Search
Old Sep 23, 2014, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Kmxu
Map of the current setup:

From the first post of the thread:

Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi everyone,

With a lot of activity around the corner at LAX, we’d like to provide you with an update on our long-term construction plans, and what that means for your travel experience in the interim.

Our goal is to offer a world-class experience at our LAX hub, and to that end we will be investing $450 million over the next several years to modernize our facilities and enhance the experience for our customers. Some changes have already occurred, including reconfiguration of multiple gates in Terminal 8 to handle additional narrow-body mainline aircraft. We will begin further improvements later this year, and by the end of 2017 we plan to open:
  • A brand-new check-in lobby and Premier check-in area
  • A dedicated Global Services Reception with direct security lane access
  • A reconfigured and expanded security checkpoint
  • A refurbished baggage claim area
  • Renovated gate-area hold rooms
  • A brand-new United Club with sweeping views and new amenities
To prepare for these changes, we will consolidate our operations into Terminals 7 and 8 over the next few weeks. Here’s what you need to know if you’re traveling to, from or through LAX:

Beginning September 24, 2014, the following changes will occur in the check-in lobby:
  • The Premier Lobby in Terminal 6 will close, and a temporary Premier lobby with Global Services check-in area will be available in Terminal 7
  • Global Services members will be invited to enter LAX curbside through Terminal 7
  • Dedicated Global Services security lanes will also remain available
Beginning October 27, 2014, the following changes will occur in our operations:
  • United will no longer use gates located in Terminal 6 (gates 60, 61, 62, and 63)
  • The United Club in Terminal 6 will close
  • The current United Club in Terminal 7 will continue to be available
  • The current United Global First Lounge in Terminal 7 will convert to a United Club
  • All departing flights and most arriving flights will be consolidated into Terminals 7 & 8
  • Please note: Some international arrivals may use the Tom Bradley International Terminal (TBIT). These include flights from Sydney and Melbourne, and some flights from Mexico on a seasonal basis.
Thanks for your patience during this transition, and we appreciate your “pardoning our dust” as we work to improve our facilities at LAX.

-UA Insider
Security Checkpoint Setup

During this early stage of the construction, there remain four entry points for United passengers to get through security:

T6 Checkpoint: Although UA will soon cease service out of T6, T6 is connected to T7/C8 by a secured hallway, and the T6 security checkpoint remains a quiet checkpoint with full PreCheck.

T7 West Checkpoint (a/k/a T6.5 West a/k/a T6.4): This is now for general economy passengers only. There is no PreCheck and no Premier lane here now.
The passageway to T7 remains open (guarded from the T7 side by very mean redcoats) and is now clogged with general economy passengers who check in in T7 and must schlep through the hallway to the West-facing checkpoint.
T7 East Checkpoint (a/k/a T6.5 East a/k/a T6.6): This is PreCheck only, with a single line feeding to two TSOs, two x-ray machines, and two WTMDs. This is a probable significant improvement over the prior T6.4 Checkpoint PreCheck setup.

C8 Lower Level Checkpoint: Premier security is now at C8. No real PreCheck at this checkpoint.

T7/T8 to TBIT via tunnel, about 40 min walk with average speed (copied mostly from a blog; http://upgrd.com/blogs/doublewidesfl...-security.html ):

If you are flying through Los Angeles and are connecting airlines, just follow the signs that are located near the far southern end of each terminal to connect via underground tunnel to the other terminals.

When in TBIT, walk past the KE/one world lounge to the end of concourse - take a right handed u turn, up the escalator and the *A lounge is there.

In terminal 4, access the tunnel via the escalator that reads gate 44A-L
Continue to follow the signs to baggage claim, walk past the waiting room is for the bus to Terminal 6 or the American Eagle remote terminal.

to access the tunnels from Delta terminal in T5, the escalator leading to the tunnels is near the entrance to the Sky club near.

