Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"That flight does not exist" - Agents Not Able/Willing to Rebook on Other Airlines

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"That flight does not exist" - Agents Not Able/Willing to Rebook on Other Airlines

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2014, 3:16 am
O62
Original Poster

Is this what we should expect with United every time?

Wife and I (both Silvers) were booked MRY-LAX-SAN early AM. MRY-LAX got CX because the previous evening's flight couldn't make it in because the ILS is down at MRY for a week due to construction.

So, at 1am I see the text and call United, knowing there is a direct MRY-SAN flight with at least a few seats left (I checked on AS website to be sure). We both call (we were on separate PNRs) and about 6 times we get an agent that either says (1) There is no MRY-SAN flight or (2) You'll have to do it at the airport.

Both reasons are obvious BS as we know the flight exists (as much as they didn't want to pretend it did) and we also know that the useless outsourced American Eagle employees at MRY are not going to be very helpful if we get there at 4AM because both UAX flights at MRY were cancelled so they will be manning the Eagle desks for their AM departures - not to mention we shouldn't have to drive to the airport.

Anyways, we call multiple times until voila - magic, "Let me call Alaska" and voila - magic, "They have 2 seats" and voila - magic "Here are two confirmation codes, your flight leaves at 7:50AM, thanks."

It is what should happen the first time, not the 5th or 6th call to play agent duck-duck-goose! Anyways, is this typical? Are we just expected to keep calling until we get an agent that cares and actually knows what the hey-ho they are doing?

It's frustrating to have such inconsistent CS and ones that just are plain lazy and unhelpful.

On the bright side we are rebooked and on a direct flight, so it did work out in the end. Still, the CS process, even for 2 premiers, is just abysmal and not the game we should have to play at 1am, or ever.

Last edited by J.Edward; Sep 21, 2014 at 6:09 am Reason: Update Title
Old Sep 20, 2014, 4:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
This is business as usual with the IAH call center (sorry - I am only speaking from my experience, which is plentiful). If you were calling that late, perhaps you finally reached HNL when you found success.
Old Sep 20, 2014, 5:14 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
File a complaint with Customer Care. If you do not, UA will not change.
Old Sep 20, 2014, 5:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
This is business as usual with the IAH call center (sorry - I am only speaking from my experience, which is plentiful). If you were calling that late, perhaps you finally reached HNL when you found success.
What are the hours that each call center is opened?
Old Sep 20, 2014, 5:47 am

Programs: UA Gold, CO Plat, CO Million Miler
Originally Posted by JoseVerde
Is this what we should expect with United every time?

Wife and I (both Silvers) were booked MRY-LAX-SAN early AM. MRY-LAX got CX because the previous evening's flight couldn't make it in because the ILS is down at MRY for a week due to construction.

So, at 1am I see the text and call United, knowing there is a direct MRY-SAN flight with at least a few seats left (I checked on AS website to be sure). We both call (we were on separate PNRs) and about 6 times we get an agent that either says (1) There is no MRY-SAN flight or (2) You'll have to do it at the airport.

Both reasons are obvious BS as we know the flight exists (as much as they didn't want to pretend it did) and we also know that the useless outsourced American Eagle employees at MRY are not going to be very helpful if we get there at 4AM because both UAX flights at MRY were cancelled so they will be manning the Eagle desks for their AM departures - not to mention we shouldn't have to drive to the airport.

Anyways, we call multiple times until voila - magic, "Let me call Alaska" and voila - magic, "They have 2 seats" and voila - magic "Here are two confirmation codes, your flight leaves at 7:50AM, thanks."

It is what should happen the first time, not the 5th or 6th call to play agent duck-duck-goose! Anyways, is this typical? Are we just expected to keep calling until we get an agent that cares and actually knows what the hey-ho they are doing?

It's frustrating to have such inconsistent CS and ones that just are plain lazy and unhelpful.

On the bright side we are rebooked and on a direct flight, so it did work out in the end. Still, the CS process, even for 2 premiers, is just abysmal and not the game we should have to play at 1am, or ever.
I had a similar experience with trying to book an Air Canada award segment that showed available on the UA award calendar. In this case the flight (and others at similar times on adjacent days) didn't show on a UA revenue flight search and agent said the flights didn't even exist. A call to AC confirmed that the both existed and had award seats. Back to UA three times and twice to the web support desk.....all said that they couldn't see the flights on their computers and thus couldn't book. Very frustrating..I notified customer care three days ago and so far nothing.
Old Sep 20, 2014, 7:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
At 1a PDT odds are the OP started with the HNL call center.
Old Sep 20, 2014, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by Kmxu
If you do, there's no guarantee UA will change either. I'm sure plenty of such complaints are filed.

