.

From SFO, you can route through any of the hubs on the TPAC, so SFO-EWR-NRT/HKG-SIN is legit. Or SFO-LAX-EWR-NRT/HKG-SIN for the extra 500 miles. SFO-NRT/HKG-SIN alone is close to 20,000 miles though.
Old Oct 4, 2014, 1:26 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by Kacee
UA doesn't fly to BKK. You have to connect to NH in NRT to get a cheap fare.

From SFO, you can route through any of the hubs on the TPAC, so SFO-EWR-NRT/HKG-SIN is legit. Or SFO-LAX-EWR-NRT/HKG-SIN for the extra 500 miles. SFO-NRT/HKG-SIN alone is close to 20,000 miles though.
And don't forget to look for airports that have showers mid-way! My SFO-HNL-GUM-MNL-GUM-HNL-LAX-SFO was a lot of flying with no more than 3 hours on the ground anywhere, and no showers. At SIN you can get showers and even short-term (6 hour) rooms with a bed. About $50 if I recall correctly, and well worth it. Showers to be had at the ANA lounge in NRT as well.

Last edited by Mike Jacoubowsky; Oct 4, 2014 at 4:05 pm
Old Oct 4, 2014, 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
And don't forget to look for airports that have showers mid-way!
Is there a wiki for aerodromes with showers?
If yes, for the sake of fellow passengers, it should be a sticky on the MR thread.

To the original poster, please let us know how you progress between now and Dec 31.
Old Oct 4, 2014, 3:35 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, SPG Gold, UA MP
If you're only 20K or so miles short, may I suggest SFO-JFK-LAX/SFO-HNL type of MR? It's all domestic, short turnaround at HNL, and if you purchase P fare for about $2300 it's 150% status and you get the PS experience which is very doable. I recently did one for 15K for JFK-LAX/SFO-HNL for $2000+ in P. Adding a RT SFO-JFK will get you 5000 miles and if in P will be 7500, very doable.
Old Oct 4, 2014, 3:49 pm

Don't really see any merits of spending time and money to get 1K for your predicament. SFO is not such an attractive base for 1K.
Old Oct 4, 2014, 3:54 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by JackInThePlane
Don't really see any merits of spending time and money to get 1K for your predicament. SFO is not such an attractive base for 1K.
Totally disagree as an SFO based 1K.

I don't recall OP asking for opinions on whether 1K is worth it. There's a whole thread on that topic so perhaps we can leave those posts there
Old Oct 4, 2014, 4:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM - AF G – TK G – AZ Ex – Hilton D – Marriott G – IHG P
This thread is very interesting to me.

I need 49,500 more this year, oddly enough. I do have 30K in additional business trips already planned this year, though, but those are going to eat up all of the rest of October and December.

Therefore, I need 19,500 in November. Could you give me some suggestions from TPA or MCO? I can stay for a few days as I have lots of free time in November. Is that HNL flight a good one from here?

I'm pretty sure I'll find a way to do it though. The 8 GPUs alone (I trade 4 RPUs for the last two.) are worth it in my mind as I have always been able to use them successfully on NRT flights. Everything else--and there is a lot, really--is just gravy.

I often find myself wondering whether AA would be better, though, given the theoretical loss of the extra baggage in BKK (so far they have let me board with 3@70 pounds due to the fact that I have a C TPAC flight), the loss of at least 20-30k miles per year due to the new revenue based milage calculations, and the fact that AA puts you in the First Class lounges. Anyway, I will try to requalify as 1K this year and consider a possible status match on AA early next year.
Old Oct 4, 2014, 4:51 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, SPG Gold, UA MP
Originally Posted by TomA
This thread is very interesting to me.

I need 49,500 more this year, oddly enough. I do have 30K in additional business trips already planned this year, though, but those are going to eat up all of the rest of October and December.

Therefore, I need 19,500 in November. Could you give me some suggestions from TPA or MCO? I can stay for a few days as I have lots of free time in November. Is that HNL flight a good one from here?

I'm pretty sure I'll find a way to do it though. The 8 GPUs alone (I trade 4 RPUs for the last two.) are worth it in my mind as I have always been able to use them successfully on NRT flights. Everything else--and there is a lot, really--is just gravy.

I often find myself wondering whether AA would be better, though, given the theoretical loss of the extra baggage in BKK (so far they have let me board with 3@70 pounds due to the fact that I have a C TPAC flight), the loss of at least 20-30k miles per year due to the new revenue based milage calculations, and the fact that AA puts you in the First Class lounges. Anyway, I will try to requalify as 1K this year and consider a possible status match on AA early next year.
I don't know too much about TPA/MCO as base, but you can consider IAH as a hub to HNL with lie-flat seats in J. TPA/MCO will have to go EWR as direct flight, then EWL-HNL lie flat but FTers here have said the service apparently wasn't that good. Either route should get you the 15K on P fare. I think IAH/IAD to NRT/HND may also be a possibility but don't know the fares on that route. ORD may be another good hub to connect for TPAC MR.

GT
Old Oct 4, 2014, 4:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM - AF G – TK G – AZ Ex – Hilton D – Marriott G – IHG P
It appears that the longest F flight from TPA to HNL will net about 17,000 miles, including the 50% bonus. Those are TPA-IAD-SFO-HNL

All of the routings are just under $2100 as of now.
Old Oct 4, 2014, 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by gtpdiddy
I don't know too much about TPA/MCO as base, but you can consider IAH as a hub to HNL with lie-flat seats in J.
There are no lie-flats IAH-HNL. Only EWR and IAD are regularly scheduled with lie-flats. IAH gets the Hawaii config 772.
Old Oct 4, 2014, 11:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K
This thread should be in the MR Discussion Forum.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.