Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Advice: Vienna on UA, OS, LH? Econ or P?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2014, 7:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Gold

Really killing myself on this decision and decided to post here.

Have a PIT-VIE trip at end of August (I am in PIT). There are P fares for about $3k. I just did one of the $1500 TATL P sale trips a few weeks ago - but that was P class on UA - which gets the small COS bonus.

Only, UA doesn't fly to VIE - just gets close for short connecting flights. Can get LH or OS codeshares - and people rave about OS biz. But the kicker - P class on LH or OS would only get 100% miles. A lot of money to only get normal miles out of it.

So there's the question - do I do one of the ORD/EWR/IAD 1 stops on OS in P, or one of the various 2-stop routings, with the TATL legs on UA in P to at least get some chunk of COS bonus.

Note: I am in no danger of jumping from lowly silver to gold because of this decision, but it just seems wasteful to pick P on a non-UA partner even if service might be better. And - not sure whether the difference with OS is worth even worrying about any of this.

What would you guys do?

Similar/separate question, my wife is coming, and I am trying to figure out whether to buy her an H ticket with me and hope for a good buy up offer, redeem mileage award (only if I choose UA of course), convince a friend to gift me a GPU, redeem a ton more miles for an award (a few of the OS routes coming up for saver), etc.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 7:27 pm

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
With each additional leg, you run the risk of WX or a misconnect or an MX stopping you en route.

I would opt for Austrian (business class is great by the way) and enjoy the Kaffeehaus in the air.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
+1 - you're still getting an elite RDM bonus with OS...if you haven't done them before, it's a great experience.

I'm an Eiskaffee guy myself!
Old Jul 30, 2014, 7:35 pm

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by UA-NYC

I'm an Eiskaffee guy myself!
Well, in warmer months, yes, of course.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 7:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

OS in business, without a doubt.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by halls120
OS in business, without a doubt.
All day every day
Old Jul 30, 2014, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
This thread is an amazing testament of MP's power to distort the functioning of a market - or of why the best programs are operated by the worst airlines, and vice versa
Old Jul 30, 2014, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
This thread is an amazing testament of MP's power to distort the functioning of a market - or of why the best programs are operated by the worst airlines, and vice versa
Better stated, the power that MP used to have.

When big airline quality and FFP strength decline in tandem, less incentive to stay loyal.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 12:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
+1

I wouldn't spend ten seconds on this decision. OS for the win.

Ex-EWR or IAD so you can use the LH lounge.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 7:07 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
OS for sure, but if traveling solo, get a single seat if possible as I find the privacy lacking in the 2-wides
Old Jul 31, 2014, 8:08 am
Original Poster

(from OP)

thanks everyone for strong push.

Now problem is I can't find anything but standard award 'C' inventory on the Aug 31 return for my wife (a downside of being only silver), and its 2-stop flights on UA. Might wait a few more days -- 220k miles for this trip is too much.

And, flights went up to $3600. Oh well. next time.

Last edited by hscottm; Jul 31, 2014 at 8:16 am
Old Jul 31, 2014, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hscottm
Now problem is I can't find anything but standard award 'C' inventory on the Aug 31 return for my wife (a downside of being only silver), and its 2-stop flights on UA. Might wait a few more days -- 220k miles for this trip is too much.

And, flights went up to $3600. Oh well. next time.
Note that Silver has the same access to award space all the way up the ladder to 1K...higher status doesn't mean much here.

It won't show up on the UA site, but there is a single C award seat on SN BRU-JFK on that day.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 9:38 am
Original Poster

I thought PP and 1K both had more availability? Oh well. Still way above me and thanks for reply. I cant afford the C biz leg on SN (and wife doesnt want to fly on a different itinerary)
Old Aug 30, 2014, 4:48 pm
Original Poster

All - just wanted to say thanks for the prod to book and try OS. It was well worth it.

I waited too long to buy the $3k P ticket, so ended up buying a $2k economy ticket (u class) and then won smart upgrade bids each way ($500).

Btw, the OS smart upgrades book into P anyway so I ended up with the originally expected price.

A totally different experience than UA from a soft product perspective. As others have noted, I found the seat and tray a bit complex and cramped and agree with the comments on touch controls being too easy etc. but still overall better than UA.

Thanks again!
Old Aug 30, 2014, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by hscottm
All - just wanted to say thanks for the prod to book and try OS. It was well worth it.

I waited too long to buy the $3k P ticket, so ended up buying a $2k economy ticket (u class) and then won smart upgrade bids each way ($500).

Btw, the OS smart upgrades book into P anyway so I ended up with the originally expected price.

A totally different experience than UA from a soft product perspective. As others have noted, I found the seat and tray a bit complex and cramped and agree with the comments on touch controls being too easy etc. but still overall better than UA.

Thanks again!
^ Thanks for the update. Glad you liked OS!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.