Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Photo Essay: How Your United Airlines Meal is Prepared

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 27, 2014, 5:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jspira
United Airlines' Chelsea Food Services at Newark makes over 30,000 meals a day for 200 flights. This photo essay shows how the meals are actually prepared.

Photo Essay: How Your Airline Meal Is Prepared
Behind the Scenes in United Airlines’ Kitchen

Love it or hate it, airline food is a popular topic of conversation amongst travelers.

In the earliest days of commercial aviation, airlines copied what others in the transportation industry, such as operators of rail service and passenger ships, were doing and offered food and drink.

Today, airline meals are big business but there are still real people in the kitchen chopping, mixing, sautéing, grilling, and garnishing what is served to you in the air....

<SNIP>
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2014, 6:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold

Last week I took a tour of United's Chelsea Food Services' kitchen at Newark and wrote about it for Frequent Business Traveler magazine, where (as some of you know) I serve as editorial director.

The purpose of the United gathering was to present new and experimental meals but I wanted to document how people actually prepare the meals. The smells are quite inviting, the food is freshly prepared (I was told United tries to schedule the food for just a few hours before flight time as opposed to what some kitchens do, which is the day before).

Everything looked very fresh and appealing and it was clear to me that the workers cared a lot about the quality of the meals they produced.

If you have any questions, I'm happy to try to address them based on what I saw but the eight photos in the photo essay also tell a great story.

Photo Essay: How Your Airline Meal Is Prepared
Behind the Scenes in United Airlines’ Kitchen

Love it or hate it, airline food is a popular topic of conversation amongst travelers.

In the earliest days of commercial aviation, airlines copied what others in the transportation industry, such as operators of rail service and passenger ships, were doing and offered food and drink.

Today, airline meals are big business but there are still real people in the kitchen chopping, mixing, sautéing, grilling, and garnishing what is served to you in the air....

<SNIP>

Last edited by jspira; Aug 26, 2014 at 12:52 pm
Old Aug 26, 2014, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I like how in one of those pictures the worker's white cook jacket says "Continental Airlines"
Old Aug 26, 2014, 7:19 am

Originally Posted by krazykanuck
I like how in one of those pictures the worker's white cook jacket says "Continental Airlines"
I saw at least two of them
Old Aug 26, 2014, 7:24 am

As I suspected, much like a hospital kitchen, with quality to match.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 9:23 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium.;UA 1.5MM; UA Lifetime Gold (whoppee); DL Plat
Originally Posted by JetAway
Looks like our school district's main kitchen that prepares 150,000 meals a day...gives me a better perspective on why UA's food is like it is!
Old Aug 26, 2014, 9:28 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
The quality is determined by how much the airline chooses to spend on catering, not necessarily the kitchens. Meals for the likes of SQ, CX and OZ F cabins are often prepared in kitchens right alongside the UA chicken "bouquets"...
Old Aug 26, 2014, 11:26 am

Originally Posted by EWR764
The quality is determined by how much the airline chooses to spend on catering, not necessarily the kitchens. Meals for the likes of SQ, CX and OZ F cabins are often prepared in kitchens right alongside the UA chicken "bouquets"...
I've watched videos of SQ's food being prepared at both SIN and JFK and the process appears to be much more individualized than we see in the UA pics.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 1:51 pm

Programs: Star, Oneworld, Skymiles, SPG
I've watched videos of SQ's food being prepared at both SIN and JFK and the process appears to be much more individualized than we see in the UA pics.
Food prep at UA and CO has gone downhill a great deal in the last twenty years mostly due to budget cuts, but also different prep methods.

In the 1980's and 1990's, first class and business class food was loaded on in aluminum trays with different foods separate. I.e., meat would be in one tray, potatoes in another and vegetables in a separate third. The dishware (which was called a "setup") would be separate. The flight attendant would heat the food and apportion the food herself onto the plates. Today it looks like the food is pre-placed on the plate in the kitchen which leaves the food mushed together when it is served.

