Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How often do your RPUs clear?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2014, 6:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Delta Plat, AA Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Courtesy Card
2/8 this year, may fall to 2/9 if I don't clear PHX-EWR this weekend (not looking good). Failed JFK-SFO 4x, JFK-LAX once, LAS-EWR 1x. I typically book last minute so don't frequently have ability to get R space at booking. When they offer paid upgrades for $299, hard to clear p.s. flights.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 6:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Life Plat, various others of little note
Originally Posted by CashN
It's apparent these GPUs and RPUs have been made completely worthless by Smisek and Co.

They don't clear on PS flights and in advanced mode I can't find a single non red eye flight to any reasonable business destination that has any open R seats between now and end of the year.

I'm looking at Nov and Dec flights with not a single seat sold yet still have zero availability for upgrades. Is this the norm? Where can I use them? I'm guessing HNL in the offseason, but I already hit 1K again and don't need vacation travel.

Some of the places I have been struck out this year when waitlisting a GPU/RPU:

SNA-ORD 8x
ORD-SNA 8X
LAX-ORD 3X
ORD-LAX 3X
DEN-ANC
ANC-DEN
SNA-IAH-FLL 2x
LAX-JFK PS
JFK-LAX PS (gave in and purchased for $319)
OGG-LAX
LAX-MCO 1X

So the days of UDU's are long over on any non-obscure business destination and GPUs/RPUs don't clear until 30 minutes after boarding on the odd chance they do clear.

I love the confidence you get when you put in one of these things and watch 12 non-booked seats (I say booked because most flights don't have R seats at all) disappear with the last 4 going 30 minutes before boarding to non-elites paying a couple hundred dollars.

Final thought, is it false advertising the way they describe them?

From UA

Here is what I believe would not be false advertising.
This surprises me for RPUs. For CPUs, sure, but I've had pretty good luck with RPUs (since you get a higher upgrade ranking).
Old Sep 17, 2014, 7:04 pm

2/2 on gifted RPUs this year, though YYZ-ORD-SEA aren't exactly segments in high demand on labor day
Old Sep 17, 2014, 7:07 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
I LOVE RPU's

In 2013 I cleared 14/14 RPU's which equaled 20 flight segments.

EWR-HNL-SFO-PDX
LAX-JFK (x6)
ORD-DEN-HNL-IAH-LGA
JFK-LAX (x5)
ROC-ORD-LAX

2014 is a bit slower, but 5/5 RPU's equal to 8 cleared flight segments.

ROC-IAD/ORD-LAX (x2)
LAX-ORD-ROC
LAX-JFK (x2)

I have 100% RPU clearance. I do clear at booking often, but I also watch for R availability frequently. Like WineCountry I tend to have some scheduling flexibility (on a given day) and book anywhere from 3 months to 3 weeks out. I've also had luck with mileage upgrades, but that is not the focus of this thread.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 7:12 pm

I've been successful on 3 out of 10 times I've tried so far this year
MCO - SFO
SFO - ORD
EWR - SEA

4 of the 7 failures came from ORD - SFO - ORD. 2 of 7 IAD - SFO. 1 of 7 ORD - SJU.

Still have 3 RPUs to use this year
Old Sep 17, 2014, 8:29 pm

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
I only have 1 failure this year, on a JFK-LAX p.s. Friday evening flight.

All my other domestics cleared using RPU, but I only fly ~10-12 domestic flights/year.

I still find value in them, although lack of domestic flying makes me gift them or they end up expiring.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 8:33 pm

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
As a GS I imagine you have a little more fortune.
That has zero to do with it. R space is R space in advance.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 8:34 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium.;UA 1.5MM; UA Lifetime Gold (whoppee); DL Plat
Did AA EXPLAT challenge...was 12/12 for upgrades w/o having to use any instruments.....RPU's seldom clear any more on UA...after 33 years, fed up and skeedaddled. (So I guess that's more ROU/GPU space for you all!

Tried 6 RPU's and 4 GPU's this year.....1 RPU and 0 GPU cleared.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 8:43 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ironmanjt
.... As a GS I imagine you have a little more fortune....
That has zero to do with it. R space is R space in advance.
GS has 100% to do with it -- GS clear into PN and PN>R.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 8:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS MM SPG Platinum (Lifetime Platinum)
Originally Posted by boss315
Did AA EXPLAT challenge...was 12/12 for upgrades w/o having to use any instruments.....RPU's seldom clear any more on UA...after 33 years, fed up and skeedaddled. (So I guess that's more ROU/GPU space for you all!

Tried 6 RPU's and 4 GPU's this year.....1 RPU and 0 GPU cleared.
Holding my breath for the next Explat challenge. I don't care that I'm on the home stretch of 1M. Mar 2012 and the devaluing of miles this year have made me feel like a 2P circa 2008
Old Sep 17, 2014, 9:14 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
As a GS I have cleared every RPU requested except 1, cleared on 11 of 12. The one missed was DCA-IAH, which historically has been a very tough route to upgrade on. Pre-merger I only cleared on this route on B and Y tickets when done in advance, never on discount economy. Now they don't even open space for B upgrades very often.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 11:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Boo_Radley
I've had an RPU not clear twice, SFO-ORD Thursday evening both times. FWIW, on one of the occasions, I called in after OLCI to have my RPU request removed. Refreshed flight status on UA.com, and my position in the UG list did not change.
The published priority rules suggest that instruments do not have priority on the standby list, although this has not been confirmed and there are other viewpoints on this issue.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 11:33 pm

Programs: UA Silver
They are not worthless to me. I easily used my 4 RPUs earned last year and this year, all on transcon flights: SFO-IAD (lie-flat 764), SFO-DCA (2x) and BOS-SFO.
I did fail to clear once, on EWR-SFO. That route IS impossible.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 2:23 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, Hyatt Plat
I cleared all my RPU's this year so far.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 2:37 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Life Plat, various others of little note
Originally Posted by Kacee
The published priority rules suggest that instruments do not have priority on the standby list, although this has not been confirmed and there are other viewpoints on this issue.
Not true, instruments, by premier status, then fare class then time, are ahead of all CPUs. From the website:

The following is the order of priority, within five days, on flights that are eligible for Complimentary Premier Upgrades:

Premier members on eligible Y- and B-class fares, as well as Premier 1K members on M-class fares: Instant upgrades that weren't confirmed in advance are sorted by fare class, then Premier status
All travelers on waitlisted Global Premier Upgrades, Regional Premier Upgrades and MileagePlus Upgrade Awards: Sorted by Premier status of the redeeming account, then fare class and then time of request
All remaining Premier members using Complimentary Premier Upgrades: Sorted by Premier status, then fare class and then award trav

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.