Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Crain's Article: UA to Up Performance by "Rebanking" ORD, IAH, DEN

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Crain's Article: UA to Up Performance by "Rebanking" ORD, IAH, DEN

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2014, 6:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
Regardless, most of the whining in this thread is about things inherent to banking, not UA's performance. Like "what will happen if weather hits the hub" or "will we need a new boarding process". All under the assumption that UA is the only one trying to bank hubs.
No one is denying that other airlines aren't also trying to bank. The point is, UA runs such a shoddy operation these days that such a decision deserves to be called into question. Who feels comfortable with UA actually trying to shorten connection times?

I don't recall the frenzy when AA/US announced they would. Ask any regular flyer of both airlines (or UA/DL dual flyers) - they run a tighter ship over there, so it's more believable.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 6:47 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
I woke up this morning drinking UA kool aid even though I'm flying WN today. Hopefully UA knows what it's doing. They have 3 flights within 90 minutes on STL-ORD, if they went from 14 Express a day to 4 mainline and 6 "bigger" rj's, I might consider flying UA in the midwest again.

Oh well, back to my WN flight, where wifi is free and it works.

People talking about WN bad on time performance, lots of it has to do with holding flights for people, especially last flight from MDW.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 7:05 am

Programs: 3.2MM AA, 1.4MM UA,StwdLftPlt
I am curious about minimum connection times. I have never done a comparison to see if there are airline differences at airports, but since airport websites publish the times, presumably the time is a result of negotiations among airport authorities/airlines? Some of them seem to be pushing reality-the 45 mn UA domestic to UA international at SFO sticks in my mind.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 7:52 am

Ask the facts.

Delta is the only one with a meaningfully superior reliability record.

In May, last BTS month available, AA and UA had identical 76% on-time records. Delta was at 84%.

For the quarter reported by the companies it was 80% AA, 76% UA.

You should be concerned about banking with AA if you are concerned about UA banking.

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
No one is denying that other airlines aren't also trying to bank. The point is, UA runs such a shoddy operation these days that such a decision deserves to be called into question. Who feels comfortable with UA actually trying to shorten connection times?

I don't recall the frenzy when AA/US announced they would. Ask any regular flyer of both airlines (or UA/DL dual flyers) - they run a tighter ship over there, so it's more believable.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 7:56 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by channa
Delta is far less interdependent than United these days. DL is more likely to fly a plane and crew out and back (e.g., ATL-FLL-ATL), whereas UA is more likely to fly them out and elsewhere (e.g., IAH-FLL-EWR).

Not saying this is always the case, but DL is less likely to have an issue at one hub airport ripple through completely unrelated flights elsewhere.
Which really is a page out of the old CO playbook in isolating the EWR hub, as delay-prone as it is.

The flow through the system is a direct result of UA's inability to achieve a joint flight attendant agreement, as crews are moved on longer, multi-leg (sometimes less productive) pairings in order to account for staffing shortages or overages at the various domiciles. Highly inefficient and no doubt contributing negatively to UAL's overall cost structure (and morale). At least we see a return to this strategy with the regional partners, where presumably consolidating and reducing the number of contract carriers at each hub will have a similar effect on flying patterns.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by DENviaLAX
As far as I know, regarding Denver at least, they're just trying to even things out more throughout the day, so the peaks and valleys of the flight schedule won't be as pronounced... I believe the goal is to add (or probably move) a few more flights during those off times, particularly during the middle of the day, to help reduce some of the super long connections, especially for the coast to coast traffic.
No, this move will do exactly the opposite -- accentuate the banks, not spread things out.

Originally Posted by luckypierre
I am curious about minimum connection times. I have never done a comparison to see if there are airline differences at airports, but since airport websites publish the times, presumably the time is a result of negotiations among airport authorities/airlines? Some of them seem to be pushing reality-the 45 mn UA domestic to UA international at SFO sticks in my mind.
In my experience MCTs assume on-time arrivals, no delays in gating or jetway jockeying, rapid deplaning, no weather problems, timely shuttles / airtrains / whatever that are not broken, fit sprightly travelers who can move through concourses at top speed, and no need for bathroom stops. We all know how often all those stars align in real life.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
Ask the facts.

