Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Miles for AS Segment of Trip Booked via Google Flights?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2014, 1:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: United MileagePlus

Hello,

I recently booked a SFO-SEA roundtrip with Alaska and United on Google Flights. I booked the ticket with United, since i'm a Mileage Plus member, but I never received mileage credit or PQD credit for the Alaska Airlines flight. On the itinerary t said that I would earn 1300 or something miles in total as a MieagePlus member...

Has anyone had a similar experience? Will United ever credit the miles and PQD?

Thanks!
Old Jul 31, 2014, 1:36 am

Programs: UA, Hyatt
You can request the credit from United:
http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...ageCredit.aspx

Actually reading more of your post, you should only get credit on your United account for the United legs of your flight.

Any flights on Alaska will not be creditable towards United since they have no partnership (from what I know). You can setup an Alaska account and request credit for those legs if you want to get the miles.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jul 31, 2014 at 3:59 am Reason: merge
Old Jul 31, 2014, 1:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mjdth
Actually reading more of your post, you should only get credit on your United account for the United legs of your flight.

Any flights on Alaska will not be creditable towards United since they have no partnership (from what I know). You can setup an Alaska account and request credit for those legs if you want to get the miles.
Do you know if United will credit PQD?? It's under United 016xxxxxxx ticket number, plus I' only short PQD for Silver...
Old Jul 31, 2014, 2:19 am

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
To the OP - Welcome to FT.

You booked SFO-SEA-SFO with a combination of UA and AS? Why? UA and AS have no millage agreements. Where is your connection? Let me guess PDX?

I do not believe you will receive any millage credit on UA for AS flts. Please advise what flts you are taking? This should be non-stop on one carrier.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
You wont earn any UA miles or PQD for the AS operated flights. There is a long thread discussing this here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...e-pqd-pqm.html

If you have a receipt and the BP you can create an account at AS, DL or AA and submit for manual request for credit there
Old Jul 31, 2014, 11:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kettle1
To the OP - Welcome to FT.

You booked SFO-SEA-SFO with a combination of UA and AS? Why? UA and AS have no millage agreements. Where is your connection? Let me guess PDX?

I do not believe you will receive any millage credit on UA for AS flts. Please advise what flts you are taking? This should be non-stop on one carrier.
I was able to use google flights to book AS313 direct to Seattle and UA508 back to SFO. I chose AS since it had a more convenient arrival time in SEA than united and it was the exact same price...

I also figured since United was marketing the AS flight on their website that I would get PQM/PQD for the AS flight even without a mileage agreement. On top of that, when I was traveling SFO-JFK-ZRH last year I missed by connection in JFK and United rebooked me on an AA flight and I got mileage credit from united...
Old Jul 31, 2014, 11:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by LorenzMenendez
I also figured since United was marketing the AS flight on their website that I would get PQM/PQD for the AS flight even without a mileage agreement. On top of that, when I was traveling SFO-JFK-ZRH last year I missed by connection in JFK and United rebooked me on an AA flight and I got mileage credit from united...
If you had read the rules, you would know that UA only gives miles and PQD credit for flights operated by UA or its partners. AS is not a UA partner.

Rebooking during IRROPS is subject to different rules.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
I was able to use google flights to book AS313 direct to Seattle and UA508 back to SFO. I chose AS since it had a more convenient arrival time in SEA than united and it was the exact same price...

Your example is not germane to the issue. In that instance, you got ORC because you were supposed to fly UA.

There is no way to get miles from UA on that AS flight.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 11:43 am

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K MM, Subway Club Member

When you use Google Flights it just feeds the information to UA and UA generates (and prices the itinerary). UA isn't marketing the AK flight (it wouldn't show up if you searched on UA.com) UA's search engine won't suggest the AK (or other no partners) expect in certain circumstances and a link from Google Flights appears to be one of them. You could likely have called UA and asked them to do the same thing Google did for you.

It's actually pretty cool because you used to have to book via a travel agent (physical or on-line [aka Orbitz]) to get a multi-carrier itinerary with non-partners but I assume Google has worked something out with UA and other carriers to allow searches on Google to be passed on to the carrier's website for purchase.

UA can ticket on any airline with which it has a ticketing agreement. The ability for UA to issue tickets for travel on other carriers is completely unrelated to your ability to earn UA miles on the same.

UA, like most carriers, allow for mileage credit to be earned when irregular operations forces them to rebook you on another carrier. This only works because you were originally going to fly on their flight but then had to be rebooked due to a delay or cancelation. I.e. you would have earned UA miles if you flew the itinerary you purchased but you had to be rebooked due to some operational issue so UA gives you the miles you were supposed to earn.

As an aside: I use Google flights for all my searches these days. I think it's far superior than UA's own engine (filtering, granular criteria, more results) and allows for multi-carrier routings and comparison between carriers, days, and co-terminals. Google doesn't sell you anything they just link to UA so for all intents and purposes it's like you purchased the ticket on the UA website (ua.com club, phone servicing, on-line changes, etc) but with a much easier search process.

Last edited by kenn0223; Jul 31, 2014 at 11:48 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.