Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Overnight, long layover/connection check through baggage question (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 18, 2016, 9:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
UA policy on connecting bags requiring recheck (updated wording Aug 2017 -- removed 13-hour rule, another update Fall 2018 restored 12-hour rule)
For a trip that includes one or more connection, we’ll check bags to the final destination on your ticket.You'll need to go to baggage claim and re-check your bags if:
  • You chose to have a layover
  • You make a connection that involves an overnight stay
  • Your connecting flight departs more than 12 hours after you arrive at the airport
  • You’re connecting to an itinerary booked on a separate ticket that doesn't include a Star Alliance™ partner airline
  • You’re traveling internationally and connecting to a domestic flight within your destination country
In practice. some have been able to avoid having to claim and re-check bags when on a long connection -- but if the agent insists, the agent is correctly implementing UA's written / published policy. See post https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31816944-post390.html for how an agent may be able to help you: They can retrieve a hand-written UA baggage tags that had "Reroute" and "VIP" printed on them (not handwritten) and add your information.
Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
Default time is 12 hours. A small number of individual stations are enabled to allow bags to be checked thru for connections greater than 12 hours. Maybe we can build a list based on people's experiences for certain connection points.

I know FCO is up to 16 hours. SIN, HND, FRA, MUC, ZRH, BRU should all allow up to 24 hours.

UA social media team (Twitter) wrote on August 16 (2017), "Any connection below 13 hours is always checked through to the final destination" in the context of being regardless of being an overnight connection or not.

related thread: UA Bag Interlining If Separate Tix with *A Partners (YES) & Non *A Partners (NO)
UA will not Short Check bags (but some loopholes)
Archive thread: Overnight, long layover/connection check through baggage question {Archive}
Print Wikipost

Overnight, long layover/connection check through baggage question (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2022, 12:14 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by threeoh
The policy of not (generally) permitting shortchecking is (probably) to thwart HCT.
So you're agreeing with me?
Old May 30, 2022, 12:21 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Originally Posted by RNE
Is the policy to help thwart hidden city ticketing?
No, this policy is the opposite of that. The short-checking policy may be there due to HCT.
Originally Posted by RNE
Originally Posted by threeoh
The policy of not (generally) permitting shortchecking is (probably) to thwart HCT.
So you're agreeing with me?
The policy discussed in this thread is not shortchecking,

The policy discussed in this thread is the blocking of checking-thru with a long connection. Has nothing to do with HCT.

It is the opposite of shortchecking. It is pretty likely the policy not allowing shortchecking (as subject of a different thread) is related to HCT.

Please use the shortchecking thread to discuss shortchecking
Old May 30, 2022, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
The policy discussed in this thread is the blocking of checking-thru with a long connection. Has nothing to do with HCT.

It is the opposite of shortchecking.
In other words, this thread is about forced, as opposed to voluntary, shortchecking.
Old May 31, 2022, 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by HkCaGu
Theft. Liability.
The total number of bag-hours from 12h-24h connections must be pretty minimal.

I could see this being a motivation for not wanting to store bags overnight, especially at smaller airports where there might not be United staff around overnight.

But it seems to me in general if you have the logistics set up to handle 7 and 8 hour connections you should be able to handle 15 and 16 hour connections without modification.
Old May 31, 2022, 7:32 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Just checked a planned itinerary and found that I would have a 12-hour, 3-min layover. Thank you, UA!
Old Jul 8, 2022, 2:01 pm

Programs: UA, AE
Checked baggage on a long layover. not checked through?

I am on TLV SFO SYD. Arrive in SFO at 6 am. Depart around 11 pm. Only got boarding pass for first leg and bags checked only to SFO. I expected to be able to check through. I could in the past. Is this a new policy?

Am i going to get stuck hauling my bags around all day in SFO?
Old Jul 8, 2022, 2:08 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by rawilliam
I am on TLV SFO SYD. Arrive in SFO at 6 am. Depart around 11 pm. Only got boarding pass for first leg and bags checked only to SFO. I expected to be able to check through. I could in the past. Is this a new policy?

Am i going to get stuck hauling my bags around all day in SFO?
Yes, the policy for years is more 12 hours layover, bags are not checked thru. The computer blocks it,
Old Jul 8, 2022, 2:12 pm

Thanks. Good to know.
Old Jul 8, 2022, 2:37 pm

There is a bag storage facility at SFO, in the international terminal, not cheap. $20-40 per bag per day
Or rent a car for the day and stow the bags in the trunk.
Old Aug 13, 2022, 9:24 pm

Maximum connection time for baggage to connect through

Canada to US. Connection in US. Want a maximum connection time at connections out and in bound. Want my bags to be checked through.

So, what is the maximum connection time that I can have? 4 hours? 12 hours? Other?
Old Aug 13, 2022, 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by rawilliam
Canada to US. Connection in US. Want a maximum connection time at connections out and in bound. Want my bags to be checked through.

So, what is the maximum connection time that I can have? 4 hours? 12 hours? Other?
12 hours or overnight

But a >4 hour connection will create a stop and may impact the fare.
Old Sep 15, 2022, 9:28 am

Programs: aa
Will I have to re-check bags during 8 hour layover?

Due to some schedule changes, my MCI-ORD flight now arrives 8 hours before my ORD-FRA flight departs. It's though ticketed on one PNR. Will that 8 hour layover cause me to have to retrieve my bags at ORD and hold on to them until T-4 and re-check them ?

I didn't even think about having to do this until last week when a similar thing happened on my MCI-JFK-CPH trip on DL and the agent told me he couldn't tag the bags all the way to CPH because of the 8 hour layover in JFK.

Thanks for the help!
Old Sep 15, 2022, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
No. They will be through checked.
-RM
travelinterpreters likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2022, 6:55 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus
Help with DEL

Ok so I think I know the answer here but need some of the well versed United folks to clear this one up. I am flying IAH-ORD-DEL-KTM all booked together at one time via United on points with the flights to Delhi all on United metal and then I switch to AI for the DEL-KTM leg. My question is around Delhi in that I arrive at 9:25PM and don’t leave until 7:00AM the next morning so an approximate 9+ hour layover. As I understand it the layover time would not trigger me needing to retrieve my checked luggage in Delhi but the fact that the layover is overnight will trigger it. Therefore in this situation my bags will be offloaded in Delhi, I will have to clear immigration, retrieve my bags and re-check them when check in opens 4 hours before the flight. Is this correct? Thanks
Old Nov 10, 2022, 7:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Do you have the visa-passport-etc to enter India?
Or need - not need that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.