Delta is the only one with a meaningfully superior reliability record.

In May, last BTS month available, AA and UA had identical 76% on-time records. Delta was at 84%.

For the quarter reported by the companies it was 80% AA, 76% UA.

You should be concerned about banking with AA if you are concerned about UA banking.
We'll agree to disagree then - if you're not a FF of both airlines, it is understandably tough to compare.

Those of us who are, do get there is definitely a difference. AA's banking doesn't concern me.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 8:30 am

Programs: United Million Mile Flyer, Hilton Silver, Marriott Gold, DL, AA WN
Originally Posted by channa
Delta is far less interdependent than United these days. DL is more likely to fly a plane and crew out and back (e.g., ATL-FLL-ATL), whereas UA is more likely to fly them out and elsewhere (e.g., IAH-FLL-EWR).

Not saying this is always the case, but DL is less likely to have an issue at one hub airport ripple through completely unrelated flights elsewhere.
The UX carriers are even worse. They fly all over the place. A delay at one airport causes down line problems.

Connection times are way to short at ORD as it is. Even in good weather by the middle of the day (if not earlier), UX flights are very late at ORD = missed connections.

And sometimes (like in SBN) the airport is served by two different UX carriers- complicating any kind of delay.

The last time I connected at ORD, I left myself a 2:30 connection time - and I just made my mainline connection.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
AA's banking doesn't concern me.
As far as a direct UA-to-AA comparison goes, it's AA's irrops recovery that doesn't concern me. I've had AA connections through ORD cancel twice this year and had speedy, friendly, flexible help in getting on my way both times. Since 2012 IME that just doesn't happen at United. If you are going to schedule sub-1:00 connections UA had better have a smooth-running system for coping with the many passengers who don't make it. United doesn't.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by BearX220
No, this move will do exactly the opposite -- accentuate the banks, not spread things out.
That's not what I've heard, at least as far as DEN goes. For example if there are 17 departures in the 1100 bank and just three departures in the 1400 bank right now, they're going to increase the 1400 bank to five or six departures and decrease the 1100 bank. So that way some of the people who come in on those morning flights don't have to sit around until 1700 or later for their connection.

It might be different in ORD and IAH, as I doubt their banks are as pronounced as DEN. But as far as I know, they're aiming to spread out the peaks of the schedule, not make them even larger than they are currently.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

That's not what I've heard, at least as far as DEN goes. ...they're aiming to spread out the peaks of the schedule, not make them even larger than they are currently.
Did you read the story?

"The airline's plan to reconfigure flight operations at its hubs is known as 're-banking.' That means that instead of spacing flights evenly throughout the day, dozens of planes will land and take off within a narrow period, saving time on connections and boosting profitability."
Old Jul 29, 2014, 9:07 am

Originally Posted by BearX220
Did you read the story?

"The airline's plan to reconfigure flight operations at its hubs is known as 're-banking.' That means that instead of spacing flights evenly throughout the day, dozens of planes will land and take off within a narrow period, saving time on connections and boosting profitability."
Well apparently the author is misinformed. DEN already has heavy banks in the morning and evening, and next to nothing in between. Would be pretty hard to make it anymore pronounced than it already is.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 9:24 am

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus(ick)
We'll agree to disagree then - if you're not a FF of both airlines, it is understandably tough to compare.

Those of us who are, do get there is definitely a difference. AA's banking doesn't concern me.
I agree with you. I'm not very concerned about AA's banking.
Even though their on time record is statistically insignificant from UA's....anecdotally, I've never been more than 15min late on any of my AA flights in near 2years since leaving UA......which ALL of my flights were 30-90min. late after 3/3. Which then meant that I missed 90% of my connections.
Horrendous.
Never had to break a sweat with an AA connection yet.
(Again, anecdotally).
Old Jul 29, 2014, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Well apparently the author is misinformed.
Not to quibble, but by your lights then United management is also misinformed about its own operations, as the author is quoting UA people verbatim.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 9:40 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
When is this supposed to start?

Has anyone else's itins been rife with schedule changes? I spent 40 min on the phone w/ UA last night, and 30 min this morning cleaning up schedule changes.

Last edited by Madone59; Jul 29, 2014 at 12:28 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.