Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Photo Essay: How Your United Airlines Meal is Prepared

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 27, 2014, 5:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jspira
United Airlines' Chelsea Food Services at Newark makes over 30,000 meals a day for 200 flights. This photo essay shows how the meals are actually prepared.

Photo Essay: How Your Airline Meal Is Prepared
Behind the Scenes in United Airlines’ Kitchen

Love it or hate it, airline food is a popular topic of conversation amongst travelers.

In the earliest days of commercial aviation, airlines copied what others in the transportation industry, such as operators of rail service and passenger ships, were doing and offered food and drink.

Today, airline meals are big business but there are still real people in the kitchen chopping, mixing, sautéing, grilling, and garnishing what is served to you in the air....

<SNIP>
Print Wikipost

Photo Essay: How Your United Airlines Meal is Prepared

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2014, 6:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by elitetraveler
The problem with UA catering isn't Chelsea - it's the budget they are given. They also cater for EK and SQ at IAH I believe and BA in DEN, IAH and EWR.

When Icahn took over TW and slashed the catering budgets it was the same kitchens and same cooks making the food -- they just went from getting premium ingredients to the cheapest possible.

In FRA the same kitchen that caters LH F caters UA F.
I'm quite certain that the catering service wants to do the best it can with the budget. But your point is spot on - it all comes down to budget eventually.

Originally Posted by joshwex90
I've always wondered about this. I only drink tomato juice on a plane
I love tomato juice but have acid reflux so it's something I can't really tolerate.

At a recent Lufthansa event I attended, it was reported that tomato juice rivals German Bier in the air.

Regardless, you are not alone. A recent informal survey showed that the many people who drink tomato juice do not have any at home in the refrigerator.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Aug 29, 2014 at 4:13 am Reason: merge
Old Aug 28, 2014, 4:56 pm

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
Originally Posted by jspira
A recent informal survey showed that the many people who drink tomato juice do not have any at home in the refrigerator.
+1 here; I tend to ask for refreshments on board that I do not normally drink. Coke or Pepsi is another example of something I will not normally have at home, but will ask for on board an aircraft for the occasional treat.

SunLover
Old Aug 28, 2014, 8:22 pm
Suspended

Nice article. I enjoyed to see how the food is prepared.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 8:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SunLover
+1 here; I tend to ask for refreshments on board that I do not normally drink. Coke or Pepsi is another example of something I will not normally have at home, but will ask for on board an aircraft for the occasional treat.
A study prepared by Lufthansa showed that, in surveys, people typically indicate a preference for healthy airline food. However, once people are in the air, that preference mysteriously disappears and they go for the ice cream sundae.

Originally Posted by SkiUtah
Nice article. I enjoyed to see how the food is prepared.
Thanks. It was surprising to see how few people went on the kitchen tour who were at the actual event, i.e. just a handful.

There was a CNBC news crew that filmed the tour and used excerpts in a short news piece.

The woman who conducted the tour, Kathy, made it fun and gave excellent explanations about what was happening at each station.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Aug 29, 2014 at 7:21 am Reason: Merge
Old Aug 29, 2014, 7:29 pm

Great photos! I always imagined that airline food - even for first - was produced more by machines and automated processes. It is refreshing to see real people doing this although it does explain so why there are some inconsistencies in what is served from flight to flight.

What were the experimental foods at this gathering?
Old Aug 30, 2014, 8:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TofuNinja
Great photos!
Thank you.

Originally Posted by TofuNinja

What were the experimental foods at this gathering?
There were several that stood out in my mind. The first was the short ribs in a hoisin sauce. This was first of all a good combination and, second of all, it was excellent. The second was a bit of a work-in-progress: mac and cheese. The idea was to serve it in a bread crumb to keep the mac and cheese from becoming too hard or overcooked. That part worked. What they served, however, had way too much breading and that overwhelmed the taste of the mac and cheese. The executive chef graciously accepted my feedback on this and said he would try with far less breading.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 9:12 pm

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Thank you.

There were several that stood out in my mind. The first was the short ribs in a hoisin sauce. This was first of all a good combination and, second of all, it was excellent.
I find that hoisin sauce sauce to be gross and overpowering on the short ribs. I had these on two flights recently, and they were best when the sauce was served on the side, although that did make for a drier rib. I don't understand why couldn't they just use a brown gravy that would naturally arise from regular preparation of short ribs.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 8:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 1kBill
I find that hoisin sauce sauce to be gross and overpowering on the short ribs. I had these on two flights recently, and they were best when the sauce was served on the side, although that did make for a drier rib. I don't understand why couldn't they just use a brown gravy that would naturally arise from regular preparation of short ribs.
Short ribs as far as I know are generally prepared with some kind of sauce. I'm not sure I understand how a gravy would, as you put it, naturally arise from preparing them. That notwithstanding, I am a short ribs fan and I liked the dish served at the event as did seemingly everyone there.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 8:13 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
I'm quite certain that the catering service wants to do the best it can with the budget. But your point is spot on - it all comes down to budget eventually.
Yes it does. It's amazing the difference in product - coming from the same kitchens at the same airport - that one will experience depending on the airline they choose...

The meals on UA come from the same kitchens as SQ/CX/NH/EK at many airports - but the quality level isn't nearly the same. You would all be amazed at what an extra $2.00 USD will buy in this industry for a J meal....
Old Aug 31, 2014, 9:13 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
A study prepared by Lufthansa showed that, in surveys, people typically indicate a preference for healthy airline food. However, once people are in the air, that preference mysteriously disappears and they go for the ice cream sundae.
Sure, once you've attempted to eat a horrible dinner entree and left half of it on the plate, you need something to save the meal. If I got an excellent dinner entree with a sufficient portion, I'd probably turn down the sundae because I was full.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 1:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by eng3
Sure, once you've attempted to eat a horrible dinner entree and left half of it on the plate, you need something to save the meal. If I got an excellent dinner entree with a sufficient portion, I'd probably turn down the sundae because I was full.
That wasn't really the point I was trying to make nor the rational behind what I was saying.

First, on a long flight, people have time to eat more and they do, even if they have a good entree.

Second, my point was that people's intentions of what they want to eat ("healthy") disappear once they order their actual meals. Dessert was just an example.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 1:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM | Marriott LTT | National Car EE
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
How am I supposed to sleep tonight???

ahhaahahahahahahahahahahahah

unfortunately i have to remind myself not to opt for this when breakfast service comes through. in my memory the PMCO version of this was much better, or am i totally deluding myself here.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 8:56 pm

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Short ribs as far as I know are generally prepared with some kind of sauce. I'm not sure I understand how a gravy would, as you put it, naturally arise from preparing them. That notwithstanding, I am a short ribs fan and I liked the dish served at the event as did seemingly everyone there.
Short ribs need to be cooked "long and slow" in a liquid after being seared in order to tenderize them. Otherwise they will tun out like little beef-flavored rocks. That cooking liquid can easily be turned into a flavorful sauce. And reheating them after the initial preparation can actually enhance the tastiness (as long as they aren't "cooked" again.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.