Wiki Posts
Search

New Baggage Rules Published 9-18

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2014, 1:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k, Marriott LT Titanium, '20 Ambassador
New Baggage Rules Published 9-18

I just happened to notice the alert on UA.com while waiting a couple minutes for my check in window to open. Looks like they quietly changed something around baggage rules today, but I can't tell immediately what it is:

https://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/tra...72-6774-1-4884

Last edited by JonasCLT; Sep 18, 2014 at 1:34 pm Reason: add hyperlink
Old Sep 18, 2014, 1:50 pm

Programs: MP - 1K, Hyatt - Platt, SPG - Gold
Dont know the change, but seriously, do people really fly with Antlers?

see "Items with extra handling charges"

https://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/travel/Pages/ChangedBagRulesOptionalServices.aspx?v_ctrk=HHLN$0-772-6774-1-4884
Old Sep 18, 2014, 2:02 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM / AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by nyr2299

https://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/travel/Pages/ChangedBagRulesOptionalServices.aspx?v_ctrk=HHLN$0-772-6774-1-4884
On Alaska Airlines, they do.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 2:11 pm

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by nyr2299

Very common to see on the RUD-OLF segment in Norway
Old Sep 18, 2014, 2:14 pm
QBK

Programs: UA 1K-MM + UC, Marriott Plat, National Exec
Originally Posted by amartin1979
On Alaska Airlines, they do.
Yep. And since United serves Anchorage year-round, and Fairbanks seasonally, this is a fairly significant thing. In September, you can see quite a few moose racks going down the checked baggage belt behind the counter at FAI.

Alaska generally induces a lot of checked-bag issues that most people don't expect. One of my regular forms of entertainment when flying out of FAI used to be hanging out near the checkin counter and watching the collisions between (a) hairy burly people who were worried that their ammo boxes would be overweight, and (b) normal [non-Alaskan] people who were horrified to find out that checking 100 lbs of live ammunition (on their flight) is completely legal.

I mean... how else are you going to get your ammo from Point A to Point B? Doesn't everybody travel with ammo?

Originally Posted by LaserSailor
Very common to see on the RUD-OLF segment in Norway
I see what you did there.

And one time, when I was flying PHO - NEY...

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 18, 2014 at 2:29 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts from the same member
Old Sep 18, 2014, 2:26 pm

Programs: UA 1.6MM
Originally Posted by QBK
I mean... how else are you going to get your ammo from Point A to Point B? Doesn't everybody travel with ammo?
Post of the week. ^
Old Sep 18, 2014, 2:27 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
The thread is drifting a bit -- the original question was about New Baggage rules 9-18. Let's return to it.

The antler issue, while amusing to visualize, is OT and not really UA specific. Further posts will be deleted. If someone wishes to further continue the antler issue, please open a separate thread and probably not in the UA forum.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Old Sep 18, 2014, 3:01 pm

For this page: https://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/tra...ageExcess.aspx
This paragraph has been removed:
"All other customers traveling within the U.S., or between the U.S. and Canada, Puerto Rico, or the U.S. Virgin Islands, with checked baggage weighing more than 50 pounds (23 kg) and not exceeding 70 pounds (32 kg), will be charged at the rate of $100 per piece. Bags exceeding 70 pounds (32 kg), but less than 100 pounds (45 kg) will be charged $200 per piece.

Customers traveling to Mexico, the Caribbean, Central America and South America (except Brazil) with checked baggage weighing more than 50 pounds (23 kg), but not exceeding 70 pounds (32 kg) will be charged at the rate of $200 per piece. For bags exceeding 70 pounds (32 kg), but less than 100 pounds (45 kg), the rate charged will be $400 per piece. Brazil is subject to charges for baggage exceeding 70 pounds (32 kg).

These charges are in addition to any charge assessed for additional or oversized baggage. Baggage weighing 100 pounds (45 kg) or more will not be accepted as checked baggage.

Note: Baggage checked to Lima, Peru, is limited to 70 pounds (32 kg) per piece."
Has been replaced with:
Customers who travel with checked baggage exceeding 70 pounds (32 kg) will be required to pay a service charge per bag or item, based on the itinerary. To determine service charges for overweight bags for your trip, use our baggage calculator, and after your results are displayed, check the box for "Additional and other bag charges."

For a list of cities with a weight embargo, please see the Excess Baggage Embargo page.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Hmmm, haven't dug into it, but...

I have OGG-HNL-NRT-SIN r.t. in February. Outbound shows 1 50lb bag for free, 2nd at $100. Check-in is w/ Haw'n, so I wonder if UA's finally convinced Haw'n to give a free bag on UA-issued itineries? Haven't checked in w/ Hawaiian to HNL connecting to a UA flight for a while, but HA's been collecting baggage fees in the past, UA Premier or not.

Return from SIN check-in is w/ UA and I get the usual 3 70-lb bags (not that I'll be lugging that much luggage).
Old Sep 18, 2014, 3:07 pm

The Excess Baggage Embargo list page also changed, but only to reflect the seasonal Nov 15,2014 - Jan 15 2015 dates. The cities and amounts have not changed.
https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...e/embargo.aspx

The https://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/tra...lServices.aspx page has been updated to reflect:
1. Less codeshare partner links
2. An increase to $150 minimum on the special handling stuff (antlers...).
3. Clarified WiFi to be per flight or per hour.

Last edited by Kingston; Sep 18, 2014 at 3:16 pm
Old Sep 19, 2014, 6:11 am

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Hmmm, haven't dug into it, but...

I have OGG-HNL-NRT-SIN r.t. in February. Outbound shows 1 50lb bag for free, 2nd at $100. Check-in is w/ Haw'n, so I wonder if UA's finally convinced Haw'n to give a free bag on UA-issued itineries? Haven't checked in w/ Hawaiian to HNL connecting to a UA flight for a while, but HA's been collecting baggage fees in the past, UA Premier or not.

Return from SIN check-in is w/ UA and I get the usual 3 70-lb bags (not that I'll be lugging that much luggage).
I was charged on Hawaiian in July as a 1K connecting from KOA to a UA mainland flight out of HNL even though the itinerary showed otherwise as above. So I wouldn't count on it. I do have AMEX Platinum with my airline credit on Hawaiian so the $60 bag charge for 2 bags was refunded however.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.