Search

ORD-HNL Upgrade Chances?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2014, 8:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: 1k
ORD-HNL Upgrade Chances?

Hi,

Apologies in advance if I can find this easily somewhere, please point me in the right direction and I will shut up. I am looking at traveling ORD-HNL from 12/12-12/15. There is a W fare available on the non-stop (#219) outbound, no R availability. I'd prefer to be on the non-stop and would love an upgrade (would use miles). My question is this: is there any way of knowing the potential odds of this? I know there is no concrete answer but based on people's experiences? I am Gold if that matters.

Alternately, for $625 more I could fly first round-trip connecting both ways; my travel companion is already on the non-stop though which is why I would prefer that flight.

Any thoughts or ideas?

Thank you!
Old Sep 22, 2014, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
near zero percent chance of clearing a complimentary upgrade as a gold.

if you are using miles to support your upgrade, you have a reasonable, but not assured chance. i'd choose a day with a lot of F availability when you book, since it sounds like you have some flexibility in your travel.

i'd also strongly consider the one-stop in confirmed F, since you'll get the big seat both ways and the bonus PQM and RDM for traveling in paid F. i assume the stop is either in LAX or SFO?
Old Sep 22, 2014, 9:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PV_Premier

if you are using miles to support your upgrade, you have a reasonable, but not assured chance. i'd choose a day with a lot of F availability when you book, since it sounds like you have some flexibility in your travel.

i'd also strongly consider the one-stop in confirmed F, since you'll get the big seat both ways and the bonus PQM and RDM for traveling in paid F. i assume the stop is either in LAX or SFO?

Thanks for your reply! I'd be using miles to support my upgrade, but that sounds like it probably doesn't have a great chance either?

The one-stop in confirmed first could stop in either LAX or SFO - both have short connections - any idea if one is better than the other? Probably easier to make a connection at LAX?

These are the confirmed first choices:

Depart:
8:01 a.m.
Fri., Dec. 12, 2014
Chicago, IL (ORD - O'Hare)

Arrive:
10:48 a.m.
Fri., Dec. 12, 2014
San Francisco, CA (SFO)
Aircraft: Boeing 737-900
Fare Class: United First (P)

Change Planes. Connect time in San Francisco, CA (SFO) is 37 minutes.

Depart:
11:25 a.m.
Fri., Dec. 12, 2014
San Francisco, CA (SFO)

Arrive:
2:49 p.m.
Fri., Dec. 12, 2014
Honolulu, HI (HNL)
Flight: UA300
Aircraft: Boeing 777-200

OR

Depart:
7:30 a.m
Fri., Dec. 12, 2014

Arrive:
9:55 a.m.
Fri., Dec. 12, 2014
Los Angeles, CA (LAX)
Aircraft: Boeing 757-200

Change Planes. Connect time in Los Angeles, CA (LAX) is 35 minutes.

Depart:
10:30 a.m.
Fri., Dec. 12, 2014
Los Angeles, CA (LAX)

Arrive:
2:31 p.m.
Fri., Dec. 12, 2014
Honolulu, HI (HNL)
Flight: UA1224
Aircraft: Boeing 737-800
Old Sep 22, 2014, 9:06 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by PV_Premier

+1
OP, have you flown the ORD-HNL before? It's a pretty miserable long haul flight. It's like flying to Europe but on a domestic plane with domestic service. I actually welcome the stop in LAX or SFO to stretch my legs and get a decent bite to eat. You may be fine with it, i just wanted to warn you as everyone has different tolerance levels.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 9:10 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by jah294
Thanks for your reply! I'd be using miles to support my upgrade, but that sounds like it probably doesn't have a great chance either?

The one-stop in confirmed first could stop in either LAX or SFO - both have short connections - any idea if one is better than the other? Probably easier to make a connection at LAX?

These are the confirmed first choices:

Depart:
8:01 a.m.
Fri., Dec. 12, 2014

Arrive:
10:48 a.m.
Fri., Dec. 12, 2014
San Francisco, CA (SFO)
Aircraft: Boeing 737-900

Change Planes. Connect time in San Francisco, CA (SFO) is 37 minutes.

Depart:
11:25 a.m.
Fri., Dec. 12, 2014
San Francisco, CA (SFO)

Arrive:
2:49 p.m.
Fri., Dec. 12, 2014
Honolulu, HI (HNL)
Flight: UA300
Aircraft: Boeing 777-200

OR

Depart:
7:30 a.m
Fri., Dec. 12, 2014

Arrive:
9:55 a.m.
Fri., Dec. 12, 2014
Los Angeles, CA (LAX)
Aircraft: Boeing 757-200

Change Planes. Connect time in Los Angeles, CA (LAX) is 35 minutes.

