Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Ticketed While Elite but Flying as General Member; What Benefits to Expect?

Old Jul 29, 2014, 11:49 pm
Original Poster

Hi All,
Quick question that I couldn't find the answer to on search.

If I book a ticket (Award or $) while I am MP Gold, but my status will expire before the flight (UA did not get any business from me so far this year) do I still get Premier Access at the time of the flight or is it based on status at the time of check in?

Thanks,

Sponge

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jul 30, 2014 at 3:45 am Reason: thread title did not make sense
Old Jul 30, 2014, 12:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ltspongebob
Hi All,
Quick question that I couldn't find the answer to on search.

If I book a ticket (Award or $) while I am MP Gold, but my status will expire before the flight (UA did not get any business from me so far this year) do I still get Premier Access at the time of the flight or is it based on status at the time of check in?

Thanks,

Sponge
Your day of flight benefits are going to be limited to those you are entitled to on the day of flight - so anything a non-elite gets. Any changes you want to make beforehand, will be based on your status at the time of the change.

The likely exception is if you select an E+ seat at booking, you will probably be able to keep that. That said, if the aircraft changes, etc., you will likely be moved back into E-. This can also happen if UA decides to do some sort of auto-sweep, although haven't seen this reported.
Old Aug 3, 2014, 2:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
YMMV but I know myself last year, (I switched to DL because of destinations, but have picked up UA status this year again) and a few co-workers this year got upgrades on tickets bought before going to zero status. I was told by a UA rep that the status gets marked on the ticket when you buy it, or if it needs re-ticketing. She pointed out though that this means no stand-by and your scheduled flights better make it, otherwise the re-ticketing will clear the status.

However I know officially that you should not be entitled to benefits,thus YMMV.
Old Aug 3, 2014, 5:13 am

Programs: UA 1K
I just flew BOS-LHR-MAN on BA with AA Platinum status at time of ticketing (DEC 13) - my status expired to zero in Feb.

I was able to access all BA lounges with just my BP with exec status marked on it, and my baggage allowance and exit row seating stuck.

Wrong airline/alliance - but just FYI :-)
Old Aug 3, 2014, 5:40 am

Programs: all
no benefits

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.