Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Can I merge two separate reservations from A->B and B->C into A->C thus skipping B

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can I merge two separate reservations from A->B and B->C into A->C thus skipping B

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2014, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP

How's that for an ambiguous title? I'm open to other ideas for how it could have been clearer!

I have a paid business (Z class) ticket to fly B-C-Europe. I have a separate positioning ticket (discount Y) to fly A-B.

Ideally, rather than flying A-B-C-Europe, I would like to fly A-C-Europe.

I have no bags to check.

Do I have any leg to stand on to try to bypass B?

Last edited by goalie; Aug 22, 2014 at 2:27 pm Reason: Better thread title
Old Aug 22, 2014, 2:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Unlikely to work.

I booked a STL-IAH-LHR and ended up with a need to be in CLE, so I ended up with two separate UA tickets CLE-STL and STL-IAH-LHR.

The CLE-STL sector posted a significant delay. Agents at CLE understood the risk of misconnect but insisted I'd have to go to STL and sort things out; they were totally uninterested in touching the longhaul ticket and booking me on, say, CLE-IAH-LHR. Perfectly reasonable under the contract of carriage. Things worked out fine.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 2:29 pm

I think this would require heroics that basically no agent will undertake.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 2:45 pm

Programs: Lots
It's doable and I've had it done a few times. You'll need a really great agent, and, ideally, some sort of risk of irrops/misconnect. Luckily, United is really good at that lately.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 2:53 pm

Programs: SAS EBD, QR Platinumr, HH Gold, Intercont Platinum Ambassador,CC Gold
I hold a very old example from the CO days.
Travelling on a heavy discounted Y ticket from MCO-EWR,
Award travel from EWR-CPH-OSL.

I was advised to check bags - that way the team in EWR, knew about the delay and I was treated regular IRR/OPS.

Ended up MCO-EWR-FRA-CPH-OSL and then EVE (EWR-FRA) with only 4 pax in the Business First compartment (other 3 danish chefs), my god - I believe they opened 20+ bottles of wine on that trip.

Happy Camping
Old Aug 22, 2014, 3:07 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mgcsinc
I think this would require heroics that basically no agent will undertake.
Most likely true.

I've had agents tackle problems like this before, but even pre-SHARES and the apparent scrutiny that agents are under for nearly all actions these days, it was not a sure thing.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by zrs70
How's that for an ambiguous title? I'm open to other ideas for how it could have been clearer!

I have a paid business (Z class) ticket to fly B-C-Europe. I have a separate positioning ticket (discount Y) to fly A-B.

Ideally, rather than flying A-B-C-Europe, I would like to fly A-C-Europe.

I have no bags to check.

Do I have any leg to stand on to try to bypass B?
Not going to happen. You're changing the origination in this case which would mean a reprice at current rates from the new origination city.

Actually what you're doing right now is against the rules. However unless you're doing this as a round trip with both tickets it won't matter.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Actually what you're doing right now is against the rules. However unless you're doing this as a round trip with both tickets it won't matter.
Why do you think what the OP is doing is against the rules? Can you cite the rule?

This is plainly not nesting to avoid a minimum stay.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by mgcsinc
Why do you think what the OP is doing is against the rules? Can you cite the rule?

This is plainly not nesting to avoid a minimum stay.
You're right. I had my thoughts backward on what he was trying to do. AAAs BBBs CCCs get confusing after a bit. I misread as being a throw-a-way.

However regardless the point on the reprice is correct. There's no way for him to combine the two without repricing. If they wanted to sell it at the price of the combined tickets they would have posted that price as the fare.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Originally Posted by flyerCO
You're right. I had my thoughts backward on what he was trying to do. AAAs BBBs CCCs get confusing after a bit. I misread as being a throw-a-way.

However regardless the point on the reprice is correct. There's no way for him to combine the two without repricing. If they wanted to sell it at the price of the combined tickets they would have posted that price as the fare.
OP here. In the olden days of poser tickets, agents could easily staple the coupons together and issue a boarding pass.

I say "easily" though there was obviously computer legwork to clean up the records.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 6:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Why not find out what it would cost to change the tickets, e.g., pay the change fee(s). It is possible that the reroute results in a lower fare and that reduces the impact of the fees. If the fare reduction is sufficient, it may be worth it.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 6:16 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
In this era of SHARES, I'd be amazed if you were able to get them to do this.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 4:29 pm

Programs: 1MM UA
change A-B-C to A-C

It didn't involve Europe, but I was able to do this once when B was under a waiver.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 4:34 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Often1
Why not find out what it would cost to change the tickets, e.g., pay the change fee(s). It is possible that the reroute results in a lower fare and that reduces the impact of the fees. If the fare reduction is sufficient, it may be worth it.
He probably would have booked that way to begin with-- this is not a rookie FT'er asking the question. @:-)

Also, you're talking about two change fees-- probably $200 + $300-$500. Maybe if the ticket were rebooked in fantasyland it would come out cheaper.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 5:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Ari
He probably would have booked that way to begin with-- this is not a rookie FT'er asking the question. @:-)

Also, you're talking about two change fees-- probably $200 + $300-$500. Maybe if the ticket were rebooked in fantasyland it would come out cheaper.
1. It doesn't say anything about that in the OP. More than likely that OP has had a change of plans and holds the wrong tickets for what he now needs.

2. Rare that UA imposes more than one change fee. Presume that's $300 and the fare has dropped, even a bit. Maybe it's worth $250 or less to OP.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.