Depart:
10:30 a.m.
Fri., Dec. 12, 2014
Los Angeles, CA (LAX)

Arrive:
2:31 p.m.
Fri., Dec. 12, 2014
Honolulu, HI (HNL)
Flight: UA1224
Aircraft: Boeing 737-800
I'd go with the SFO connection. At least you have a better seat for the longer flight, and UA300 usually has some fantastic HNL-based cabin crews.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 9:12 am

IMO, both of those connection times are tight, given UA's terrible on-time stats. Either could mean a sprint through the terminal, and if you're checking bags, a good chance they end up on a later flight.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 9:24 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
I fly this route very very very often, and don't connect, it is NOT worth it. Especially the return. The return I've done in under 7 hours. It used to be a 8pm departure but it looks like in December it's back to a 4pm which will still be dark. Everytime I've connected, I've missed a connection or had something go wrong. And adding 3-5 hours, is not worth it. I take the ORD-HNL and I'm on the beach by 330pm. No need to get up early to connect.

As far as a Gold upgrade, it can be done, and I've been upgraded several times as a Gold, but it was on a high fare.

If you are flying with someone else, the 2 side on the 777 is a great seat, would I upgrade yes, but not the return. And a connection just makes the trip much much longer.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 9:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
ORD-HNL will be a Hawaii config 772 with barcaloungers. That's a much better seat (53" pitch, leg/footrest) than you'll get in the domestic F cabins of your alternative itineraries. That LAX itinerary in particular has a 738 for the over-water segment, which I would avoid at all costs.

You do not need a W fare for mileage plus upgrade.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
35 mins at LAX is much more doable than 37 mins at SFO on an average day. however, 737-800 is not all that much fun for LAX-HNL.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 9:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JBord
+1
OP, have you flown the ORD-HNL before? It's a pretty miserable long haul flight. It's like flying to Europe but on a domestic plane with domestic service. I actually welcome the stop in LAX or SFO to stretch my legs and get a decent bite to eat. You may be fine with it, i just wanted to warn you as everyone has different tolerance levels.
I actually have not flown ORD-HNL before and you make an excellent point - the stop might actually be nice!
Old Sep 22, 2014, 9:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I actually have not flown ORD-HNL before and you make an excellent point - the stop might actually be nice!
Not if half or all of your itinerary is on a narrowbody with domestic F.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 9:39 am
Original Poster

Ah, thanks for all of the replies everyone. Now I'm a little confused. In summary (I think):

1. There is a chance, maybe not a very good one, but a chance nonetheless, that I can upgrade a W fare with miles for the non-stop.

2. If I connect, I have a better chance of making the connection in LAX, however, I should probably avoid the LAX flight because the 737-800 isn't that great.

3. Connecting might be nice to avoid the super long flight in domestic first (or maybe even coach if the upgrade is not cleared).

4. I should go non-stop on the way back (yes, the 4pm-ish flight).

5. The connection times are tight and I have a decent chance of missing my flight (would not be checking a bag, but still).

I think I have a lot more to think about now - I do really appreciate the collective wisdom of FT!!
Old Sep 22, 2014, 9:46 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EP, DL PL, HH Dia, Marriott Gld, National Exp
Originally Posted by JBord
IMO, both of those connection times are tight, given UA's terrible on-time stats. Either could mean a sprint through the terminal, and if you're checking bags, a good chance they end up on a later flight.
This.

35 minute connection in reality means you have 20 minutes before the doors close. Not impossible, but quite a risk IMHO.

Recently, after an on-time <gasp> arrival in SFO, ended up sitting on the tarmac for an hour waiting for our gate to open.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 9:54 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
As someone who has flown this route 4 times this year, with 2 more coming up, you do not want to connect. I'm not sure what the fun is to fly on a 737 from ORD-SFO or LAX, then onto another 737. The 777 non stop is a nice aircraft, and if you are flying with someone else, the 2 side is fantastic. Bring some snacks, some entertainment, and you will be fine. No need to add the headache of a connection. If you can fly 777 first class, the seat is nice, not lie flat, but you can still sleep in that seat. Row 1 is the best seat on that plane.

I'm not sure why people are trying to convince the OP to fly a narrowbody, from ORD-SFO or LAX-HNL... If you were going to OGG or KOA, I can see a stop, but the non stop, yes long, but not bad. ORD-SFO is 4 hours if not more, then SFO-HNL is another 5 hours. The 777 non stop saves you time and the worry about a connection, and in December, ORD can be delayed, which will cause you to miss a connection. My experience, the 777 non stop, even in bad weather, seems to get out eventually..
Old Sep 22, 2014, 10:02 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
ORD-HNL will be a Hawaii config 772 with barcaloungers. That's a much better seat (53" pitch, leg/footrest) than you'll get in the domestic F cabins of your alternative itineraries. That LAX itinerary in particular has a 738 for the over-water segment, which I would avoid at all costs.

You do not need a W fare for mileage plus upgrade.
Has this changed? It's been almost 2 years since I flew the nonstop, but it had regular domestic F seats. Or maybe that's what you mean by barcalounger (I think old Intl business class).

Perhaps I was just unlucky and had a plane swap? If true, there's no question for me that the OP should take the 777.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.