Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United & Denver Reach Deal to Keep DEN a UA Hub Through 2035 (per DEN Biz Journal)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United & Denver Reach Deal to Keep DEN a UA Hub Through 2035 (per DEN Biz Journal)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2014, 11:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy BS, Hertz & Avis Pres

United Airlines and DIA reach deal to keep Denver a hub through 2035:
http://www.bizjournals.com/denver/bl...t&t=1408469873
Old Aug 19, 2014, 11:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Didn't CLE have a similar deal at one point? UA walked when the numbers said it made more sense to buy out the deal than fly the planes. :-:

The story also stops short of identifying just what it means to be "keeping a hub" there or what the "non-gate facilities" are which UA will be reducing at the facility.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Maybe there's more here than meets the eye of the Denver Business Journal, but the "deal" sounds perfectly meaningless. There's no quantitative definition of "hub," and no sign that this is any different from the assurances CLE received around merger-announcement time about UA's future there.

In any event an ironclad 21-year deal is impossible to make; who knows if UA will still be around by then, or what its network will look like if is.

This looks like a long-term gate lease deal with embedded options for UA to assign the obligation in the event of hardship, merger, strategy change, etc. Nothing more.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 12:01 pm

Programs: MileagePlus Gold
I would imagine that one of the significant non-gate facilities is probably the old CO hanger...makes sense since DEN isn't really an MX base or anything.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 12:05 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
DEN is needed in the United Network. Example, GEG, from ORD, IAH, EWR you need to go thru DEN. I'm surprised Boise get's nonstop mainline but GEG get's nothing from ORD.. Add, GEG to the routes that UA should fly from ORD..
Old Aug 19, 2014, 12:20 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by LASUA1K
DEN is needed in the United Network. Example, GEG, from ORD, IAH, EWR you need to go thru DEN. I'm surprised Boise get's nonstop mainline but GEG get's nothing from ORD.. Add, GEG to the routes that UA should fly from ORD..
There are a lot of cities in the west which aren't easily served from ORD or SFO for various reasons and thus where it doesn't make sense to connect anywhere but DEN. Of course, UA could just discontinue service to all of them...
Old Aug 19, 2014, 12:33 pm

Programs: DL BA Amex
Whenever the airline and the city have to sign an agreement to maintain the hub, its a bad sign!
Old Aug 19, 2014, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by bajrbajr
Whenever the airline and the city have to sign an agreement to maintain the hub, its a bad sign!
Suggest to read the article before coming to any conclusions.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 12:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LT Plt, Mets fan
If DIA is planning on restructuring its bond debt, it looks like they are going for a 20-year bond deal that will match duration with the 20+year lease term. Rates are relatively good now for this sort of product, and this probably allows DIA to take the principal balance remaining on the original deal and slow down the amortization a bit...in exchange for which UAL reduces its rent payments.

Win-win...
Old Aug 19, 2014, 12:56 pm

Programs: DL BA Amex
Originally Posted by aacharya
Suggest to read the article before coming to any conclusions.
I read the article, and have not come to any conclusion... I made an observation based on recent history.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by LASUA1K
Nobody can say what UA network flow will look like five years from now, never mind 10 or 20. 20 years ago I would never have predicted UA evacuating the northwest US. 10 years from now they may decide it's most prudent to shrivel back to fortresses SFO/EWR/IAH and abdicate everywhere else. Who knows?
Old Aug 19, 2014, 1:10 pm

ummm...

how did they evacuate the Northwest exactly? They've always flown to their hubs from SEA and PDX, with the oddball flight to JFK (that was 10+ years ago) and very recently to ANC as a tag from IAH. NRT was a flight to a hub, a hub that's being reduced as they increase service nonstop and fly over NRT to Asia. They found a partner to serve it, and they share revenue with the partner. The UA Express flying? All at risk flying by SkyWest, which SkyWest has chosen to get rid of as it gets out of the EMB-120 flying. I don't think UA is doing anything markedly different in the NW than they did before - Just flying to their hubs. This hyperbole gets a little ridiculous sometimes on this forum...

Originally Posted by BearX220
Nobody can say what UA network flow will look like five years from now, never mind 10 or 20. 20 years ago I would never have predicted UA evacuating the northwest US. 10 years from now they may decide it's most prudent to shrivel back to fortresses SFO/EWR/IAH and abdicate everywhere else. Who knows?
Old Aug 19, 2014, 1:11 pm

Programs: United, Delta, American
Do all hub airports have agreements with the hub airlines? Is there a penalty clause to allow for an early exit? If so, how much?
Old Aug 19, 2014, 1:12 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
When I saw thread title, was wondering if cited article was going to be from The Onion!
Old Aug 19, 2014, 1:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, SQ PPS, CX Silver, Accor Platinum, Marriott Gold, SPG Silver
I'm guessing any bankruptcy would allow UA to get out of this with no strings attached. Not trying to be fatalistic and say that will happen, but airlines (including UA if past history Is any indication) seem to run on a regular cycle of this over 15-20 years.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.