Community
Wiki Posts
Search

K class mileage credit

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2014, 10:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA: ExPlat & 3MM; UA: 1k; KL: Plat 4 Life; Hyatt: Plat; SPG, Marriott, Hilton: Gold
K class mileage credit

Was wondering: Is an UA flight number starting with a "9" for LH code share that is a K class is treated like it is a K fare on LH flight number? And thus get no mileage on MileagePlus?

Thx
Old Aug 27, 2014, 10:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

It will depend on what it maps to in LH's systems as the operating carrier's fare class is what determines the earning rates. I would expect it to be a K fare and to earn nil.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 10:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA: ExPlat & 3MM; UA: 1k; KL: Plat 4 Life; Hyatt: Plat; SPG, Marriott, Hilton: Gold
Originally Posted by sbm12
It will depend on what it maps to in LH's systems as the operating carrier's fare class is what determines the earning rates. I would expect it to be a K fare and to earn nil.
Thx. So on *A it is not the flight number that counts but the metal? Weird. Different on OW
Old Aug 27, 2014, 10:55 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by anandrag
Thx. So on *A it is not the flight number that counts but the metal? Weird. Different on OW
Correct. For oneworld, mileage accrual depends on the marketing carrier. For Star Alliance, mileage accrual depends on the operating carrier (and the operating carrier's fare class). Just rules of the road — if you're used to one, the other one feels weird.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 11:07 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by mherdeg
Correct. For oneworld, mileage accrual depends on the marketing carrier. For Star Alliance, mileage accrual depends on the operating carrier (and the operating carrier's fare class). Just rules of the road — if you're used to one, the other one feels weird.
OW's approach is simpler b/c you don't have to worry about fare class mapping. Although with LH, they pretty consistently map straight across these days.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 11:09 am

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9930; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.1066 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

For OW operating carrier can come into play as well on codeshares. A flight coded as a OW parter but operated by a non-OW partner likely won't credit except to the carrier whose code it carries. Basically partners of partners don't count still.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 11:16 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
OW's approach is simpler b/c you don't have to worry about fare class mapping. Although with LH, they pretty consistently map straight across these days.
Last week, I had an itinerary with both LH and AC code shares. LH mapped W to W, and all was well.

AC mapped W to T and I lost 75% of the mileage accrual, as compared to if it had remained an AC W fare.

Perhaps there needs to be a thread where people report UA fare code mapping across *A code shares?
Old Aug 27, 2014, 11:28 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Gold, Marriott Gold Elite
It will depend on what it maps to in LH's systems as the operating carrier's fare class is what determines the earning rates.
Did not get flight credit for LH K fare; which is consistent with what is posted on the UA website.

One caveat, I had a few intra-Europe flights booked on UA T or L fares with UA flight numbers, operated by LH, mapped to LH T or L fares also. According to UA website, intra-Europe LH flights on T & L fares are not eligible for flight credits. But I got PQM, PQS, and PQD for them.

Last edited by CAPT Tee; Aug 27, 2014 at 11:35 am
Old Aug 27, 2014, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by CAPT Tee
One caveat, I had a few intra-Europe flights booked on UA T or L fares with UA flight numbers, operated by LH, mapped to LH T or L fares also. According to UA website, intra-Europe LH flights on T & L fares are not eligible for flight credits. But I got PQM, PQS, and PQD for them.
If the trip connects onward from Europe then they do earn. If it was an itinerary wholly within the EU then you should not have received credit.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 1:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Gold, Marriott Gold Elite
If the trip connects onward from Europe then they do earn. If it was an itinerary wholly within the EU then you should not have received credit.
That explains it. That has been my case, US to Europe flights connect to Intra-Europe flights or return.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 3:36 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Nexus, GE
That used to be explicitly the case; however, they've re-written the page on LH mileage earning (for like the 3rd or 4th time in the last few years)
http://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/mark...spx?ItemId=298
It's just a little bit ambiguous as to the earnings of intra-European flights. I think it used to say something like "in conjunction with a trans-atlantic flight" miles would be earned.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.