Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Overnight, long layover/connection check through baggage question (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 18, 2016, 9:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
UA policy on connecting bags requiring recheck (updated wording Aug 2017 -- removed 13-hour rule, another update Fall 2018 restored 12-hour rule)
For a trip that includes one or more connection, we’ll check bags to the final destination on your ticket.You'll need to go to baggage claim and re-check your bags if:
  • You chose to have a layover
  • You make a connection that involves an overnight stay
  • Your connecting flight departs more than 12 hours after you arrive at the airport
  • You’re connecting to an itinerary booked on a separate ticket that doesn't include a Star Alliance™ partner airline
  • You’re traveling internationally and connecting to a domestic flight within your destination country
In practice. some have been able to avoid having to claim and re-check bags when on a long connection -- but if the agent insists, the agent is correctly implementing UA's written / published policy. See post https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31816944-post390.html for how an agent may be able to help you: They can retrieve a hand-written UA baggage tags that had "Reroute" and "VIP" printed on them (not handwritten) and add your information.
Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
Default time is 12 hours. A small number of individual stations are enabled to allow bags to be checked thru for connections greater than 12 hours. Maybe we can build a list based on people's experiences for certain connection points.

I know FCO is up to 16 hours. SIN, HND, FRA, MUC, ZRH, BRU should all allow up to 24 hours.

UA social media team (Twitter) wrote on August 16 (2017), "Any connection below 13 hours is always checked through to the final destination" in the context of being regardless of being an overnight connection or not.

related thread: UA Bag Interlining If Separate Tix with *A Partners (YES) & Non *A Partners (NO)
UA will not Short Check bags (but some loopholes)
Archive thread: Overnight, long layover/connection check through baggage question {Archive}
Print Wikipost

Overnight, long layover/connection check through baggage question (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2022, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by bebouchard
Claim bags and then re-check at GUM for next-day flight to Saipan?

In late June I will have a 10-hour, overnight layover in GUM on my way to Saipan. I'm trying to decide whether I should get a hotel for the night, and knowing what will happen with my luggage will help me make this decision.

I'll arrive from NRT at 9:55 PM and fly out to Saipan at 8:00 AM the next morning. I am already aware that I will have to claim my bags in GUM for customs processing, BUT, I would really like to know whether I will be able to re-check them to SPN right away (i.e. check in for my next flight and hang out airside all night), or whether I will have to hang on to them until the check-in counter opens at around 5:00 AM. If it's the former, I will just bide my time at the airport--although I do wish the United Club were open--but if I have to babysit my bags all night, I would rather just go to a hotel. What are your thoughts?
The first thing to be aware of is that, while Guam and the CNMI (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands) (main islands: Saipan, SPN; Tinian, TIQ; and Rota, ROP) are both under U.S. immigration, with CBP officials at the points of entry, they both control their own customs.

I took the same flights you are on when I moved back to Saipan in April 2021. Unfortunately, the Covid situation was stricter then, so we did not have the option to leave the airport.

Back then, connecting NRT-GUM-SPN we did not pick up our bags. They were checked all the way through to our final destination.

We did clear U.S. immigration with CBP, but then instead of clearing Guam customs, those of us in transit were directed back airside.

I have a high physical tolerance of minimal creature comforts (former Eagle Scout), my wife had brought two roll-up camping mattress pads, and the airport was quite empty, so we got some sleep fairly easily, as we had flown from the U.S. mainland and were tired.

Last month, flying SPN-GUM-MNL, with an 8-hour (daytime) layover, the same procedure applied. No pickup of bags on Guam. We also stayed in the airport, because of Philippine Covid requirements.

What I recommend is that you check your bags as normal, paying attention to the routing on the bag tags. If they conclude NRT-GUM-SPN, it seems pretty safe they will be sent all the way to your final destination.

If you do decide to leave for nearby "Hotel Row" on Tumon Bay, make sure you have what you need in your carry-on bag. At Guam Customs, you will not need to declare anything you are not bringing into the Territory of Guam, because it is being sent to the CNMI.

For people in transit, it would be pointless to have everyone lugging around checked-in luggage airside.

Wherever you do it, I hope you get some good sleep. And welcome to Saipan, my home for over two decades.

🌴 🎶 🍺 💚 🤠 🇲🇵 🇺🇲 🙏
Old Apr 28, 2022, 9:38 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
... Last month, flying SPN-GUM-MNL, with an 8-hour (daytime) layover, the same procedure applied. No pickup of bags on Guam. ...
That followed UA policy, as not an overnight and less then 12 hours, the UA policy is to check-thru bags

As far as NRT-GUM-SPN with overnight in GUM, there may be a override of the general policy due to local conditions (or number of transit passengers?), but agree best to verify with check-in agent.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 28, 2022 at 9:45 am Reason: rephrased
Old May 2, 2022, 11:56 pm

Programs: UA GS, MR TE, HH Diamond, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, National EE, Avis PC
Originally Posted by pigzilla
Thanks all! I will try my luck and report back on what happened. I will have to handle this at the 1K checkin area at EWR unfortunately, not the GS lobby (we have the 6:30am SFO flight and GS lobby wont be open when we arrive to check in).
My update, as promised. I was not allowed to check my bags in all the way at EWR (in GS lobby) and had to pick up the bags in SFO due to the 12 hour rule. Took bags to SFO GS lobby about 12 hours before the departure that night and initially they said it was too early to check the bags in but then I asked if they could make an exception. They were able to get it done and took our 3 suitcases, so I didn't have to lug those around for the entire day.
SPN Lifer and 747FC like this.
Old May 3, 2022, 7:56 am
RNE