The access point from Terminal 6 is near Alaska Airlines' gates, across from the Alaska Airline Board Room and near the Ruby's diner. The tunnel ends at terminal 6, so you must exit the tunnel and access terminal 7 & 8 by above ground walkways which are near the terminal exit and security screening center.
Print Wikipost

PSA: Upcoming LAX Facility Changes

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2014, 6:04 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by mgcsinc
The objections regarding the check-in area seem to be three-fold: 1. the area is small; 2. all premiers are lumped together; 3. the many lines are staffed by a floating agent or two, rather than an agent at each kiosk........
I would add a fourth. They need to flip flop the Premier check in and economy check in sections. It makes no sense to have premier travelers checking in at the point that is furthest away from TSA precheck.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 7:29 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion; IHG Platinum; Marriott Gold; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Always Flyin
United is an airline for those locked into fortress hubs, those with corporate contracts (which are diminishing in number), Kayakers, and those who just don't know any better.
I fly United because upgrades to BusinessFirst are easy and available on low fare JFK-LAX tickets. I have no corporation telling me what to do as I pay for my own tickets and travel for my own purposes.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 10:19 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by nycityny
I fly United because upgrades to BusinessFirst are easy and available on low fare JFK-LAX tickets. I have no corporation telling me what to do as I pay for my own tickets and travel for my own purposes.
I will simply point out to you that AA flies that route as well with 3-class of service A321s and upgrades are no harder than on UA. At least AA does not treat its passengers with disdain, which UA certainly does these days.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 10:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by LAXOGG
I would add a fourth. They need to flip flop the Premier check in and economy check in sections. It makes no sense to have premier travelers checking in at the point that is furthest away from TSA precheck.
It's not the furthest point, but it's a well-taken point. At the moment, the crisscrossing of general economy and PreCheck passengers is a mess.
Old Oct 11, 2014, 12:52 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion; IHG Platinum; Marriott Gold; Hilton Gold
Just went through precheck at T7 - the one to the right of non-premier checkin. Nobody was in front of me and I zoomed through. I even had to hand the agent my BP without ID while I fished my license out of my wallet. The airport is crowded but precheck isn't even though only one lane is open.

The United Club in T7, on the other hand, is a zoo. Way too crowded to be a place of "relaxed comfort."

Edit: When I left the Club there was a line out the door of folks waiting to check in. Kind of ridiculous.

Last edited by nycityny; Oct 11, 2014 at 1:23 pm
Old Oct 11, 2014, 1:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM, HH Diamond, Marriott/SPG Gold (UA comp)
I went through the double doors at the east end of T6 again this week. The TSA screeners east of those doors where pre check used to be were not busy but they offered no pre check. I walked further east to T7 pre check where there was nobody in front of me. Had it been busy it would have been a toss up for me to choose to leave my shoes on vs taking them off for a shorter line. So far I'm not that worried but let's see what happens when it gets busy and I'm antsy to get to those yogurt raisins in the UC.
Old Oct 11, 2014, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Do you mean the C8 checkpoint?
Doh, yes, the C8 (premier) checkpoint.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 9:15 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Anyone accessed the temporary "GFL" yet?
Old Oct 21, 2014, 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
Anyone accessed the temporary "GFL" yet?
Don't think it exists yet. Not sure we ever got official word about it existing
Old Oct 22, 2014, 1:24 am

Expected to open 10/25. Will be a small cubicle inside the current IFL. Approximate dimension is 10' X 20'.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 4:41 am

Stupid question why is it labeled C8 on the map on the wiki, but when I go to the LAWA website and look at the map there it just says a generic T8. What's the difference?
Old Oct 22, 2014, 5:02 am

Agreed. When I was there last month, the GS ladies told me the GFL is closing down permanently and will not exist in the new club. Ironically there were UA peeps doing a site survey to convert the GFL into a normal UC, and they confirmed that there wasn't going to be a GFL ever.

Not 100% sure I would trust their word but sad if true.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 5:46 pm

Is UA allowing PS business passengers into the former IFL on the upper level near gate 75?
Old Oct 24, 2014, 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by Colin
Is UA allowing PS business passengers into the former IFL on the upper level near gate 75?
It's a GFL for another three days. Then it becomes a United Club.

PS J gets access to UCs bit not GFLs. Unless you're GS.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 9:14 am

Update on UC and GFL

Tomorrow is the last day the UC at T6 will be open. The 2nd floor GFL will close Monday for 2 weeks and reopen as a UC. There will be a very small approximate 10' X 20' section in the upstairs lounge carved out for Global First Customers. (This is only temporary and a much larger Global First section will be created within the new UC when construction is completed sometime within the next 2 years.)

Apparently there will also be a small Global Service check in lounge / reception area opening in 2 weeks.

Last edited by LAXOGG; Oct 25, 2014 at 9:20 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.