Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Getting to Europe on business / first saver

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Getting to Europe on business / first saver

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2014, 2:27 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by pinkhighlighter
I've set expert mode, but don't see fare classes when searching for flights.
you need to click on "Fare Class" or get a browser helper that does that automatically
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ilability.html
Old Aug 16, 2014, 3:29 pm

Programs: Mileageplus
Any secret sauce for finding United Metal Europe Award seats in Business/First?

I know most of you have probably experienced the frustration of United's points Devaluation. Unfortunately I still have a bunch of United miles and I am trying to book some international travel to Europe from Houston next Summer.

A few routes have Business first on Star Alliance partners for 70k each way.
But I was hoping to find some United awards for 55k.

Is there any method to United releasing Awards for United flights? I'm looking pretty far out, but I fear if I wait too long there will be nothing (as if there were anything now).

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Mike
Old Aug 16, 2014, 3:41 pm

There's some GF on UA mid-July from both SFO and IAD to FRA, but you're right, it's pretty dry out there.
Old Aug 16, 2014, 3:43 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
This is a common question and there is never a simple answer.

-- look frequently and early
-- try not be be married to a particular route / date
-- don't hesitate

There are not hard / fast rules on when or if award space will open up -- but it usually does.
There are mileage bookers out there willing to help your out for a fee.

Another good tip is find the TATL segments first and then add in the connecting segments. Try to start with the full round trip routing provides too opportunities for disappoint. Get the hard stuff first and then add on.
Old Aug 16, 2014, 4:24 pm

Programs: UA Plat, 2MM
In addition to the devaluation of miles required for partner flights under the present Mr Smisek, the number of Award tickets has been greatly reduced. I can get from Bangkok to Chicago on partner airlines, been can not get a flight from Chicago to Philadelphia. I think domestic Award is worse off that international, where at least you can fly other airlines. (I miss USAirways).

I think the destruction of the Award Program is just one more effort on the part of Mr Smisek to devalue UA. I think he is trying to do away with the program.
Old Aug 16, 2014, 5:26 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
The secret sauce is looking early, and looking often!
Old Aug 16, 2014, 5:55 pm

Programs: Mileageplus
Thank you for the advice.
I'm going to keep my eyes open.
Wonderful weekend to you all!
Old Aug 16, 2014, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
IMO pay the extra miles and enjoy the superior partner experience!
Old Aug 16, 2014, 9:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K, NW forever
I've been looking all year for a trip for 4 to Europe in October. IME O (saver F) inventory opens up in dribs and drabs, and I (saver C) never. I've gotten 3 O seats SFO-FRA and 1 O seat FRA-SFO, all at different times. ExpertFlyer used to be great for this...
Old Aug 17, 2014, 12:30 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott PP
Book Delta? Oh wait, I've been trying to use 225K+ miles there at saver levels for 6 years since I switched to UA from NW...
Old Aug 17, 2014, 5:51 am

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
the present rate for many is 0.019cpm
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...es-2014-a.html
That's the special kettle rate. If you have read any post on FT, UA detects this and changed the rate to $0.019.

If you have read this post, it's too late to get the kettle rate.
Old Aug 17, 2014, 5:58 am

Programs: American, Delta, JetBlue, United
Originally Posted by stoddmi
I know most of you have probably experienced the frustration of United's points Devaluation. Unfortunately I still have a bunch of United miles and I am trying to book some international travel to Europe from Houston next Summer.

A few routes have Business first on Star Alliance partners for 70k each way.
But I was hoping to find some United awards for 55k.

Is there any method to United releasing Awards for United flights? I'm looking pretty far out, but I fear if I wait too long there will be nothing (as if there were anything now).

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Mike
In the past few weeks I have been looking for award seats next June to fly WAS-INN. I have now booked on OS via VIE, but when looking I noticed that saver awards for the transatlantic segment were available only on OS and LH, but not on UA flights. I'm flying in Y so there's no price difference, and OS is my preference anyway, but I did find the pattern interesting.
Old Aug 17, 2014, 6:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by pinkhighlighter
Originally Posted by hughw
And are you aware for accelerator you can buy economy tickets several long flights, purchase the extra miles, wait a few hour until the miles show up in your account, and then cancel the tickets within the 24 hour free cancellation period?
Yes, that would be the plan if we went this route
Isn't this fraud?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 17, 2014 at 10:03 am Reason: repaired formatting
Old Aug 17, 2014, 9:45 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by enviroian
Isn't this fraud?
UA is very aware of this practice and so far is quite OK with it. Methinks they must be making money on selling miles, or they would have stopped it LOOOONG time ago @:-)
Old Aug 17, 2014, 9:55 am

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by enviroian
Isn't this fraud?
There are many example of UA/MP rescinding miles/benefits when something is cancelled or changed. This particular paid-for "benefit" is not one of them. Not a single person here has ever had miles purchased through accelerator nullified, far as I know. Clearly it's not a case of United thinking the miles should be nullified, since they do so elsewhere and not for this. Consider it a two-part purchase, with the accelerator miles being completely separate from the flight. You're only returning one of the items, not both.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.