Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Lie Flat flights BOS-West Coast (LAX/SFO)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lie Flat flights BOS-West Coast (LAX/SFO)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2014, 4:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
I'm happy to see this... I have always wondered why UA would stick with just JFK-LAX/SFO for these P.S. routes... JFK is not a hub airport, and not convenient for my travels typically. I would definitely appreciate seeing UA beef up a fleet of aircraft as P.S. and fly many of the EWR/IAD-SFO/LAX as well. I can't imagine that it would be so difficult to dedicate some additional aircraft to those routes as well. I'm going to be flying these quite a bit in the coming months, and 6 hour flights would be so much nicer with lie-flat seats (I don't even care about the rest of the P.S. experience)....
Old Nov 12, 2014, 5:39 pm

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
Noticed this myself, great offering with flat bed seats in F, Wifi and AVOD nose to tail.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 6:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Don't expect to see p.s. or anything approaching it anytime in the next 3-5 years on TCONs to BOS, IAD or EWR (the latter two being hubs).

1. No competition. Neither AA nor DL offer their premium service other than xJFK.
2. Likely no market for paid F other than LAX (movie industry) and SFO (private equity + tech sector).

Bear in mind that there are no CPU's on p.s., so you either burn a lot of certs or miles if you are a regular. And, if you're not a regular, F is F is F.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 11:37 am

Programs: United 1P. 880k lifetime miles, all on my own dime.
I'm flying this route on Friday and seat map still shows P.S. config. Any trip reports out there that confirm the actual aircraft type used the last few days?

Thanks in advance.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 11:45 am

Originally Posted by ORDSteve
I'm flying this route on Friday and seat map still shows P.S. config. Any trip reports out there that confirm the actual aircraft type used the last few days?

Thanks in advance.
Yesterday: PS configuration tail #5598
Today: PS configuration tail #5598
Tomorrow: PS configuration tail #5598
Thursday: PS configuration tail #5687
Friday: PS configuration tail #5688

Looks like all this week the flight will be flown with the PS configuration.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 12:34 pm

Programs: United 1P. 880k lifetime miles, all on my own dime.
Wow, interesting. Not what I expected. Thanks.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 1:07 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Winds are making for tough sledding this week on a long 737 transcon. Nice upgrade for BOS pax.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 1:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Platinum, Alaksa MVP 75K, Air Berlin Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
Yesterday: PS configuration tail #5598
Today: PS configuration tail #5598
Tomorrow: PS configuration tail #5598
Thursday: PS configuration tail #5687
Friday: PS configuration tail #5688

Looks like all this week the flight will be flown with the PS configuration.
Didn't realize the p.s. schedule actually had that much slack on it to afford to lose an airframe (or two) for other long trans-con flights.

Is this due to the lack of 752s in the system due to fleet exits?
Old Nov 18, 2014, 1:49 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Fwiw, I flew two PS flights this past Saturday (Nov, 15) SFO-JFK-SFO and while chatting to both crews*, they mentioned that United was "trying out" PS configured aircraft BOS-LAX**

*if you can take what f/a's say as being accurate

**neither crew mentioned SFO, just LAX
Old Nov 18, 2014, 3:02 pm

Programs: UA1K
Originally Posted by goalie
Fwiw, I flew two PS flights this past Saturday (Nov, 15) SFO-JFK-SFO and while chatting to both crews*, they mentioned that United was "trying out" PS configured aircraft BOS-LAX**

*if you can take what f/a's say as being accurate

**neither crew mentioned SFO, just LAX
they should try out the fares too...
Old Nov 18, 2014, 8:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, IHG Plat
Flew BOS-LAX last week and was very pleased that the there wasn't a substitution back to normal config. I overheard check in staff expressing surprise that they were still getting a p.s. plane, so wonder how long this change will stick around or if any official rationale has been communicated. Certainly hope it holds
Old Nov 23, 2014, 5:24 pm

On tomorrow's flight (Mon 11/24) and when I booked, it showed the PS config and I used an RPU that cleared a few weeks ago. Was very happy, and it still was showing the PS layout a few days ago.

Just now when going to check in it seems back to the old config:

Old Nov 23, 2014, 7:02 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Originally Posted by ffoh
On tomorrow's flight (Mon 11/24) and when I booked, it showed the PS config and I used an RPU that cleared a few weeks ago. Was very happy, and it still was showing the PS layout a few days ago.

Just now when going to check in it seems back to the old config:

1E/F is no upgrade at all, worst seats on the plane. No chance to change it looks like, eek.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 8:39 pm

Ouch, yikes. Pray that someone will SDC.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 5:24 am

Thanks for the sympathy! Always am a fan of 1F on ps flights due to the larger footwell and earlier dibs on food choices; whenever there's a risk of an equipment swap, maybe I should now go with 5A/F...
That said, a positive update: checking again this morning shows it's back to a ps bird #5997. Hmm... Am not complaining, but hoping it holds up!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.