Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA to end JFK-IAD Service, Effective 25 October 2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA to end JFK-IAD Service, Effective 25 October 2014

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2014, 5:41 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Sorry to hear the JFK-IAD flights going away. One of my first international business trips was IAD-JFK-GRU.

I also flew PS a few times with IAD being my starting or ending point. It came in handy a few times when taking bumps on the SFO-IAD red eyes and jumping on the SFO-JFK redeye.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 7:59 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1k, 2.3MM Flyer, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by 787fan
UA flies from NYC to all 3 of DC metro airports, and from IAD to both LGA and EWR, spanning both sides of the river. How exactly is nyc access "limited" ?

The LGA flights are just as hideous (ridiculous timing and miserable delays) as the JFK flights true but now I have just have one option to get to Long Island. Since I am actually going to LI not NYC, EWR is not really a NY airport. Again, a lame, NoVA/Dulles hating decision from a clueless airline that can't figure out how to service the captive audience they have in the most affluent area in the Capital region, and believes, stupidly, that they can cut their way to consistent profitability.

Last edited by goalie; Sep 21, 2014 at 9:23 pm Reason: Fixed Bob code
Old Sep 21, 2014, 8:00 pm

So we have another market between a DL hub and a UA hub which DL operates and UA downsizes?
Old Sep 21, 2014, 8:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA PP, AA, DL, BA, CX, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by whlinder
So we have another market between a DL hub and a UA hub which DL operates and UA downsizes?
It's not comparable. JFK is DL's sole Atlantic hub from the northeast while UA has both EWR and IAD
Old Sep 21, 2014, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
It's not comparable. JFK is DL's sole Atlantic hub from the northeast while UA has both EWR and IAD
EWR is UA's sole hub in the Northeast :-:
Old Sep 21, 2014, 8:12 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
I'm not quite sure I'd call IAD the "northeast."
Old Sep 21, 2014, 8:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by exerda
I'm not quite sure I'd call IAD the "northeast."
Correct. IAD is UA's midatlantic hub.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 8:48 pm

EWR hub or not, the point is DL seems to think there is enough traffic between IAD-JFK and enough flow IAD-JFK-wherever (& v.v) to operate, yet UA thinks there isn't enough IAD-JFK + JFK-IAD-wherever (& v.v)

The other point is DL can suck traffic out of UA's IAD hub but UA can't out of DL's.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 8:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by fly18725
The impact of the small number of eliminated routes is being greatly exaggerated. Particularly in this case, when the city pair is still served with multiple other options.
Maybe exaggerated to some flyer's needs. Obviously, a significant impact for flyers with other needs and expectations.

The shrinking of United's network continues...and it is not a good thing.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by goodeats21
Maybe exaggerated to some flyer's needs. Obviously, a significant impact for flyers with other needs and expectations.

The shrinking of United's network continues...and it is not a good thing.
An airline can't be everything to everyone. People that live on LI or prefer to originate at JFK are not UAL's core customers and it's silly to waste resources trying to compete for that traffic.

Everyone who's complainig about the end of this route is highlighting the connection opportunities it gave, none of which are particularly profitable business.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 11:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by whlinder
EWR hub or not, the point is DL seems to think there is enough traffic between IAD-JFK and enough flow IAD-JFK-wherever (& v.v) to operate, yet UA thinks there isn't enough IAD-JFK + JFK-IAD-wherever (& v.v)

The other point is DL can suck traffic out of UA's IAD hub but UA can't out of DL's.
I have a feeling that IAD-JFK exists on DL because DL uses those flights to feed into their TATL operations. Whereas UA customers have the option to take a nonstop flight in many cases, or connect via EWR. Now, UA could "suck" domestic traffic away from DL at JFK by having people fly JFK-IAD-XXX. But I'm not sure if that would bring in much revenue versus the costs of doing so.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 12:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
I love all the comments made by those posters who are not affected by the elimination of service or not from the areas impacted. Often, they are the first to complain when their frequently flown routes or their home airports are affected.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 12:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by meFIRST
The people at route planning i suppose didn't bother to consider that.
I wonder if they look at profitability by single routes (and use some kind of mileage-pro-rated allocation for connections) OR they actually think about the impact network.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 12:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Always Flyin

The biggest loss is those in the DC area trying to connect through JFK to the multitude of Star carriers flying out of JFK who do not fly out of IAD.
This is the key point. It's a devaluation of the *A network.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 12:50 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by username
I wonder if they look at profitability by single routes (and use some kind of mileage-pro-rated allocation for connections) OR they actually think about the impact network.
Based on the elimination of service to Bangkok, it seems quite clear to me that United does not.

Just like cutting 2-Billion in costs. How much revenue did those cuts cost you? I suspect UA had no idea (and didn't care).

All UA seems to be interested in doing is making the stock analysts happy . . . this quarter.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.