Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

what's the point in signing to the explorer card?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2014, 11:22 am
Original Poster

I was about to get the explorer card to earn premier qualifying dollars, but its scam. You dont earn pqd with it at least you purchase a ticket through United. You just get standard reward points everytime you shop. What's the point of getting the explorer card? Has anyone ever tried to get the representative to sign you up for the presidential card instead. That one I am most interested in right now because you have unlimited lounge visit.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 11:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by rusty813
I was about to get the explorer card to earn premier qualifying dollars, but its scam.
No, it's not. Nobody ever promised any such thing.

You dont earn pqd with it at least you purchase a ticket through United.
Why would you expect otherwise?

What's the point of getting the explorer card?
For us, it's all about upgrading award tickets.

Has anyone ever tried to get the representative to sign you up for the presidential card instead.
That card is gone, but you can apply for the United Club Card.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Well, the card does nothing for me, but it's an easy 50k sign up bonus so there you go.

Gotta make up for reduced future RDM earning somehow.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 11:27 am

I was about to get the explorer card to earn premier qualifying dollars, but its scam. You dont earn pqd with it at least you purchase a ticket through United. You just get standard reward points everytime you shop. What's the point of getting the explorer card? Has anyone ever tried to get the representative to sign you up for the presidential card instead. That one I am most interested in right now because you have unlimited lounge visit.
They don't offer the presidential plus card anymore.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 9:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Well, the card does nothing for me, but it's an easy 50k sign up bonus so there you go.

Gotta make up for reduced future RDM earning somehow.
the 50k is just reward points not pqd or pqm, which i can earn with the airline, i am flying intersland with in hawaii. there no point to pay high interested with a credit card that offers no benefits to people who dont have the option to fly united.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 10:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
the 50k is just reward points not pqd or pqm, which i can earn with the airline
You can earn PQD and PQM with the airline, too! (In fact, that's generally the only way.)

there no point to pay high interested with a credit card that offers no benefits to people who dont have the option to fly united.
I'm having trouble parsing this into English, but if you're concerned with the interest rate, I really recommend you don't get into reward cards. Reward cards are best for people who pay in full every month because they never have good interest rates. And if the card isn't right for you, it's not right. I'm sure there are plenty of other cards that would be a better fit.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 10:00 pm

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
the 50k is just reward points not pqd or pqm, which i can earn with the airline, i am flying intersland with in hawaii. there no point to pay high interested with a credit card that offers no benefits to people who dont have the option to fly united.
Most folks don't pay "high interested" -- or in fact any "interested" -- in connection with the card, but rather pay off the balance in full during the grace period. If you put all your expenses on the card, it's a great way to earn tens of thousands of extra miles per year with no effort.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 10:02 pm

The 50k bonus is huge for me as it gives me just enough to upgrade an upcoming international trip for me and my wife.

In retrospect, perhaps I should've gone for the chase Sapphire plus and spent the remainder to reach 50k but still the point remains, some people out there do value those 50k points even if it doesn't add to your status with the airline
Old Aug 24, 2014, 10:32 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Premier Gold
While this isn't exactly "earning PQD", spending $10K in a year on a Chase/United card gives you a PQD waiver (with the exception of 1K status).
Old Aug 24, 2014, 10:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by maduarte
While this isn't exactly "earning PQD", spending $10K in a year on a Chase/United card gives you a PQD waiver (with the exception of 1K status).
You need to spend $25K in a year to get the PQD waiver (up until plat only). Spending $10K will get you the earned reward miles for using the card, but no waiver of anything.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 11:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
There's no scam. United/Chase tells you what you get with the card. Failure to dislike the terms doesn't mean it's a scam. The only UC in the Islands is in the Diamond Head wing at HNL, at the other end of the airport from Inter-island and commuter terminals. If that's the main reason for getting a card (and you don't fly UA much), it seems pointless. You would probably do better w the HA/FHB/Barclays MasterCard and HA Premier Club membership.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Aug 25, 2014 at 12:11 am
Old Aug 25, 2014, 12:11 am

Programs: GS, 3 MM, Hilton Diamond
Ha

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
There's no scam. United/Chase tells you what you get with the card. Failure to dislike the terms doesn't mean it's a scam. The only UC in the Islands is in the Diamond Head wing at HNL, at the other end of the airport from Inter-island and commuter terminals. If that's the main reason for getting a card, it seems pointless. You would probably do better w the HA/FHB/Barclays MasterCard and HA Premier Club membership.
Have you ever spent time in the HA club? Not impressive in my book.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 12:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by nigos
Have you ever spent time in the HA club? Not impressive in my book.
Yes, but why bother going to the UC for inter-island flights? Membership is a lot cheaper than UC. Unless OP plans on eating breakfast daily at UC, the idea of acquiring a UC membership when your flights are mostly inter-island borders on just plain dumb.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 12:56 am

Programs: GS, 3 MM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Yes, but why bother going to the UC for inter-island flights? Membership is a lot cheaper than UC. Unless OP plans on eating breakfast daily at UC, the idea of acquiring a UC membership when your flights are mostly inter-island borders on just plain dumb.
I think sitting in the terminal or better yet one of the better restaurant is better than the HA club which makes the UC club look great by comparison. Frankly, I would not bother with either lounge unless it were free.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 10:12 pm
Original Poster

well i dont travel offer, but when i do go the mainland is useful to have. Your paying 500 dollars a year to use the lounge twice, thats a waste of money. I was a member of continental airlines, and it said to see what united has done to such a great airline with great customer service. United destory continental reputation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.