Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

NRT-IAH: Who's up for picking up a few bottles of Dassai 23 sake from Duty free?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NRT-IAH: Who's up for picking up a few bottles of Dassai 23 sake from Duty free?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2014, 7:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat

Hi folks, thought i'd post this request- We recently were in Japan (we, as in my wife and myself) and absolutely fell in love with the Dassai sake. They have a store in Tokyo (highly recommended if you are a sake lover!) that has their premium selections. We were fortunate enough to be able to try a wide selection of their sake there and were able to purchase some of their exclusive bottles not available in the US, although one of our favorites from that brewery is the Dassai 23.

Interestingly, the exact same (supposedly exclusive) bottle of Dassai 23 was available at the Narita Airport Duty Free shop called FaSoLa in Terminal 1! The store is right outside Passport Control for departure passengers (location (2) on this map of their stores), which is on the way to the departure gates for the UA flights to Houston (typically leave from no:3 satellite area).

Obviously we loaded up on them but alas are now running low on this heavenly elixir. Unfortunately very few sake places in the US have this particular bottle available, and if they do, shipping to Texas is tough because of the heat

So, question/favor/request would be, would anyone returning in the next few days/weeks/months be up for buying me a bottle of the Dassai 23 from this DF store? Obviously i'll be happy to pay you up front as well as pay a small 'carrier fee' (self coined, don't judge) and meet you at IAH arrivals to claim my prized possession

Feel free to PM/email me!
Thanks in advance!
Jake

Last edited by jakeg104; Sep 1, 2014 at 8:11 pm
Old Sep 1, 2014, 7:05 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
I'm not going until next year, but will check up then!
Old Sep 1, 2014, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
What are the customs implications for the carrier, for the commercial import of sake?
Old Sep 1, 2014, 7:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
And does FlyerTalk have any liability for acting as a liquor marketplace?
Old Sep 1, 2014, 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by mduell
What are the customs implications for the carrier, for the commercial import of sake?
There is nothing commercial about my choosing to gift a friend a couple bottles of his preferred sake. Nor is there anything commercial about him thanking me in some reasonable manner.

Though definitely declare what it is that you import. No need to tempt fate on that.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 7:36 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by sbm12
There is nothing commercial about my choosing to gift a friend a couple bottles of his preferred sake. Nor is there anything commercial about him thanking me in some reasonable manner.
Which in no way even remotely resembles what's going on here.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 7:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
I'm not going until next year, but will check up then!
Awesome, thanks!
Old Sep 1, 2014, 7:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mduell
How does someone getting a bottle of sake from DF for personal consumption fall under 'commercial import of sake'?? Are you traveling back from NRT soon? If not, please stop polluting this thread.

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
And does FlyerTalk have any liability for acting as a liquor marketplace?
All i ask is if someone is willing to grab a bottle of sake from DF (totally legal the last time I checked)

Though definitely declare what it is that you import. No need to tempt fate on that.
Thanks Seth .

Lastly, Mods, if this violates some FT policy, let me know and feel free to delete this thread...

Last edited by jakeg104; Sep 1, 2014 at 8:12 pm
Old Sep 1, 2014, 7:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I'll be flying that route in January, so I may be able to help out. I typically don't bring back liquor from trips.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 7:59 pm

Programs: DL BA Amex
Can't you just buy it a liqueur store?
Old Sep 1, 2014, 8:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by krazykanuck
I'll be flying that route in January, so I may be able to help out. I typically don't bring back liquor from trips.
That would be awesome, thank you!
Originally Posted by bajrbajr
Can't you just buy it a liqueur store?
Unfortunately we've only found one distributor in NY who carries it occasionally and won't ship to Texas because of the fact that Texas heat ends up damaging the sake.. I also recently heard that there is a store in SF that will bring this in at times, but again, won't ship. Whenever we go east, we almost always will stop and grab a few bottles from these stores if they have them in stock...
Old Sep 1, 2014, 8:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OP

Are these very small bottles? Asking for a few from 1 person would go over their allowed customs limit of 1 liter per person. If they bring more they may have to pay a duty on the excess amount. You should post if willing to reimburse this also.

You can order it from here:

http://www.sakayanyc.com/shop_all.php?prod_id=11

Texas is in their list
Old Sep 1, 2014, 8:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Baze
OP

Are these very small bottles? Asking for a few from 1 person would go over their allowed customs limit of 1 liter per person. If they bring more they may have to pay a duty on the excess amount. You should post if willing to reimburse this also.

You can order it from here:

http://www.sakayanyc.com/shop_all.php?prod_id=11

Texas is in their list
Good point on the amount limit, the bottles are 720ml, so it would be a (1) bottle, i stand corrected and will adjust the original and follow up posts to reflect.

Yup, my wife actually visited the store in NYC, $106 is actually twice the price of the bottle from DF (was $50 the last time we bought from NRT DF)
Thanks for the link!!

Last edited by jakeg104; Sep 1, 2014 at 8:15 pm Reason: wife's comment
Old Sep 1, 2014, 8:44 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Since this does not involve flying United or the MileagePlus program, I'm going to move it to the Community forum.

l'etoile
UA moderator
Old Sep 1, 2014, 8:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Cost+fee for service is now a gift?

Originally Posted by jakeg104
Obviously i'll be happy to pay you up front as well as pay a small 'carrier fee' (self coined, don't judge)
Originally Posted by jakeg104
How does someone getting a bottle of sake from DF for personal consumption fall under 'commercial import of sake'??
The person importing it isn't personally consuming it. They're contracting in advance for a cost+fee service.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.