Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Beta testing new IFE devices

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2014, 8:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Flew on one of these beta test A320's for the first time today. The FA's announced that it would be available once we reached cruising altitude, and I turned to my seat mate and was like "ha, I'll believe it when I see it."

I will admit, I ate my words. Flipped open the iPad, launched unitedwifi and the streaming worked pretty brilliantly. Selection was the same content as what was on my 787 flight earlier in the day. The only issue I encountered was that the app didn't seem to like it when I paused, as it would not resume when I hit play. I would have to exit the video, re-select it and scroll to where I had last left off.

That said, I was impressed and look forward to the completed roll out.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 9:58 pm

Programs: AA EP, CM PP, AV GM, UA Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Accor Plat
I have a 4 month old MacBook Pro that I keep upgraded, including the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox and Safari. With several UA flights booked for the remainder of the year, I'm concerned that I won't have the right plug-in if I should have the chance to check this out.

Having read through all the posts, I may have missed it, but I can't find where anyone specifies what plug-in would be required. If any of you know, please share. Those of us who have yet to find out would appreciate the opportunity to download the app before we find ourselves in the position of some here who say they have been unable to view the movies on their laptops.

Thanks in advance, fellow FTers!
Old Aug 28, 2014, 10:20 pm

Originally Posted by KenInEscazu
Having read through all the posts, I may have missed it, but I can't find where anyone specifies what plug-in would be required. If any of you know, please share. Those of us who have yet to find out would appreciate the opportunity to download the app before we find ourselves in the position of some here who say they have been unable to view the movies on their laptops.
The DRM plugin is available for download via the onboard wifi; it does not require a paid internet connection (the file is likely stored locally). So long as your browsers are up-to-date at the time of flight, just follow the prompts to install the plugin after takeoff, and you'll be good to go.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 11:53 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
Had this on my flight last Friday. But the movie library was old and boring. Contained none of the current releases.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 2:21 am

Programs: UA 1K
Beta testing new IFE devices

I like the new PDE. It sure beats looking up at a small screen with blurry images for several hours. But I have to agree with Buster: more current movie selections needed. Remember to bring your devices fully charged in case there are no electrical outlets.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 7:15 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
I experienced it for the first time on my flight from Austin to SFO last night. I had very low expectations, and was pleasantly surprised. The streaming was flawless, and the picture quality was very high. I watched a few episodes of the House of Cards.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 11:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Just tried this on a 320 SFO-LAX this morning. Impressive. Very easy to use through the mobile app, nice selection of titles, flawless stream to my iPhone. Way better than Delta Connect (which I tried last weekend) in every respect.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 3:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K, UA MM, Marriott Platinum
I admit to being less than a geek when it comes to electronic devices. I have no music or movies downloaded to my phone or laptop. I use a Sony Vaio. Will it be of any use on my flight to HNL in the next 10 days, should we have the beta capability? I see everyone refering to their iPads or iPhones. I don't have either! My phone is Android.

Do I supply my own earphones for this new beta??? I have a pair that are years old, but still work. Can't wear earbuds. They won't stay in my ears!
Old Aug 30, 2014, 12:11 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP
Originally Posted by KenInEscazu

I wrote that is less than one minute. Do they seriously not have someone capable of clear communication in charge of communicating with their customers?
Well said!!^

It really astonishes me how those who use "corporate speak" all day (presumably with the deliberate goal of obfuscation) suddenly find themselves needing to actually communicate an important and relatively straightforward concept to their customers. It seems that they cannot break the habit they have so carefully practiced and leave us all needing to re-read the "message" () a number of times before we think we've got it.

Lurker
Old Aug 30, 2014, 5:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by sim510

Do I supply my own earphones for this new beta??? I have a pair that are years old, but still work. Can't wear earbuds. They won't stay in my ears!
We had it on my flight from LAX-ORD today. There were no headphones in the seatback pocket, so you should bring your headphones.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 7:28 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold
What are their plans with respect to content? I've noticed that the streaming selection is older than the AVOD selection. I've read that studios would be hesitant to allow streaming for newer titles because of the increased risk of piracy.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 7:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by smxflyer
What are their plans with respect to content? I've noticed that the streaming selection is older than the AVOD selection. I've read that studios would be hesitant to allow streaming for newer titles because of the increased risk of piracy.
On which aircraft? They were streaming new releases on my 320 on Friday.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 11:03 pm

Programs: UA 1k 1MM, VA G
Just got off an A320 SFO-LAX
Streaming was Boarding to Gate with no interruptions
I just managed to finish off MIB2 during the flight and was quite happy with how well the app worked

It was IMHO a better experience then on a DirectTV aircraft
Old Sep 1, 2014, 8:04 am

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
Had access to the Streaming on A320 DEN-RNO last night. Worked perfectly. I took some screenshots and will post a bit later.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 8:15 am

Programs: UA Gold MM / AS MVP Gold
Android

Any news on Android support?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.