Newsmax as default channel on DTV

Old Sep 19, 2014, 8:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, DL Plat,Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott PP, National EE,Hertz PC
Newsmax as default channel on DTV

Have noticed a recent trend on the DTV ex-CO planes where the default channel during the week now defaults to Newsmax TV, which offers a take on news with an admitted "conservative bias."

Strikes me as something that is not broadly appropriate to default to (just like Fox News or msnbc would also seem to offend a significant portion of the population)...

Realize that it's a minor issue, but given that UA monitors these boards, they may want to change the default to something less controversial (like CNBC, which used to be the default)
Old Sep 19, 2014, 8:59 am

Originally Posted by pagotto
Have noticed a recent trend on the DTV ex-CO planes where the default channel during the week now defaults to Newsmax TV, which offers a take on news with an admitted "conservative bias."

Strikes me as something that is not broadly appropriate to default to (just like Fox News or msnbc would also seem to offend a significant portion of the population)...

Realize that it's a minor issue, but given that UA monitors these boards, they may want to change the default to something less controversial (like CNBC, which used to be the default)
Add it to the list

All seriousness though, I would have never noticed nor cared until you bought it up, but in this situation and given this, then I would complain about why they pick CNBC as I think it does lean one way more than the other....can't make us all happy.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Remember also that DTV owns the system, and we don't know what's in the contract that CO signed. UA may not have a say in the default channel.

For all we know, the default channel goes to whomever pays DTV the most.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 9:09 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Newsmax has a TV channel? Ick.

I don't know that I'd read much into this, though. I suspect it's more akin to what channa suggested: DTV runs the show, so to speak, and for whatever reason, they're defaulting to Newsmax.

I have plenty of other questions about the DTV systems, though, like why it's so hard to turn it off (you have to dim the screen completely), and why even once you've done so, it comes back on during the flight seemingly at random.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by exerda
I have plenty of other questions about the DTV systems, though, like why it's so hard to turn it off (you have to dim the screen completely)
That has to be deliberate -- likely a function of the arrangement again. They want the system on to flash ads at you and get you to buy or subscribe.

You'll notice on AVOD systems and other TV systems that are not paid for by the provider, there is always an intuitive off button that requires a single push.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 10:13 am

I saw that once a couple weeks ago. Thought it was odd and chalked it up to a rogue flight attendant.

Interesting it's more often. I wonder if they paid to make it the default?
Old Sep 19, 2014, 10:17 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz 5-star, Marriott Gold
Calling Newsmax news is a bit like calling all of United's changes to Mileageplus "enhancements".
Old Sep 19, 2014, 10:25 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by pagotto
Have noticed a recent trend on the DTV ex-CO planes
Out of curiosity, did pmUA have DirecTV on any aircraft?
Old Sep 19, 2014, 10:26 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
Out of curiosity, did pmUA have DirecTV on any aircraft?
no
Old Sep 19, 2014, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
I saw that once a couple weeks ago. Thought it was odd and chalked it up to a rogue flight attendant.
I don't think the FA has any such control. You can see the controls up front right by the FA jumpseat as you board. There are very few controls. Off the top of my head, something like system on, reset, safety video, and free.

They can't really tune in a special channel and blast it to the plane, as far as I know. The system is programmed the way it is.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
Thought it was odd and chalked it up to a rogue flight attendant.
How would a flight attendant be able to control / configure the programming lineup?

This is just a highest-bidder thing I'm sure.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 10:34 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Sure it's the highest bidder. Surprised not Disney or similar
Old Sep 19, 2014, 10:46 am

Programs: UA - 1MM, DL Diamond, AS MVP75, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
I have noticed it as well on several recent flights. I Just assumed newsmax paid United to be the default channel.

Pretty bad though...you would think United wouldn't completely sell its soul for a few pennies.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 10:47 am

Programs: Star, Oneworld, Skymiles, SPG
Originally Posted by exerda
I have plenty of other questions about the DTV systems, though, like why it's so hard to turn it off (you have to dim the screen completely), and why even once you've done so, it comes back on during the flight seemingly at random.
What I find most amazing is how the vast majority of pax never ask how to turn it off, even in red-eye flights where it is most annoying. People nowadays on aircraft seem to have become zombies who never question what is happening no matter how miserable it gets. It's as if the airlines have beaten us down to the point that "as long as the plane doesn't crash into a firey ball of flame", then it was a good flight.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 10:47 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Finally, a change I like!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.