In addition, more food in those days were loaded on in bulk. I.e., nuts for first class would be loaded on in a big plastic bag and the flight attendant would dish out the nuts until the bag was empty. Today the nuts are loaded pre-allocated in bowls so you only one one portion and the FA's can't offer your seconds.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 2:00 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K, 1 Million Miler, AA ExPlat
Flush twice. It's a long way to the cafeteria.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 3:00 pm

Programs: UA GM, QF Bronze, Sugar and Spice buy 6 cups get one free offer card holder
http://www.frequentbusinesstraveler....is-prepared/7/

The meat patty in the 'breakfast' looks like its been pre-cooked before it arrived at the kitchen, then frozen, then thawed out and reheated in the air?

That or else its been sitting on the counter for most of the day. I must admit the photos of the kitchen look rather 'blah'...much like the general culture of the airline (one part they are actually consistent)
Old Aug 26, 2014, 3:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
How am I supposed to sleep tonight???

Old Aug 26, 2014, 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by ozziegumby
http://www.frequentbusinesstraveler....is-prepared/7/

The meat patty in the 'breakfast' looks like its been pre-cooked before it arrived at the kitchen, then frozen, then thawed out and reheated in the air?

That or else its been sitting on the counter for most of the day. I must admit the photos of the kitchen look rather 'blah'...much like the general culture of the airline (one part they are actually consistent)
I read or saw somewhere that a lot of the catered items are prepared by contractors and shipped to the airline for use in the meals. I imagine the sausage is one of those items.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 3:52 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
All of which is determined by the company's catering guidelines and budget. Obviously, more labor-intensive preparation is more costly. In any event, the issue was how the kitchen itself appeared... Very few kitchens, even those in some of the finest restaurants in the world, look like Williams-Sonoma catalogs.

Originally Posted by eghansen
Food prep at UA and CO has gone downhill a great deal in the last twenty years mostly due to budget cuts, but also different prep methods.

In the 1980's and 1990's, first class and business class food was loaded on in aluminum trays with different foods separate. I.e., meat would be in one tray, potatoes in another and vegetables in a separate third. The dishware (which was called a "setup") would be separate. The flight attendant would heat the food and apportion the food herself onto the plates. Today it looks like the food is pre-placed on the plate in the kitchen which leaves the food mushed together when it is served.

In addition, more food in those days were loaded on in bulk. I.e., nuts for first class would be loaded on in a big plastic bag and the flight attendant would dish out the nuts until the bag was empty. Today the nuts are loaded pre-allocated in bowls so you only one one portion and the FA's can't offer your seconds.
Generally speaking, international/p.s. entrees are still prepared this way, and Chef McLoughlin alluded to the fact that they were looking to expand the number of markets which receive plated entrees, instead of casseroles, as it allows for a more personalized experience in markets where there is sufficient flight time to do a longer service.

Casseroles are plated in the flight kitchens, wrapped in color-coded foil, stacked into metal containers, and loaded directly into the ovens, while tray setups with cold items, silverware, linens and condiments are loaded into carts and boarded. More or less the same way hot economy meals are provisioned. On the other hand, on flights where meals are individually plated, each component of the various dishes are placed in separate aluminum containers and loaded in the ovens.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 3:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, F9 Elite, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
The Miami Airport show that aired on Travel channel (I think?) had an episode last year where they showed the meal prep kitchen and process from start to finish. It was probably one of the more interesting episodes actually, and highlighted the fact of how clean and sanitary these places need to be. I think they were preparing the Alitalia flight's meals, it was interesting to see and I appreciated the details and work that went into the preparation. You never think about it until you see it laid out like that.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 7:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by EWR764

Generally speaking, international/p.s. entrees are still prepared this way, and Chef McLoughlin alluded to the fact that they were looking to expand the number of markets which receive plated entrees, instead of casseroles, as it allows for a more personalized experience in markets where there is sufficient flight time to do a longer service.
As he said this at the event, I wondered if the flight attendants would welcome the personalization - or chafe at the extra work.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.