Originally Posted by pigzilla
My update, as promised. I was not allowed to check my bags in all the way at EWR (in GS lobby) and had to pick up the bags in SFO due to the 12 hour rule. Took bags to SFO GS lobby about 12 hours before the departure that night and initially they said it was too early to check the bags in but then I asked if they could make an exception. They were able to get it done and took our 3 suitcases, so I didn't have to lug those around for the entire day.
Bravo. Never hurts to ask.
Global321 and pigzilla like this.
Old May 20, 2022, 6:22 pm

Experts -

I have a UA flight, IAD to FRA, landing at 7am, just over 13 hour layover (daytime), then continuing to Asia in the evening on *A partner, same day as arrival. One ticket.

I want my bag in Frankfurt mostly because having it sit in the airport doesn't seem like a good idea.
It seems like the UA rule should be to automatically only check the bag to FRA and "force" me to pick it up there. However, seems like at least one person above had a bag pushed through.

Has anyone had an agent try and force it through to the final destination?

Thanks!
Old May 20, 2022, 7:08 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Global321
... I have a UA flight, IAD to FRA, landing at 7am, just over 13 hour layover (daytime), then continuing to Asia in the evening on *A partner, same day as arrival. One ticket.

I want my bag in Frankfurt mostly because having it sit in the airport doesn't seem like a good idea.
It seems like the UA rule should be to automatically only check the bag to FRA and "force" me to pick it up there. However, seems like at least one person above had a bag pushed through.

Published policy is overnight or longer then 12 hours, and you have to pick up your bags. Agents might be willing to check-thru (thinking they are doing you a favor) but mentioning you want a shortcheck at FRA should be no problem,
Global321 likes this.
Old May 27, 2022, 12:42 pm

Personally I wouldn't worry about this - FRA luggage handling seems pretty reliable. I usually don't check bags but might in this case just to be free of the bag for the long connection.

If you're worried about it, maybe try the automated bag check station first? If the computer prints FRA tags automatically (which it should per the rule), then you don't have to worry about a "helpful" agent through-checking it to Asia for you.
Old May 28, 2022, 2:40 am

Experts -

I have a UA flight, IAD to FRA, landing at 7am, just over 13 hour layover (daytime), then continuing to Asia in the evening on *A partner, same day as arrival. One ticket.

Thanks!
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Published policy is overnight or longer then 12 hours, and you have to pick up your bags. Agents might be willing to check-thru (thinking they are doing you a favor) but mentioning you want a shortcheck at FRA should be no problem,
Originally Posted by threeoh
Personally I wouldn't worry about this - FRA luggage handling seems pretty reliable. I usually don't check bags but might in this case just to be free of the bag for the long connection.

If you're worried about it, maybe try the automated bag check station first? If the computer prints FRA tags automatically (which it should per the rule), then you don't have to worry about a "helpful" agent through-checking it to Asia for you.
Quick update - Computer wanted to check it through. Agent tried and tried but could not get it to stop in FRA. Finally had to call support and 30 minutes later got it to only go to FRA.

All good in the end.
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old May 28, 2022, 10:39 am

Quick update - Computer wanted to check it through. Agent tried and tried but could not get it to stop in FRA. Finally had to call support and 30 minutes later got it to only go to FRA.

All good in the end.
Thanks for the update -- odd the difference in written policy and actuality. UA has varied the rule over the years for the daytime threshold, appears the computer has its own rules.

What was the actual time difference from scheduled arrival to scheduled departure?
Old May 28, 2022, 11:33 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Thanks for the update -- odd the difference in written policy and actuality. UA has varied the rule over the years for the daytime threshold, appears the computer has its own rules.

What was the actual time difference from scheduled arrival to scheduled departure?
I don’t think it is odd, except if one thinks that UA agents won’t try helping a customer. As I’ve shown upthread and in the Wiki, some agents will find ways to help.
Old May 29, 2022, 7:14 am

13 hours 10 minutes. United to Thai.

Originally Posted by 747FC
I don’t think it is odd, except if one thinks that UA agents won’t try helping a customer. As I’ve shown upthread and in the Wiki, some agents will find ways to help.
I think the odd part is the policy says you cannot check the bag all the way, but the computer was forcing it. (The agent I was dealing with was very helpful, even though he did not know how to short check it. PBI, so doubt this comes up much.)
Old May 29, 2022, 10:04 am
RNE

Is the policy to help thwart hidden city ticketing?
Old May 29, 2022, 11:21 am

Originally Posted by RNE
Is the policy to help thwart hidden city ticketing?
No, this policy is the opposite of that. The short-checking policy may be there due to HCT.
Old May 30, 2022, 8:55 am

The policy of not (generally) permitting shortchecking is (probably) to thwart HCT.

I'm not sure why United (generally) forces you to claim bags with a 12h-24h connection. It seems to me the total number of bags that would be low so the storage burden would be minimal, the time is bounded (24h maximum permitted connection on most itins), and not having to deal with bags on connections is one of the main advantages of checking bags imo.
Old May 30, 2022, 11:26 am

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Originally Posted by threeoh
I'm not sure why United (generally) forces you to claim bags with a 12h-24h connection
Theft. Liability.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.