Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on a United 787-9 (non-Polaris seat)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 3, 2016, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
General consensus: In United Polaris business Cabin, 1D and 6D/E are the best seats on this plane due to the giant footrest area and direct aisle access without anyone having to step over you to get to the aisle. 1E is very close to the forward lav, however.
For further details, see poster #1 and also 787-8 thread. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1394369-everything-you-want-know-about-where-sit-united-dreamliner-787-8-a.html
UA 787-9 link

Fixed bassinets available at 6AB, 6KL, 16ABC, 16DEF, 16JKL, 29DEF

related thread - Everything You Want to Know about Where to Sit on the 789 true Polaris and PP version
Print Wikipost

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on a United 787-9 (non-Polaris seat)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2016, 12:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by brianmahanan
thanks, that is good to hear.
My experience is the same - overhead bins, but not underseat storage. Leg room pretty good, but not "infinite".

IIRC, the last bit of the business cabin overhead space was also effectively available because of the partitioning and lack of demand for it from J, but YMMV.
Old Oct 11, 2016, 5:24 pm

Programs: United GS, MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Kacee
Because you're closer to the galley and there's a closet where the FAs load the dirty dishes right next to you, in front of 1B. Also, 1D will still be uncomfortably close to the lav. I could very clearly hear it flushing from 1E. The door is less than 5 feet away from that seat.

The seat map does not accurately depict the location of these seats in relation to the galley. Row 1 is right on top of the galley (and lav); row 6 has extra separation from the galley, and the lavs are on the far side of the galley.
After reading this, I decided to move us to 2/3 KL on the way home.
Old Oct 12, 2016, 2:28 am

I don't know what I was thinking but I booked SFO-SIN for my wife and I in economy. It looks like 16 would have been the best bet for E+ but only b and k are open.

Which two seat combos would you recommend with these available 27b/c/j/k ($229) 29d/e/f ($177)?
Old Oct 24, 2016, 1:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, UA Million Miler
Just booked LAX-NRT on the 789 and snagged 6D both ways. I'm very new to this route and am curious if they often swap the -8 for the -9? If they do I assume I'm hosed in row 6. (was tempted to book row 1 to mitigate)
Old Oct 24, 2016, 8:09 pm

Programs: UA MMGold, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by rescuedoges
I don't know what I was thinking but I booked SFO-SIN for my wife and I in economy. It looks like 16 would have been the best bet for E+ but only b and k are open.

Which two seat combos would you recommend with these available 27b/c/j/k ($229) 29d/e/f ($177)?
Welcome to FT rescuedoges!

Just had my first trip on 787-9. My thought is 29d/e/f is probably better as row 27 probably get more foot traffic for people going in/out of lav and the light from the lav. Row 29 is bit more sheltered.

I don't quite get why there is price difference? both options you listed here are E+ per the seating chart.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 8:40 pm

Programs: 1 thousand
Originally Posted by wendySFO
Welcome to FT rescuedoges!

Just had my first trip on 787-9. My thought is 29d/e/f is probably better as row 27 probably get more foot traffic for people going in/out of lav and the light from the lav. Row 29 is bit more sheltered.

I don't quite get why there is price difference? both options you listed here are E+ per the seating chart.
E+ pricing is variable and seat specific. IIRC Windows and Aisles cost more than middles. Exits seemingly cost more than bulkheads, not sure how bulkheads compare to normal seats though.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 1:30 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
Right now I have 16a/16c (16b empty) on PVG-SFO UA890. Looks like there is a high chance that E+ will be sparsely filled. Would people rather be in row 16, with an empty middle seat, or in different E+ row(s) with the chance that you are the only person in that row? I don't need to sit with my companion.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 6:05 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by GoSh4rks
Right now I have 16a/16c (16b empty) on PVG-SFO UA890. Looks like there is a high chance that E+ will be sparsely filled. Would people rather be in row 16, with an empty middle seat, or in different E+ row(s) with the chance that you are the only person in that row? I don't need to sit with my companion.
For standby passengers, seats are filled front to back, with the exception that the GA's usually try to avoid middle seats.

But once the aisles/windows are gone, seats are filled front to back. So 16B will be one of those that would be filled first, possibly even to use the bassinet positioned there.

Why not take another row and possibly have three empty seats next to you? Unless you're > 6 feet and you need the footspace in front of you on the bulkhead, I'd move. Or you can just keep your seat and see how things go and move right before boarding
Old Nov 7, 2016, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by laxmillenial
Or you can just keep your seat and see how things go and move right before boarding
This. Take the seat you'd want if the plane were booked full, and then you can opportunistically move when you see where the standbys are going to sit.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 4:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by findark
This. Take the seat you'd want if the plane were booked full, and then you can opportunistically move when you see where the standbys are going to sit.
Agreed. 16C is as good as any you'll get, unless flight is so open you can get 3 to yourself. I'd wait until a few hours before flight, after they've started assigning seatless pax.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 6:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by Kacee
In 1E right now. Huge footwell. And a great view of the busiest lav barely 5 feet way, and then straight into the galley. Won't choose row 1 again.
What about 1L? Surely that isn't looking directly at a lav. And it has plenty of leg space, right?
Old Nov 7, 2016, 6:19 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
Thumbs up UA 2 Economy 37J

First time flying the 787, sat in Economy, 37J.

Overall, I may be in the minority here, but felt the seats were comfortable enough (for the 12.5 hour flight), I am 6' 220 and felt like I had plenty of legroom and space. Seat back entertainment was great, loved the touch screen, overall was stressed about the flight before hand, afterwards my thoughts are, not as bad as I thought. Do I ever want to fly a TPAC in Y again... no... but the Y seats are not tortuous, and the food was good.

Pics below:
Attached Images    
Old Nov 7, 2016, 7:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by stimpy
What about 1L? Surely that isn't looking directly at a lav.
No but you'll hear the flush.

Originally Posted by stimpy
And it has plenty of leg space, right?
Yes, as a bulkhead it has the larger footwell.
Old Nov 17, 2016, 1:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
SeatGuru reports that row 4 has no window. True?

Top priority is a reasonable view out of the plane (hence I prefer not to sit aft of door 2 if I can help it). Choices of 4L, 5A, and pretty much everything in rows 6-8.
Old Nov 17, 2016, 8:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by findark
SeatGuru reports that row 4 has no window. True?
Correct. See Seth's first post in this thread.

I would choose row 6 if sleep is in your plans. But row 5 would be better for view as you're clear of the wing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.