Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

FA Using a Sleeping Passenger's Seat Outlet to Charge Phone

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2014, 2:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS (1MM), DL Gold, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Avis CC

Saw a rather interesting thing on a recent 2-class configured 767-300 flight in BF. Passenger in 1D (the first middle seat) slept for most of the flight. What caught my eye was that while she slept, an FA came up and plugged her personal cellphone into the outlet at the seat. Since it's the old CO BF type seats, the outlet is up and behind the passenger (which IMHO is terrible placement, but that's for another time), the FA just came up and quietly plugged her device in that outlet and left it in the little storage area for a few hours. When the passenger began rousing from sleep, the FA very quickly came up and from behind quietly unplugged her phone without the sleepy pax ever knowing what happened.

The service on the flight was excellent, so I can't really fault the crew. And yes, the sleeping pax never knew what transpired. I just thought it was very odd that the FA used a passenger's seat amenities like that. What if the pax woke up and the FA wasn't there to notice, turns around and finds a strange phone plugged into her outlet? What do you guys think?

I by no means plan to report anything because its not a big deal. Just found the situation very odd.
Old Sep 13, 2014, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Very odd, and probably not the best idea for the FA to do.

But ideally, the crew should have their own power ports. This is a newly refurbished plane, are there not power ports in the galley for crew to recharge their own devices?
Old Sep 13, 2014, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Perhaps it was a friend or non-rev passenger?

Very poor form if not.
Old Sep 13, 2014, 3:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS (1MM), DL Gold, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Avis CC
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
Perhaps it was a friend or non-rev passenger?

Very poor form if not.
I can't imagine it was a friend because as soon as the pax started waking up, the FA was like a ninja sneaking from behind to retrieve it. Funny situation either way.
Old Sep 13, 2014, 3:13 pm

If I wasn't using it I wouldn't care one bit if a FA or even a coach passenger charged their phone. As long as they didn't steal my stuff while I slept I would consider it a win.
Old Sep 13, 2014, 3:48 pm

Programs: UA MP Gold, 1MM, Global Entry
Originally Posted by uthornsgo
If I wasn't using it I wouldn't care one bit if a FA or even a coach passenger charged their phone. As long as they didn't steal my stuff while I slept I would consider it a win.
+1
Might I find it unusual - yes, but I wouldn't be bothered. And if I awoke and needed the outlet, I would just unplug the device and figure someone would stop by to get it at some point, not knowing who it belonged to I might assume the passenger behind me needed 2 outlets and nicely didn't wake me to ask permission!
Old Sep 13, 2014, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by channa
But ideally, the crew should have their own power ports. This is a newly refurbished plane, are there not power ports in the galley for crew to recharge their own devices?
I think the galley AC power ports are 110V 400Hz - long standing standard for AC power on aircraft, lighter weight alternators than 60Hz. Won't work with consumer electronics which only support 50-60Hz +/- maybe 5-10%. I doubt the airline added 60Hz AC when they refurbed the cabin.
Old Sep 13, 2014, 4:34 pm

Programs: AADULtArer
How do you guys get to sleep at night worrying about stuff like this?

Thread title had me excited for a few minutes though....
Old Sep 13, 2014, 4:48 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by mduell
I think the galley AC power ports are 110V 400Hz - long standing standard for AC power on aircraft, lighter weight alternators than 60Hz. Won't work with consumer electronics which only support 50-60Hz +/- maybe 5-10%. I doubt the airline added 60Hz AC when they refurbed the cabin.
I have no reason to doubt you that the galley typically is still powered on 400Hz, but modern electronic devices have long since passed the days of transformer based designs. They are switchers with the front end being a full wave rectifier, and thus take virtually anything in (even DC) regardless of the label on the brick.

Of course, the FA might not have known this.

EDIT: Of course there might be an issue with the plug/socket. Never bothered to look.

Last edited by exwannabe; Sep 13, 2014 at 4:59 pm
Old Sep 13, 2014, 5:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Is there not a J seat on the 763 assigned for nonrev use?
Old Sep 13, 2014, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
When I clicked on this thread I had visions of an FA trying to do this in Y
Old Sep 13, 2014, 6:49 pm

Programs: UA MP Gold, 1MM, Global Entry
Originally Posted by exwannabe
Of course there might be an issue with the plug/socket. Never bothered to look.
I have to carry 2 different USB outlet connectors on every flight due to UA's sockets where some just fall out and must be held in by hand or by placing a carry on bag next to the outlet. What a PITA.
Old Sep 13, 2014, 7:47 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by rankourabu
When I clicked on this thread I had visions of an FA trying to do this in Y
+1

Last edited by goalie; Sep 14, 2014 at 11:25 am Reason: removed quote of deleted post
Old Sep 13, 2014, 10:35 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold, American Kettle, Hertz #1 Presidents Circle, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by uthornsgo
Agree. If someone else needed to use my port while I was not, I would be accommodating and let them. If I'm asleep and not using then its free game. I actually borrowed my seat mate's port once in 777 BF, as for some strange reason, mine would not work. Of course I asked first and they were fine with it.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 12:03 am

If a flight attendant asked me politely to use my power outlet while I was asleep, I wouldn't say no. We all have the endless search for power outlets in airports. If the request was cordial and honest, I don't have any problem with it at all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.