Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA CFO Rainey on Bloomberg: Global First "Effectively the Same" as J

UA CFO Rainey on Bloomberg: Global First "Effectively the Same" as J

Old Feb 24, 2015, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by tryathlete
Greyhound busses have more seating room.
That is literally true. I have ridden Greyhound a couple of times in the past year. The seats and legroom are better than on UA's slimline A320s.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 1:31 am

Programs: UA 3K UGS 3MM
Originally Posted by tryathlete
There's no point in defending Global F. It is as good as dead. BF is the new F, and there's no point in arguing it when you are not flying on OPM. I cannot even defend the cost of BF from a personal expense standpoint. Seriously--- $5-7K for an international flight versus a new 80 inch 4K widescreen and still get there in Y?

Best value in the air is a Y ticket to Asia--- $1000 plus or minus a few hundred. I wish my employer would pay me 1/2 the difference between Y and C. 8 trips a year and I'd be driving a nice old Porsche on weekend!
The view from where you sit is not necessarily representative of others'.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 4:28 am

Programs: AA DULtArer
Originally Posted by kevanyalowitz
The view from where you sit is not necessarily representative of others'.
Not of all others, but certainly of the majority. GF will be removed as the planes arrive at the schedule for major airframe checks over the next year.

If it is important to you, plan on flying another airline.

On edit - my speculation only.

Last edited by LaserSailor; Feb 25, 2015 at 8:49 am
Old Feb 25, 2015, 5:29 am

Programs: UA 1K, GE/Nexus, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by LaserSailor
Not of all others, but certainly of the majority. GF will be removed as the planes arrive at the schedule for major airframe checks over the next year.

Be careful with the majority thinking - since majority is perfectly happy flying Y... you may end up with an all-Y UA. Your petite assistants will be fine with that, apparently (and two-to-one, they are a majority over you!).

Since this is a thread about Rainman, and not about 'everyone-hates-GF-but-people-who-don't', more on-topic: Rainey is almost directly responsible for this management's squandering of UA's revenue premium. Enough said.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 6:09 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, Hyatt Lifetime Glob, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Platinum
On a flight with that ridiculous J configuration of 2-4-2, GF is very much welcomed. (Using an upgrade cert, of course.)
Old Feb 25, 2015, 6:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by CopperSteve
On a flight with that ridiculous J configuration of 2-4-2, GF is very much welcomed. (Using an upgrade cert, of course.)
I'll make this point yet again: There are two classes of "C" (Business) on United in my experience. On the three-class planes you have the inferior product with narrow seats and very limited personal storage (except perhaps window seats upstairs on the 744), where you may end up jammed in to a 4-seat middle section with people looking at you the entire flight. On the two-class aircraft you have larger (especially width-wise) seats, much more personal storage space, and won't have to deal with four-across seating and people looking at you the entire flight.

It's not appropriate to call all UA C "BusinessFirst" because all C seats are not created equal.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 6:40 am

Originally Posted by CopperSteve
I actually choose the window or middle of the 2-4-2 config as my goal is to not be disturbed on long haul. It's a win for me, and I suspect more J availability trumps " people looking at me" for most
Old Feb 25, 2015, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by LaserSailor

Has this really been announced, or are you just speculating?

I have not noticed any announcements about UA removing Global First from their current Intl long-haul 3-class fleet....but maybe I am mistaken?
Old Feb 25, 2015, 8:48 am

Originally Posted by goodeats21

I have not noticed any announcements about UA removing Global First from their current Intl long-haul 3-class fleet....but maybe I am mistaken?
Sorry - pure speculation on my part. Should be labelled as such, because that is rare on FT.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
I don't see any evidence they will do so, I certainly don't see new fames coming with GF, but apparently, according to the "who pays for GF" thread, there are people who have sufficient disposable income that they are apparently happy to burn it on GF. I don't see UA spending/wasting money ripping them out and either ordering and squeezing in more IPTE seats, or the CO J ones.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 9:15 am

Programs: UA GS 4+ MM
Originally Posted by cova
All you have to do is stand between GF and UA 2-4-2 business class on a 777 and there is a huge difference. When you look back from GF and see four men in the 4 across - it looks like 4 men in a king sized bed. UA GF is a decent seat - although not as good as some other international carriers.

The BF product, from CO, is good, but the density only gives you a small cubby hole for your feet. Again - not similar to GF.

What Rainey should be saying is that UA does not have the demand to justify a separate First product, but that UA is planning to introduce a new business class with all seats having aisle access (similar to AA's new J products).
I used to think UAs 2-4-2 was the least desirable config for biz class. Then last week I took Cathays 343 config from HKG to MNL. Talk about weird. 1-2-1, but the 1's have their backs to the window. And it was more like 5 men in an angled queen bed! I felt broad shouldered for the first time in my life. To each his own, but I'll take the UA 4 across config anyday over that.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by goodeats21

None of the 787s will be installed with GF and all internal workings point to no GF on the A350s either.
The 3-cabin 763s are getting GF removed and reconfigured like the current 2-cabin 763s. The last aircraft to have GF will be some of the 3-cabin 777s and those aircraft will retain GF until those aircraft are retired.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 10:14 am

Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
None of the 787s will be installed with GF and all internal workings point to no GF on the A350s either.
The 3-cabin 763s are getting GF removed and reconfigured like the current 2-cabin 763s. The last aircraft to have GF will be some of the 3-cabin 777s and those aircraft will retain GF until those aircraft are retired.
Is the 777-300 swap for the 789 true and if new 777 will they be 3-cabin?
Old Feb 25, 2015, 12:12 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by SwisherTown
Is the 777-300 swap for the 789 true and if new 777 will they be 3-cabin?
Boeing is rumored to be announcing a PIP for the 77W in March (with 2-3% efficiency improvements over the existing model), which would be a logical time to announce a UA order. If that announcement comes and goes without mention of a UA order, then it's safe to say the rumor is probably just that.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 1:06 pm

according to the "who pays for GF" thread, there are people who have sufficient disposable income that they are apparently happy to burn it on GF.
Of course these people exist, but they are near unicorns. The thread exposes that they are willing to pay HOD to low TOD for upgrades to GF

Adding in 2-3 J seats in place of 1 GF coffin is a clear revenue win for the airline, and just dump the PAX who will fly someone else GF

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.