Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Who took my upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2014, 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by cmculp
There are reasons people not on the upgrade queue get seated (must fly first pax like the United CEO, paid F moving from another flight, dead head pilots, etc.)
SMI J doesn't always fly F just as an FYI. He was in Y on a flight back from EWR - ORD a little bit ago
Old Sep 15, 2014, 5:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Mileage Plus IK, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by iluv2fly
We won't tell you until we hear more of the story.
There appeared to be a male crew member working in business who was drooling over the attributes of a blonde male passenger in coach and the male crew member was explaining to a female crew member the attributes of the blonde male I heard this conversation as the female crew member was working next to my seat.

Originally Posted by DC777Fan
I'd scrub your name and PNR from the above post, along with perhaps any uncompleted travel specifics...
Many thanks the moderator did it for me ..I will remember next time

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 15, 2014 at 5:35 pm Reason: consecutive posts by same member
Old Sep 15, 2014, 5:36 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Antonio007
Is there an email for 1k voice on the website or will it be on the back of my 1k card ?
back of the card
Old Sep 15, 2014, 5:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
back of the card
Ok thank you for that ..will dig it out my wallet in the morning ..am on British time right now
Old Sep 15, 2014, 6:23 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Ok thank you for that ..will dig it out my wallet in the morning ..am on British time right now
Honestly, I would keep out of your initial inquiry what you think happened and stick to the facts. If you muck it up with what you think you saw or heard it will be more difficult to get a satisfactory response.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 6:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by anc-ord772
Honestly, I would keep out of your initial inquiry what you think happened and stick to the facts. If you muck it up with what you think you saw or heard it will be more difficult to get a satisfactory response.
Great advice. "My itinerary shows I was upgraded to BusinessFirst but I did not receive the upgrade and was instead seated in coach."
Old Sep 15, 2014, 6:53 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
Originally Posted by anc-ord772
Honestly, I would keep out of your initial inquiry what you think happened and stick to the facts.
+2
Old Sep 15, 2014, 8:50 pm

There appeared to be a male crew member working in business who was drooling over the attributes of a blonde male passenger in coach and the male crew member was explaining to a female crew member the attributes of the blonde male I heard this conversation as the female crew member was working next to my seat.
I figured thats what it was!
Old Sep 15, 2014, 9:16 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott LP, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by ironmanjay
I showed her the app and said there is one seat available in F that should be mine.
This is not a true statement just an assumption. I have been number one on a list a few times and a GS shows,up last minute and snags it, probably missed earlier connection so they pre booked him but does not show up on their reservation. Just because you are number one and a seat is empty doesn't mean it yours. Until Purser comes aboard they are waiting,for.aomeone. But no way that flight should take off with an empty seat either way.

On an EWR flight to SAN in June, F went out of the gate with about 10 empty seats maybe more and UPG list was long. Probably more than 10 seats but being conservative.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 6:28 am

Programs: ua-mm *G, hilton-gold
Originally Posted by SAPriorityTag
I figured thats what it was!
reading this makes me think of jerry Seinfeld realizing something and then saying newman.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 7:21 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Gold, Marriott Gold Elite
If it was in fact shenanigans with UA employees as some of you have suspected, what are they thinking? This is not CPU where there is a much greater chance passengers did not find out they were upgraded since no instrument/miles were used. This is GPU supported upgrade, do they think the passenger will not ask for the GPU back if not upgraded?
Old Sep 16, 2014, 10:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CAPT Tee
If it was in fact shenanigans with UA employees as some of you have suspected, what are they thinking? This is not CPU where there is a much greater chance passengers did not find out they were upgraded since no instrument/miles were used. This is GPU supported upgrade, do they think the passenger will not ask for the GPU back if not upgraded?
I agree with the above ..bad actions when a GPU is involved is more likely to get any wrong doers caught out .

I have sent off my request for a return of the GPU and downgrade compensation and asking them to investigate why it happened especially after being told I was not being upgraded at the time of boarding .

I will report back with the outcome .

Hahaha,

The reply has arrived that does nothing to shed any light on what actually happened.

Looks like they do not want to spill the beans or let anyone know what actually happened..

Maybe they do know and will deal with it internally

The official reply is below if anyone can suggest a way to follow this up I will do it .

If I was not to be upgraded and I was only upgraded at the very last minute how can this change and still show me as upgraded after the flight had flown. All suggestion of what to do next would be appreciated ..

Dear Mr. Xxxxx

Thank you for contacting the MileagePlus Service Center.
I am sorry to hear that you were unable to use an upgrade on your recent flight. Although upgrade seats may be available leading up to the departure date, there are circumstances on the day of departure and at the gate that change the availability of front cabin seats. This includes aircraft changes and last minute purchases.

I have redeposited the Global Premier Upgrade as requested and you can view the new balance online. Please log on to www.united.com and enter your MileagePlus account number and PIN or password in the MileagePlus Sign In area.

We appreciate your participation in the MileagePlus program and your support of United and our partners. We look forward to serving your travel needs again in the near future.

Regards,

[name removed, per FT Rule]
MileagePlus® Service Center

We appreciate your participation in the MileagePlus program and your support of United and our partners. We look forward to serving your travel needs again in the near future. For MileagePlus program information, please visit www.mileageplus.com.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Sep 16, 2014 at 5:48 pm Reason: Merge, plus violation of UA employee's privacy
Old Sep 16, 2014, 10:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I would expect nothing else from MPSC. They don't "investigate."

1kvoice might have provided a more satisfactory response (or not).
Old Sep 16, 2014, 10:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kacee
I would expect nothing else from MPSC. They don't "investigate."

1kvoice might have provided a more satisfactory response (or not).
I have emailed 1k voice also and the reason for persuing this is so that if it was bad behaviour then an investigation may stamp this out in the future
Old Sep 16, 2014, 11:54 am

Programs: Star, Oneworld, Skymiles, SPG
Originally Posted by ZZYZXROAD
On an EWR flight to SAN in June, F went out of the gate with about 10 empty seats maybe more and UPG list was long. Probably more than 10 seats but being conservative.
I would add some information about agent's in airports. Generally, agents bid for the station they wish to work in based on seniority. (As do F/A's)

Thus, stations such as SAN which are considered to be desirable places to live have very senior agents who have been with the airline 25 years and can work an oversold flight with an equipment downgrade with one hand tied behind their back without breaking a sweat.

Ever since Continental's merger with People Express, Newark has always been considered an undesirable hub to work in. It has a lot of employee turnover and most people who don't quit transfer out at the first opportunity. Consequently, EWR gets the least experienced agents and they make lots of mistakes.

It looks like in your case the GA simply forgot to clear the upgrades (something he has to initiate), and the flight went out with empty seats in First.

OP asks why UA doesn't fire the incompetent agents and it is because they make $10 per hour, live in a high cost area (New York), and quit their jobs so fast that EWR struggles just to keep itself fully staffed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.