Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Be careful when SDCing on which day is offered

Be careful when SDCing on which day is offered

Old Sep 17, 2014, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by bajrbajr
It's been a year or two since I used DL SDC as I am no longer elite with them... but then you could only call within 3 hours of the new flight and be within 24 hours of the original flight. Every time I tried my fare bucket was not available. Is the DL policy different now?

Yes. It's as I described above.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 11:59 am

Programs: UA1K
Originally Posted by andryas
Well, this has nothing to do with the app. The next day 10.30 am departure option will not show up at 7.00 am today.
agreed. you need to pay attention to what the flight time/date actually is. not an app issue.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 12:05 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
I've had this happen before!

Yes, user error, but it would be nice if UNITED could help add more clarity.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mrswirl

I don't fault UA for offering a generous SDC policy but the mobile app is confusing and can trip you up if you're not careful.
Do you mean, it can trip you up if you're not looking at the details of the flight you are switching to?
Old Sep 17, 2014, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by mduell
No; I know how you can view available alternate flights within 24h of your original scheduled flight and 24h of the alternate flights....
I may be being a bit picky here, but you can actually view potential alternate flights that depart > 24 hours from your search, but there will be a change fee associated with them, which disappears once you hit T-24 relative to those flights. In many cases there will be a fare difference as well prior to T-24, which also tends to disappear once the fare buckets are opened up.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by haddon90
agreed. you need to pay attention to what the flight time/date actually is. not an app issue.
Yeah, but it's "heads up" postings like this that I appreciate and might save me some hassle now that it's in the back of my mind. I've actually made a mistake before. Can't remember when....
Old Sep 17, 2014, 12:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA PP, AA, DL, BA, CX, SPG, HHonors
I don't know if it's still true today, but a rep told me that virtually all buckets open at roughly T-3.5hr

but of course it the flight is already at F0 Y2 at T-24 then this might not hold true.

After the whole PQD and MileagePlus2015 thing, SDC is probably one of the rare few gems left in the program.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 12:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA PP, AA, DL, BA, CX, SPG, HHonors
I've noticed that the mobile app refuses to offer SDC if the itinerary involves ZFV (Amtrak to Philly). Anyone else see the same issue ?
Old Sep 17, 2014, 12:43 pm

Programs: *
Originally Posted by channa
That is more generous than CO's policy.
CO is not an airline. Or will you also refer to DL's SDC as NW policy?
Old Sep 17, 2014, 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by haddon90
If a large number of people have either made or nearly made the same mistake, it's certainly an app issue - just one of design, not function. Making it clearer that you're changing date as well as time would be a perfectly reasonable thing to do.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by 787fan
After the whole PQD and MileagePlus2015 thing, SDC is probably one of the rare few gems left in the program.
Agreed, the main reason why I still stay with UA. If this benefit goes away, I'll be over at AA in a heartbeat as this continued to remain a major competitive advantage for UA. The part about this, I can't see this costing UA much money - they have an open seat, which may fly empty anyways and it's not like I'm truly stealing a seat as by taking a different flight means I open up inventory on my own flight. My initial flights most of the time are already completely full, so it actually helps them.

On the initial note though, I can see what OP is saying; however, to me, it is pretty clear on what the date is if you look at the selection - it clearly states Wednesday, September 17 or Thursday, September 18th. You then have to click confirm anything - how is this any different from booking a normal reservation?
Old Sep 17, 2014, 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by fastfxr
(Now the whoever-in-the-he77-calls-in desk.)
I call them all the time and never had an issue (knock on wood). Better luck with your next call.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 2:17 pm

I've very nearly made this mistake myself. Some red text or something might help.

More generally: Friends, there is an entire thread for more general SDC issues: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-wikipost.html

Originally Posted by Bonehead
I may be being a bit picky here, but you can actually view potential alternate flights that depart > 24 hours from your search, but there will be a change fee associated with them, which disappears once you hit T-24 relative to those flights. In many cases there will be a fare difference as well prior to T-24, which also tends to disappear once the fare buckets are opened up.
Nope, no viewing SDC-ineligible flights on the app. In fact, with the loss about a year ago of SDC via the change flights tool, there is currently nowhere you can view SDC and regular change options together.

Originally Posted by 787fan
I've noticed that the mobile app refuses to offer SDC if the itinerary involves ZFV (Amtrak to Philly). Anyone else see the same issue ?
It's a known issue - and, in point of fact, though an agent will often be willing to fiddle with the United segments for you, the entire itinerary is technically ineligible.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines
Trying to get a different flight for tomorrow. Right now the app is only showing two available flights to switch for $0 but they are for today. None yet for tomorrow. Hopefully that 11.23 am non stop opens up later.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 4:51 pm

Programs: UA1K
Originally Posted by mjg59
If a large number of people have either made or nearly made the same mistake, it's certainly an app issue - just one of design, not function. Making it clearer that you're changing date as well as time would be a perfectly reasonable thing to do.
the flight info clearly states what day the flight leaves when you are using SDC.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.