PQD how will this play out for 2015?

Old Aug 23, 2014, 7:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AA Gold, Marriott Gold
PQD how will this play out for 2015?

Hi Everyone,

Recently I took a flight from PHL to PEK on a business class ticket I purchased through Vayama (the ticket was published at $400 higher on United.com). It was $5070 in airfare and another ~$500 in taxes see below. So, I flew the flights and they will not credit me with PQD's only PQM's.

This really irks me, I have already flown 90k miles as Chairman on USAir on Oneworld (so Emerald status will easily happen) and I've flown ~70k on United. I could easily hit 1k on United and fly 125k on Oneworld this year, I still have trips to Tokyo and Beijing left, with possibly another trip to Shanghai and multiple trips to Europe.

The question is, does anyone really understand how the PQD work and in 2015 would a ticket like this not qualify for miles? This is exactly the kind of thing that really stops me from flying an airline, it is not like I flew across the US for 130 USD, I paid a lot for this ticket and think about it, there policy is that they will have the lowest price or they will match the price and give you $100 dollars. I guess some people who travel for leisure will waste their time calling but if they really want people who spend money on tickets then they better rethink this policy.

I've only started flying them this year since US left *A but I'm finding that oneworld is probably better so I'm wondering what other FF's thoughts are on this. Thanks for taking the time to post your thoughts.

1 Adult(s) $ 5,070.00
Taxes and agent-imposed Fees $ 441.75
Total $ 5,511.75 USD
United Airlines $ 5,511.75 USD
Old Aug 23, 2014, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
If they are not crediting PQDs, its likely a bulk fare. There's a huge thread on that issue, with many unhappy about it (as some have to book through corporate TAs, for example, who may or may not be using bulk fares for any given trip).

As for 2015 - PQMs and PQD will accumulate the same way as this year. Assuming you are talking about RDMs for travel in March and later 2015 - UA has already been clear on how they will handle this on some specialty fares, presumably including bulk fares. It is based on distance, as it is today, as well as fare class - lower fare classes will earn 50% of mileage flown. Details of which will earn what is available on the mileageplus web site describing the changes - and in the FAQs.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 8:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I guess this answers the question that came up in another thread about whether a cheap Vayama fare was a bulk fare. It is.

UA wants you to buy your tickets through UA. If purchased through any other channel, there's going to be a risk it won't qualify for PQD's.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 8:31 am
Original Poster

Thanks, it was hardly a cheap fare... I could have flown Air Canada for 4200 USD dollars directly through Air Canada but now I understand, it was likely a bulk fare. I guess being loyal doesn't pay... so why be loyal.

I think this is absolutely counterproductive, they want business travelers but which business buys their tickets directly on their website? Maybe some will stay loyal, but I know I spend easily 75k a year on airline tickets and if they want to put so many restrictions on this, they won't see any of it moving forward.

I do appreciate everyone's quick response, I'll take it up with United.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 8:51 am

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by emcampbe
If they are not crediting PQDs, its likely a bulk fare. There's a huge thread on that issue, with many unhappy about it
Originally Posted by Kacee
I guess this answers the question that came up in another thread about whether a cheap Vayama fare was a bulk fare. It is.
You may have abandoned that thread too soon. Look at the last page of posts - United is crediting PQD for bullk fares now (or at least the did last month).
Old Aug 23, 2014, 10:27 am
Original Poster

I'll let everyone know how this turns out.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 10:45 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by griftsno1capper
I guess being loyal doesn't pay... so why be loyal.
You were "loyal" with where you put your butt in the seat, but not with the wallet you were sitting on.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 10:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JVPhoto
You were "loyal" with where you put your butt in the seat, but not with the wallet you were sitting on.
I think you should clarify, the wallet spent the money to buy a ticket on UA. They get the money I spent minus a small fee vayama makes.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 11:30 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by griftsno1capper
I think you should clarify, the wallet spent the money to buy a ticket on UA. They get the money I spent minus a small fee vayama makes.
But not AS MUCH money they could have made via UA.com since you bought a bulk fare ticket from a Vayama.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 2:00 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
You may have abandoned that thread too soon. Look at the last page of posts - United is crediting PQD for bullk fares now (or at least the did last month).
As I recall, two posters reported receiving retroactive credit. Others reported that their bulk tickets still show as ineligible.

And UA recently amended the PQD rules to specifically exclude bulk fares:

Certain specialty tickets, including but not limited to unpublished, consolidator/bulk, group, tour and opaque fares, do not earn PQD.

IMO, anyone who buys a ticket through a consolidator should expect PQD ineligible. And perhaps get a pleasant surprise if it credits.

I'm past debating whether the rules are fair or make sense or are being consistently applied. If you sign on with UA, you sign on for some measure of this nonsense.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 5:58 am
Original Poster

here was there answer

"Were always glad to hear from Premier Platinum members like you. Thanks for writing.

The ticket is not eligible for PQD accrual as your travel agency booked it from their bulk ticket pricing.

Starting in 2015, a Platinum member will earn 9 miles per $1 spent on your airfare.

We appreciate you taking the time to contact us."

So I get it on the bulk ticket side, they like it less. Still, if it was 4500 on an airline ticket, I should get credit for it. This is just one way to upset its customers, I could easily spend 75k a year with United and end up with 5000 PQD's and gold if I flew 250k miles per year with them (which is real for me).

I don't write the entire travel policy (although my company makes major exceptions for me since I'm at a certain level in the organization and travel to Asia 4-5x times per year and Europe 10-12x). My goodness, is it really that almost all US Airlines have gotten to the point where they can't see how Asian and European Airlines are just that much better?

Anyhow, thanks for everyone's comments, it is a shame but I think this will definitely push me over to Air Canada for Asia travel, their business class is always better and the fare is about 1k less for me on average. It is a shame Cathay is so far away from my location (16 hours to HKG with a 1:50AM departure), rarely does that sound appealing to me but you do travel well with them.

Travel safe.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.