Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United flight diverted over seat recline issue

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2014, 3:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MP Ag, former 1K

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/cops-c...205741388.html

. . .

The fight started when the male passenger, seated in a middle seat of row 12, used the Knee Defender to stop the woman in front of him from reclining while he was on his laptop, according to a law enforcement official with knowledge of the situation who spoke on condition of anonymity because they are not authorized to speak.

A flight attendant asked him to remove the device and he refused. The woman then stood up, turned around and threw a cup of water at him, the official says. That's when United decided to land in Chicago. The two passengers were not allowed to continue to Denver.

Both passengers were sitting in United's Economy Plus section, the part of the plane that has four more inches of legroom than the rest of coach

. . .

Badly behaved and over entitled Elite flyers?

Seems a bit much to refuse to remove the knee defender thing even after asked to remove the gadget. Then the cup of water from the other flyer, also not exactly in the book of etiquette.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by davewang202
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/cops-c...205741388.html

. . .

The fight started when the male passenger, seated in a middle seat of row 12, used the Knee Defender to stop the woman in front of him from reclining while he was on his laptop, according to a law enforcement official with knowledge of the situation who spoke on condition of anonymity because they are not authorized to speak.

A flight attendant asked him to remove the device and he refused. The woman then stood up, turned around and threw a cup of water at him, the official says. That's when United decided to land in Chicago. The two passengers were not allowed to continue to Denver.

Both passengers were sitting in United's Economy Plus section, the part of the plane that has four more inches of legroom than the rest of coach

. . .

Badly behaved and over entitled Elite flyers?

Seems a bit much to refuse to remove the knee defender thing even after asked to remove the gadget. Then the cup of water from the other flyer, also not exactly in the book of etiquette.
It is a crime to use the Knee Defender. You are disabling part of the equipment on an airplane. Further, he refused the FA's instruction. She is a **tch for throwing the water. He should go to jail.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Heading to the kitchen to make a bucket of popcorn...
Old Aug 25, 2014, 3:53 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Both pax are at fault.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by Tchiowa
It is a crime to use the Knee Defender.
Uhh, no. It's not. From the article:

"The Federal Aviation Administration leaves it up to individual airlines to set rules about the device. United Airlines said it prohibits use of the device, like all major U.S. airlines."

It's against United rules to use it, but that doesn't make it a crime. United doesn't decide what is and isn't a crime.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 3:54 pm

Seems to me that both should have been arrested. Neither tossing water nor refusing to comply with a lawful order of flight crew is proper - nor lawful - behavior.

That said, I'd be quite happy if airlines were to only offer non-reclining seats and were to also prohibit the use of laptops and other gadgets. Flying is no place to do work. Enjoy flying itself. Enjoy time away from electronic gadgets. Read a book, write a poem enjoy the clouds.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 3:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
.....but it is a crime to refuse to follow the orders of a crew member (when those orders are appropriate).
Old Aug 25, 2014, 3:57 pm

Programs: The Marina. Comic Relief. UA 1K and 1MM. MacBook Pro.
It would have been more apropos / ironic to throw the SkyMall catalog.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 3:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MP Ag, former 1K
Originally Posted by berto714

"The Federal Aviation Administration leaves it up to individual airlines to set rules about the device. United Airlines said it prohibits use of the device, like all major U.S. airlines."

It's against United rules to use it, but that doesn't make it a crime. United doesn't decide what is and isn't a crime.
A blast from the past.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...a-flights.html
Old Aug 25, 2014, 4:03 pm
Suspended

Would the FA's order to remove the device have been considered important to safety of flight? If anything, a non-reclined seat would help in an emergency or evacuation. How does removing the Knee Defender help safety (which is the FA's main duty)?
Old Aug 25, 2014, 4:16 pm
TGR

Programs: Mileage Plus Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Flubber2012
Would the FA's order to remove the device have been considered important to safety of flight? If anything, a non-reclined seat would help in an emergency or evacuation. How does removing the Knee Defender help safety (which is the FA's main duty)?
Well, if it's preventing the recline, it's also forcing the tray table to be down.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 4:22 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
The knee defender guy should be arrested for disobeying crew orders. He could also press charges against the woman.

I actually think the reclining seats are a little dangerous because no one ever looks behind them before reclining. I've leaned forward to get something from my laptop bag under the seat and had the seat back slammed into my head. It only startled me, but I let out a scream and curse so the idiot in front of me at least (hopefully) felt bad.

I wish UA would compromise...recline all the seats back half way and lock them.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 4:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Delta Plat, AA Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Courtesy Card
They are both at fault - one for disobeying crew member instructions, the other for being a buffoon.

Always nice when an episode of Jersey Shore breaks out on flights out of EWR.

Originally Posted by Indelaware
That said, I'd be quite happy if airlines were to only offer non-reclining seats and were to also prohibit the use of laptops and other gadgets. Flying is no place to do work. Enjoy flying itself. Enjoy time away from electronic gadgets. Read a book, write a poem enjoy the clouds.
Not everyone likes flying. Some people are not on mileage runs and have to do real work. Outside of FlyerTalk, the world of flying is very different. No excuse for what this fellow did, however.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by JBord
...I wish UA would compromise...recline all the seats back half way and lock them.
Put a governor on the recline mechanism. The fact that some rather inconsiderate/ignorant folks recline at warp speed seems to be a key factor.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 4:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by berto714

Uh. Yes, it is.

The FAA has zippo to do with this.

Federal criminal law requires passengers to obey the lawful orders of the crew. UA prohibits the device. The FA was authorized to issue the order and Mr. Middle committed a crime. Whether the FBI pursues an investigation and the U.S. Attorney chooses to prosecute, is a different question.

Ms. Water committed an assault aboard an aircraft. She too committed a crime. Same thing respecting the prosecution.

Hopefully UA will ban both from flying UA and pursue Mr. Middle for damages associated with the cost of diverting the flight. If you do this just once in a while, you can actually modify bad behavior.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.