Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LHR to SFO Easier to transit LAX or IAH?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2014, 12:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K 2.7 MM
LHR to SFO Easier to transit LAX or IAH?

Flying back from LHR to SFO in Jan, I can route thru Houston or LAX: which is easier to go through Immigration/transfer to domestic? (I could also go through ORD but I assume in winter that is not good).

We will probably have a checked bag or two, do have Global Entry.

How long a connection is reasonable?
Old Aug 18, 2014, 12:33 pm

Programs: BA Silver, SQ Gold, MAR Plat, Hilton Gold
My home airport is IAH, but I have transited through LAX and can say honestly, it is a mess. Assuming you are flying UA, you would be through terminal E which is really new and quite nice. If you have global entry, the FIS building is reasonably quick as well.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
UA does ffer non-stop service on this route. But, given the two connections in the first post I'd choose IAH over LAX.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 12:37 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
I'd vote IAH because the 787 will have that "new plane smell"

Never connect INTL at LAX on UA, just through the TBIT....which is a haul if traveling onward to UA. IAH would be much better for transit.

No luck getting seats LHR-SFO?
Old Aug 18, 2014, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
LAX is way easier in this instance.

UA has its own customs processing facility in T7, you go through there, out the door, upstairs, and back through security. LAX-SFO will operate out of T7 (possibly T8), and it's at most a short, 5-minute walk.

The hodgepodge that is IAH is a mess in comparison. IAH have you arriving at E and you could go out of E or C, which could be a long walk or train ride.

Plus there are very frequent LAX-SFO flights, including on other carriers, so if something gets messed up, it's easier to get fixed up in LAX than IAH for this route.

LAX gets a bad rap for people having to change terminals (e.g., TBIT to one of the numbered terminals). That is not what's happening here.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by mmack
Flying back from LHR to SFO in Jan, I can route thru Houston or LAX: which is easier to go through Immigration/transfer to domestic? (I could also go through ORD but I assume in winter that is not good).

We will probably have a checked bag or two, do have Global Entry.

How long a connection is reasonable?
I would say IAH is more organized but can get just as busy as LAX. Someone who's done the LHR arrivals there will have to speak to how busy it will be at that time, that said GE should insulate you from that a bit.

Even without weather ORD is a bit of a pain since you have to arrive in the international terminal and take the train back to T1.

I don't mind EWR if the weather's cooperating, but in January that's a risk there too. It also increases your time on a domestic config .

Personally I'd just pay more for the direct.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
I'd do LAX - for the sheer number of flights between LAX and SFO.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Another vote for LAX. Customs is much tamer, as yours will be the only flight. Do you have Global Entry and TSA pre-check?
Old Aug 18, 2014, 12:54 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL Plat, Marriott Bonvoy LIfetime Titanium/SPG refugee, Hertz Prez, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by aacharya
I'd do LAX - for the sheer number of flights between LAX and SFO.
+1

So many ways to quickly fix a delay out of LAX!
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I personally much prefer IAH for international arrivals. Among other things, I really like to shower at the Termnial E UC. Though it's true you are likely to have a longer walk than you would at LAX.

Originally Posted by channa
Plus there are very frequent LAX-SFO flights, including on other carriers, so if something gets messed up, it's easier to get fixed up in LAX than IAH for this route.
I do agree with this comment and might choose the LAX connection on this basis alone.

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Preferred, Hertz PC, Hyatt Discoverist , Marriott Titanium
It's been a few years since I've transferred immigration at IAH but I recall it being much better than LAX. As echen explained the E terminal is a new and modern international arrivals hall.

LAX on the other hand is a cobbled together "mess" like echen said.

Even though the above is the case I would probably pick my route based on the plane I wanted to fly, upgrade seat availability and leaving/arriving times. With Global Entry all UA hubs have been pretty easy to transit as far as I'm concerned.

LHR-IAH you can get on the 787 which is nice but I would probably prefer the longer hop to LAX on the 777 and then the short hop to SFO. Vs the shorter int'l segment to IAH and then the 3.5+ hr flight to SFO on an A320/737.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 12:56 pm

Programs: UA GS
No doubt at all......LAX for the reasons cited above.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 1:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K and MM
As an SFO flyer, if I have to change planes on the way back to SFO, the farther the transit airport from SFO the better. When SFO has flow control due to low clouds, the short West Coast flights, including the frequent LAX/SFO flights bear the brunt of "control" and end up being delayed up to several hours. The international, transcon and longer flights are usually given priority over the short hops, so in this case, if flow control is in effect, IME, IAH-SFO would likely be less delayed than the LAX-SFO flights.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 1:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K 2.7 MM
Thanks everyone. I too would prefer the longer flight to LAX. The reason we're not taking the NS to SFO is the price goes from 3K to 6K.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 2:31 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM
Originally Posted by mmack
Thanks everyone. I too would prefer the longer flight to LAX. The reason we're not taking the NS to SFO is the price goes from 3K to 6K.
Then you're on a business class/ fully refundable ticket?

Then the solution is easy:

option #3: Same Day Change to Non-Stop flight that has open seats.

I'd book the LAX tix as a backup, considering you're likely sitting up front.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.