The performance problems with phone agents have to do with (A) incompetence, (B) laziness or disinterest in complex tasks, and/or (C) time pressure to get you off the phone.

UA shows no interest in addressing A or B -- indeed, has exacerbated B via SHARES -- and is the cause of C.

You're very much at the mercy of individual employees here, which is why HUACA is the only tool at the customer's disposal. To the OP's original question: yeah, this is business as usual.
Old Sep 20, 2014, 12:50 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, HHonors Gold, Hertz Five Star Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis First
Originally Posted by BearX220
If you do, there's no guarantee UA will change either. I'm sure plenty of such complaints are filed.

The performance problems with phone agents have to do with (A) incompetence, (B) laziness or disinterest in complex tasks, and/or (C) time pressure to get you off the phone.

UA shows no interest in addressing A or B -- indeed, has exacerbated B via SHARES -- and is the cause of C.

You're very much at the mercy of individual employees here, which is why HUACA is the only tool at the customer's disposal. To the OP's original question: yeah, this is business as usual.
I agree w you but HUCA is getting old. I just had a situation this morning where they had a schedule change and I was willing to come back a day late since there were no viable options but they will not clear my upgrade where it was previously cleared. Next agent said of course you were cleared so we will confirm you no problem!
Old Sep 20, 2014, 1:03 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by denuaflier
I agree w you but HUCA is getting old. I just had a situation this morning where they had a schedule change and I was willing to come back a day late since there were no viable options but they will not clear my upgrade where it was previously cleared. Next agent said of course you were cleared so we will confirm you no problem!
So, will you expect the same in the future?

It was a nice gesture especially since the schedule change was out of your control but there is no policy that the upgrade is preserved.

This is the problem with gestures above and beyond because the customer grows to expect the gesture again (and uses HUCA). And if not offered there is a sense of dissatisfaction. There is something to be said for known consistency versus the roulette wheel of the "nice" vs "by the book" agent.

That said, glad to hear you got the good outcome.
Old Sep 20, 2014, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Agents are under pressure to complete calls quickly and also not reroute on OAL.

You asked for a task that would be lengthy in SHARES and hurts the OAL metric that they are now watching.

So, it is no surprise you have run into resistance.
Old Sep 20, 2014, 1:23 pm

Programs: UA MP 1K 2MM
change?

Originally Posted by Kmxu
I would have agreed with you a year or two ago when I still had some faith in the positive intentions of UA's management. But with the proposed buyout of experienced employees who cost too much, I suspect that the CS on UA is going to become even more pathetic. I feel real sadness for the UA veterans who are being shown the door. Co-workers? oh my

Flyer 420
In sunny Seattle
Old Sep 20, 2014, 1:27 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, HHonors Gold, Hertz Five Star Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis First
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
So, will you expect the same in the future?

It was a nice gesture especially since the schedule change was out of your control but there is no policy that the upgrade is preserved.

This is the problem with gestures above and beyond because the customer grows to expect the gesture again (and uses HUCA). And if not offered there is a sense of dissatisfaction. There is something to be said for known consistency versus the roulette wheel of the "nice" vs "by the book" agent.

That said, glad to hear you got the good outcome.
Good gesture is a two way street. I was willing to stay an extra day at my own dime because they did not have viable options on UA. At some point they have to look at the value of the customer and give some lattitude to agents.

I do agree w majority in here that agents are under pressure. They already lost HVF who had easy choices. At this rate, they will loose the next tier (not HVF but MVF) like me who don't have as convenient a schedule options w DL / AA but are in 18-20 cpm range.
Old Sep 20, 2014, 3:55 pm
O62
Original Poster

Originally Posted by channa
Agents are under pressure to complete calls quickly and also not reroute on OAL.

You asked for a task that would be lengthy in SHARES and hurts the OAL metric that they are now watching.

So, it is no surprise you have run into resistance.
Indeed, and it would be one thing if there were decent UA options, but the best they could do on UA/UAX metal was arriving at 6:40pm vs. 9:10am originally! The AS flight got me in there at the exact same arrival time.
Old Sep 20, 2014, 7:49 pm

Unhappy

Originally Posted by denuaflier
At some point they have to look at the value of the customer and give some lattitude to agents.
Want to wager on that?
Old Sep 20, 2014, 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by KansasMike
Want to wager on that?
I agree that won't happen
I am just hoping

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.