Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Despite lots of J availability, UA won't reroute to *A in J During Oversold Condition

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Despite lots of J availability, UA won't reroute to *A in J During Oversold Condition

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2014, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP

On a paid P fare on oversold UA SFO-FRA today. Looking for volunteers. Despite lots of Business seats on LH/LX/SK, UA will only rebook into Y. Odd.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Aug 23, 2014 at 3:58 pm Reason: added details to thread title
Old Aug 23, 2014, 2:36 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by zrs70
On a paid P fare on oversold UA SFO-FRA today. Looking for volunteers. Despite lots of Business seats on LH/LX/SK, UA will only rebook into Y. Odd.
Was this a real "P" or the pseudo "P" (-UP)?

Was Business oversold or economy oversold?
Old Aug 23, 2014, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA

Whole flight oversold. It's a real P. But they explained that even if I had full C/J, they would only rebook into Y.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA

Faux Ps are solely domestic (or non BF) IIRC.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 2:52 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Whole flight oversold. It's a real P. But they explained that even if I had full C/J, they would only rebook into Y.
If only economy overbooked, it would not make a lot of sense to buy business fares on other airlines to free up economy seats (after op-up'ing someone to your newly freed business seat).

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
I think some non-BF Americas flights (international, no domestic) have had the fare Ps but I think you are right it has not been BF flights.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 2:54 pm

Programs: UA GS
Oversold where, in economy? Are you saying they were offering a voucher, and offering to rebook on another carrier in Y?

If Y was what was oversold this would make sense.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by villox
Oversold where, in economy? Are you saying they were offering a voucher, and offering to rebook on another carrier in Y?

If Y was what was oversold this would make sense.
Per my post above (but admittedly not in my op) oversold in all cabins. I am on a paid P fare. But UA was saying regardless of paid cabin, the rebook is into Y.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Per my post above (but admittedly not in my op) oversold in all cabins. I am on a paid P fare. But UA was saying regardless of paid cabin, the rebook is into Y.
Well, the correct response is "screw you UA" of course. I think they take people for fools these days.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 3:16 pm

Programs: BA Gold, UA 2MM, Hyatt Globalist, Columbia Record & Tape Club Triple Diamond VIP
Only if you let them

Well, the correct response is "screw you UA" of course. I think they take people for fools these days.
Anyone IDB'd should be rebooked into the same cabin they were traveling in. United can only screw you if you let them. Don't. They will certainly try.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 3:16 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Sounds like another example of UA following DL.

Last month I was on a C ticket on DL to Asia, albeit an award ticket. Missed the connection to NRT at LAX due to a flight delay.

DL gave me two options: wait for the flight the next day or they would protect me on another carrier--in Y.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 3:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K
That's foolish of them but if they can get enough volunteers with this strategy, good for them. If this strategy means they don't get enough volunteers and have to IDB people, bad form (and probably not money-making?).

I watched DL at BOS manage an oversale situation by paging a bunch of pax who had connecting flights and offering to put them on an earlier-arriving nonstop for free, hooray! They got plenty of pax via this $0 offer, everyone won.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 4:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Latin America routes also see lots of economy UPs.

There are also P and Zs that book into A TATL and TPAC.

Note that UP fares do not book solely into P. you can find UPs that book into any front cabin code, including F and C.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Always Flyin
Sounds like another example of UA following DL.

Last month I was on a C ticket on DL to Asia, albeit an award ticket. Missed the connection to NRT at LAX due to a flight delay.

DL gave me two options: wait for the flight the next day or they would protect me on another carrier--in Y.
Looks like UA isn't the only airline playing us for fools, apparently.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Bonehead
Looks like UA isn't the only airline playing us for fools, apparently.
While we all like to think we'd be treated as well while on an award ticket as a paid one - the OP was on a paid biz fare, and the follow-up example was an award. Not a true comparison.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
While we all like to think we'd be treated as well while on an award ticket as a paid one - the OP was on a paid biz fare, and the follow-up example was an award. Not a true comparison.
Many/most here would disagree with the premise that an award isn't a paid ticket...it's just a different currency. Not sure if the airlines agree with the FlyerTalkers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.