Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA to end JFK-IAD Service, Effective 25 October 2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2014, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
I had several itineraries hit with schedule changes last night.

They seemed to have totally dropped IAD flights to/from JFK. That eliminates JFK as option for most of the Eastern USA as there are no JFK flights from ORD either. Seems to be effective from late October.

So much for access to P.S. flights. Totally kills one of my itineraries. No way to get to JFK.

More network shrinkage....

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Sep 20, 2014 at 1:03 pm Reason: I believe this is worthy of it's own thread. Title added with effective date
Old Sep 20, 2014, 7:17 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by goodeats21
I had several itineraries hit with schedule changes last night.

They seemed to have totally dropped IAD flights to/from JFK. That eliminates JFK as option for most of the Eastern USA as there are no JFK flights from ORD either. Seems to be effective from late October.

So much for access to P.S. flights. Totally kills one of my itineraries. No way to get to JFK.

More network shrinkage....
I wonder if this is a glitch, or a permanent problem? IAD-JFK still shows up on the PDF timetable, but I can't find it on the interactive timetable after 10/15.

I suppose one could still fly to LGA and take the bus over to JFK, but what a pain.
Old Sep 20, 2014, 8:31 am

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Originally Posted by goodeats21
via twitter

@united r u ending all IAD flights to/from JFK after 15OCT?

@anc-ord772 The last day is the 25th of October.

Last edited by anc-ord772; Sep 20, 2014 at 8:36 am
Old Sep 20, 2014, 9:08 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by anc-ord772
via twitter

@united r u ending all IAD flights to/from JFK after 15OCT?

@anc-ord772 The last day is the 25th of October.
That really sucks as IAD-JFK (and vv) was a nice "out" under irrops at either airport. So does that leave JFK with only PS flights as the only UA presence?
Old Sep 20, 2014, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by goalie
That really sucks as IAD-JFK (and vv) was a nice "out" under irrops at either airport. So does that leave JFK with only PS flights as the only UA presence?
Yes

Bigger question - what happens to those slots? Doubt they add PS frequency.
Old Sep 20, 2014, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by goalie
I took my first crack at a call with the (fake) 1K desk. The agent had no idea of the JFK eliminations and was at a loss for what to do with my itinerary.

I purposefully just asked for options to see what they would suggest. The only option they offered was a refund.

I told them I would do some searching for options, so they left it intact for now.
Old Sep 20, 2014, 12:55 pm

Programs: UA S, Marriott P

Just saw a red alert on my reservation and the change was that JFK-IAD segment of JFK-IAD-AUA was dropped.
Called the 1K line the first rep was only willing to change to LGA-IAD-AUA and not EWR-AUA, and she also checked other days and so no other JFK-IAD flights.
Her thought was that UA pulled out of that market.
A quick check with KVS and other tools confirmed it.
Old Sep 20, 2014, 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by dsauch
Just saw a red alert on my reservation and the change was that JFK-IAD segment of JFK-IAD-AUA was dropped.
Called the 1K line the first rep was only willing to change to LGA-IAD-AUA and not EWR-AUA, and she also checked other days and so no other JFK-IAD flights.
Her thought was that UA pulled out of that market.
A quick check with KVS and other tools confirmed it.
HUACA re: getting EWR-AUA. They ought to allow that switch.
Old Sep 20, 2014, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by exerda
Seriously. Why the never-ending pushback on the most obvious substitutions?
Old Sep 20, 2014, 1:16 pm

Programs: UA S, Marriott P
Originally Posted by exerda
yep, HUACA was in progress - second rep not only changed the outbound to direct, but also the return. And in a higher bucket as well. So I lost 2 hours on a beach (1 in, 1 out) but gained peace of mind avoiding 1h connections in IAD and PTY :-)
all in all, I'd say a win :-)^

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Seriously. Why the never-ending pushback on the most obvious substitutions?
her reasoning was: "if you wanted a non-stop you would have bought a non-stop". And - "we have other alternatives".
I was not going to argue with her - just glad she didnt put notes in my PNR and second rep was much nicer.
In the same vein - if I wanted to fly from LGA I would have bought LGA...

Last edited by dsauch; Sep 20, 2014 at 1:19 pm Reason: combined reply
Old Sep 20, 2014, 1:22 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Yeah, enjoy EWR.

Not a win in my book.
Old Sep 20, 2014, 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by dsauch
her reasoning was: "if you wanted a non-stop you would have bought a non-stop".
IMHO this is worthy of a complaint. UA screws up your res by cancelling the JFK-IAD segment, and the agent blames you for booking a connection?
Old Sep 20, 2014, 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Bigger question - what happens to those slots? Doubt they add PS frequency.
I wonder if these can be sold? Maybe it'd swap with Frontier: Frontier's 2 LGA slot pairs for the 4 UA JFK slot pairs. LGA seems to hold greater value so maye a good ratio is 2:4. This would guarantee also that Frontier doesn't swap out it's LGA slots for EWR slots and UA having to deal with a ULCC in EWR.

UA can also add ORD and IAD into ISP (Long Island) airport. Fares wouldn't be competitive and more like how UA sells high fares on MHT-ORD and PVD-ORD even though Southwest offers much lower fares to MDW, but UA keeps the flights for connections.
Old Sep 20, 2014, 3:03 pm

Programs: UA Silver
I always thought it was an odd route. JFK to nowhere else, no ORD, IAH, but IAD.
Old Sep 20, 2014, 3:16 pm

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
Originally Posted by blug
I always thought it was an odd route. JFK to nowhere else, no ORD, IAH, but IAD.
NYC is the financial capital of the United States, and home to the United Nations. WAS is the political capital of the United States. Makes sense from that perspective alone.

As much as I despise the CRJ200's this is a loss to the network. I hope it is replaced by some other service; either to some other UA hubs or international destinations.

SunLover

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.