Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA - a global airline but not for "foreigners"?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA - a global airline but not for "foreigners"?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2014, 3:47 am

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
Originally Posted by mduell
I don't think you understand the point of sale concept for airline tickets - changing the billing country changes the point of sale!

Changing the credit card to a different billing country is exactly changing the point of sale.
I think it is you who do not understand the concept of POS for airline tickets.

POS is exactly that. If you walk into a travel agent in NYC with a US or foreign credit card, your POS is NYC.

If you walk into a travel agent in London with a US or UK credit card, your POS is still London.

United's website/billing system is just stupid, and changes POS based on billing address - that does not mean that that is how it is supposed to work.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 3:48 am

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by cfischer
yup. Both have worked for me in the past in similar situations. Airlines play games but so can customers.
^ had to do this with a BA ticket this week. Ex-UK there was no availability in the low fare classes, ex-US there was. BA site useless, tried with aa.com, but got kicked back at purchase, used 'cheaptickets' and priced/sold in $ as required, even with a UK billing address, and ticketed in under 5 mins .
Old Aug 31, 2014, 4:19 am

Programs: *
Originally Posted by stevenshev
I think it is you who do not understand the concept of POS for airline tickets.

POS is exactly that. If you walk into a travel agent in NYC with a US or foreign credit card, your POS is NYC.

If you walk into a travel agent in London with a US or UK credit card, your POS is still London.

United's website/billing system is just stupid, and changes POS based on billing address - that does not mean that that is how it is supposed to work.
Problem is we generally don't walk into travel agents anymore so makes it more blurred where the "point of sale'' should be and what taxation and levies to pay. When you buy goods in one country when present in another, whose tax rules do you follow? Do you pay taxes and follow laws based on where you live or where the goods are being sold? If I live in Texas and order goods from New Jersey it is same website and technically same point of sale as someone who lives in California or in Bhutan - do we all pay the same tax? If all residents of singapore buy their tickets through a US website and pay directly in USD bypassing the Singapore system, is the country (Singapore) losing revenue it should get on trade done in its territory, or on sales of foreign goods and services. How then does Singapore levy its residents for purchase of foreign goods? How will Bhutan collect taxes and levies from large international corporations doing internet trade with its nationals if point of sale is in BOS?

These issues are not as simple as walking into a travel agent in New York. The issue per se is not about credit cards but about internet trade across international boundaries - the CC address is just one tool used by some to force local point of sale but there are others.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 4:41 am

Programs: AADULtArer
130 people sitting in the same seats in coach, and there are at least 20 different prices paid for the exact same seat.
Sigh.

Bought at completely different times, with widely varying terms and conditions

The physical seat has little to do with the pricing.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 5:02 am

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Originally Posted by ksingh0311
Gengar, why in the God's name not, and why do you think the same ticket should cost more if purchased somewhere else?
And just as often the ticket costs less if purchased somewhere else........it evens out.

Case in point. LAX-DXB (STOP) - CMB in F on EK $16,000.00
OR coming the other way
CMB-DXB (stop) - LAX in F $6000

Same story with Ex India and Ex Korea
Old Aug 31, 2014, 6:42 am

Programs: UA GS, DL Plat, Marriott Bonvoy LIfetime Titanium/SPG refugee, Hertz Prez, Amtrak Select
I understand all the POS issues but this is still just a United issue.

I'm an American who lives and works in the USA but for a Canadian company. Accordingly, my corporate credit card has a Canadian billing address.

I go through this Canada vs USA pricing thing constantly. I've been doing this for over five years and, in my experience, it's never been less expensive on United to have a Canadian billing address for your credit card than an American one. I always get screwed when I pick the Canadian credit card from my profile.

Other airlines? Not an issue. Enter a Canadian billing address with Delta and American and nothing changes. Same prices, etc. JetBlue doesn't even require a billing address.

My solution: have a travel agent ticket the trip for me. She doesn't even know it's a Canadian billing address.

This is solely a United and solely a United website issue. Call it POS or discrimination or revenue management: it's all the same. If you have a international billing address and you want to buy a ticket off the UA website, UA will screw you.

Last edited by EnvoyBoy; Aug 31, 2014 at 12:58 pm
Old Aug 31, 2014, 7:43 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Many carriers do this and it is both deliberate and the nature of a competetive business. The specific of the POS issue is cureable, but the broader issue of price discrimination has existed for a long, long time.

There are even fares which cannot be purchased with a US address for domestic US travel as there have been cheap rail tickets in Europe, thing EuRailPass (dating me) as long as 45 years ago,
Old Aug 31, 2014, 8:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: AY, SQ, EK
Originally Posted by pmarrsouth
For future reference when booking tickets your PAYMENT details should be input as follows:

Address line 1: your sing/EUR address line 1
Address line 2: your sing/EUR address line 2
City: your sing/EUR city
Zip: any USA zip (I use 33316)
State: Florida (corresponds to above zip)

Majority of processors will accept a country mismatch so long as the f holders full name, address line 1, city, CCV and expiry all match.

Means it will be charged in USD btw
Good point - I remember this working on aa.com and Continental Airlines.

I might not have remembered to give it a try in this case...
Old Aug 31, 2014, 8:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fastair
So your title is misleading. You clearly understand tbe concept of point of sale restrictions. They aren't like Peru, which is like your title, discriminatory based on your natl origin, they are based on the point if sale. I go to LAN and as a gringo, but a ticket from LIM to CUZ, I pay more that the Peruvian who bought the exact same booking 5 min later. That is against foreigners. You could of course go to HNL, find someone who could issue a ticket, even a travel agent, and pay the same for your HNL-STL flight that I would pay, an American, as long as we both utilized the same point of sale.

It's location discrimination, not nationality based.
we can call it what we like - but the point remains. No US credit card = pay at least USD500 more.

+ I quite like the convenience of booking online.

I can't remember seeing prices jump with Hawaiian, Alaska, US Airways, Spirit () etc. etc. - or when I have booked domestic itineraries in other countries in recent times,
Old Aug 31, 2014, 8:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by artvandalay
If you believe this is discrimination, then nothing in this forum can possibly change your mind, and I really don't understand your purpose here.

Living in SIN, I'm surprised you are not aware of the fare differences to be had based upon location of purchase, whether you are in Singapore or Malaysia or Indonesia. Likewise, a US traveler purchasing a ticket for travel in or to any of those places likely pays more than a "local" does sometimes. It's a way of life in Asia and perhaps other areas as well, and most folks realize and accept it's the name of the global travel game these days.

Sometimes--okay, often--UA is guilty of one thing or another, sometimes they are not. In your case, IMHO, no way; but if you truly feel that you are being discriminated against, recommend you contact UA directly. Perhaps their reply will not change your mind either, but it will be the last word.

As you already stated, there are plenty of other travel options at your disposal from Singapore.
Pls do note "price discrimination" is a strategy - or at least that's how I understand it.

I am not using the word "discrimination" in the sense that I would compare this to a human rights issue of some kind.

...just find the whole hassle of dealing with united.com and being told to pay hundreds of dollars extra a bit crazy.

I have booked a number of domestic flights in Malaysia this year, for example, and no - the price has not be moved. Just can't think of a whole lot of other examples from recent years to be perfectly honest.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 8:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TennisNoob
As another user has said, I'm quite surprised you haven't realized that Singpoare is going to get overcharged compared to it's cross borders/regional neighbors like Malaysia, Indonesia, and etc.

It's quite normal, unfortunately it happens
For sure - I am not going to argue that prices should not vary by sales channel / location.

My situation here was comparable to a store / restaurant in Singapore charging 50% more if one does not use a Singapore-based credit card. The merchant probably would be free to do that, but the policy would not necessarily make visitors too happy.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 8:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by catocony
What fare bucket did you get when pricing in US dollars vs. another currency? It could be that you got a W fare or something, but with the foreign credit card, you priced in at M.

If you want to talk about discrimination, we can go down memory lane and discuss how business travelers used to get bled dry on transcon flights. The Saturday stay, the two weeks in advance BS, there used to be a buttload of price fixing and gouging that we don't have much of anymore. Unless you count the concept of fare buckets in general, which is a direct form of price discrimination. 130 people sitting in the same seats in coach, and there are at least 20 different prices paid for the exact same seat.
Not sure re fare buckets. Was on the road when I was making this booking. Good question.

I just want to be clear - "price discrimination" is not a form of "discrimination" in the conventional sense.

Just find it very strange that I would have to pay more in this case - that's it. USD500 is a decent amount of cash in my books.

Let's say I'm reasonably familiar with the concept of airline revenue management. ^
Old Aug 31, 2014, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by nanyang
In the end a US-based friend got the tickets issued using his credit card.
Careful with that. If the name on the CC and the name on the ticket aren't the same, many airlines will require that you show your CC when you check in (fraud avoidance). That happened to my wife last year and she ended up having to buy another ticket with her card (ticket was in her maiden name).
Old Aug 31, 2014, 8:42 am
Original Poster

Thank you again to everyone who replied. ^

Really appreciate your thoughts on this. I flew over to the US and back on a UA ticket (ex-MNL) booked via a travel agent here in SIN - happy to use travel agents for more complicated bookings, but booking a domestic itinerary in the US should be a 2-minure job.

I have flown domestic sectors at least on the following airlines over the past 12 months - booking via the local website, and the price certainly did not change because I used a foreign cc:

ANA (StarFlyer, IBEX, AirDo)
Skymark Airlines
JAL (JAL Express, JAC)
Finnair (flybe)
Alaska Airlines
ERA Alaska
Hawaiian Airlines
Mokulele Airlines
Island Air
firefly
Malaysia Airlines
Malindo Air
British Airways
SpiceJet
Indigo
Old Aug 31, 2014, 8:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tchiowa
Careful with that. If the name on the CC and the name on the ticket aren't the same, many airlines will require that you show your CC when you check in (fraud avoidance). That happened to my wife last year and she ended up having to buy another ticket with her card (ticket was in her maiden name).
Name & address of cc holder were provided to UA (had to call them). The agent understood what was being done.

All segments flown with no issues.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.